About Hakstol

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
MacDonald had a better +/- than Provorov.

240_F_68547409_qgEvpgNOXeekY8XzHcvElhcmhbQ5lwsS.jpg

Reactions: kelmitchell

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
Underhanded?

A Mod. shut it down, not "you guys". I guess exposing your unique opinion was deemed trolling and revenge. I guess they didn't take it as an honest opinion either.
Let's stop the bickering for a second, ok?

In your opinion, do you believe that was a fair poll and remotely representative of the true opinions of the main board? Do you think 3 votes is an accurate representation?

No more bickering. An honest and simple yes or no will suffice.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Let's stop the bickering for a second, ok?

In your opinion, do you believe that was a fair poll and remotely representative of the true opinions of the main board? Do you think 3 votes is an accurate representation?

No more bickering. An honest and simple yes or no will suffice.

Yes it was a fair poll. I put your direct words and asked if people agreed or disagreed. I also did not use your name at all.

No I don't think your opinion is representative of the true opinions in the main board. You are an outlier.

Obviously 3 votes is a small sample size. I wish it had stayed open longer to see what other people thought of your comments. You would have gotten some votes by Flyer haters or trolls. But if left open for a week, you would have been slaughtered in that poll and it would have been shut down anyways.

If you honestly believe Provy is bad defensively, then the next decade of hockey will be awful for you to watch. Because he is very likely to be our best defender during that time.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Yes it was a fair poll. I put your direct words and asked if people agreed or disagreed. I also did not use your name at all.

No I don't think your opinion is representative of the true opinions in the main board. You are an outlier.

Obviously 3 votes is a small sample size. I wish it had stayed open longer to see what other people thought of your comments. You would have gotten some votes by Flyer haters or trolls. But if left open for a week, you would have been slaughtered in that poll and it would have been shut down anyways.

If you honestly believe Provy is bad defensively, then the next decade of hockey will be awful for you to watch. Because he is very likely to be our best defender during that time.
Don't waste your time on this dude. He hijacked the Hakstol thread to post purely incendiary garbage not to merely express an opinion. I have seen Werenski play about a dozen games including four live and every Flyer game including about ten live. Werenski is a nice offensive player on a stacked team that really lacked a good PPQB which is what he is. He was clearly being sheltered in 75% of the games I saw where Provorov by necessity drew the toughest assignments with a marginal NHL partner. By year end he was not only was our best defensemen he probably was our best player. Having people vote on players they have only seen clips of is meaningless.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Yeah, let's get back to the real purpose of this thread; bashing Hakstol. :)

Ron made a very unconventional and risky move in hiring Hakstol. I questioned it at the time, and I question it now.

Hak gets full marks for developing the North Dakota program and coaching some very good players. But that was a college program. And while he was successful, he never won the NCAA championship. He had a good profile for an NHL assistant coach hire, or, perhaps, an AHL head coaching job, but an NHL head coach? A guy with zero pro coaching experience? I just don't get it.

In the cap era, you have to look for advantages where you can get them. You pay for top scouting talent because you need it, and there's no League cap on what you can spend on it. The same goes with coaching.

I hate to say it, but the Leafs move to spend big on experienced coaching talent seems to be working for them. Our move to bring in a guy who's had to learn the pro game on the job? Not so impressive.

I hope Dave makes me look like a dumb doubting Thomas and leads the club to its first Cup in a long time. But, for me, Hexy's decision to hire him for the Flyers was just a little too cute, too risky, and unnecessary.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Smantas(sp?) vibes anyone?

Bear with me, I just woke up and I'm punchy and panting, but let me posit this theory:

John Boruk, AKA Junk567, the literal voice of the Flyers, fails to migrate to the new site. Suddenly, a new poster shows up calling himself "Voice of the Flyers" and posting both new junk and Junk567-style junk covered in bile, condescension, and fecal matter.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you: Mr. John Boruk ...

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: bennysflyers16

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
I think you're the one who's out to lunch. These articles prove zero. You guys said so yourselves that the beats don't know anything and you're using baseless articles by people you've said know nothing to prove that he was good all year?

He wasn't good with any consistency until January.

Provorov had a couple of bad games early, then he stabilized as early as late october. Check out the provorov thread last year on the main boards where a rangers fan if im not mistaken questioned Provorov's readiness after the chicago away game. right after that game he started to turn it around. Saying he was horribly bad for the first 2 months is just inaccurate.

Reactions: Foggy14

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Wow, talk about a derailment of a thread. Bottom line, this is the year you can no longer gloss over your honest opinion of Hak. Barring something major, he'll be with this team another 82 games plus any playoffs we manage to grab. At the end of this season, I'd expect the varied angle discussion to end and we should have a clear picture of what this coach really is to this team. Hoping for the best, expecting more of the same.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If Hakstol and Gord Murphy (who had been terrible in his role as defensive coach) were asking Ghost to fundamentally change his game, then they deserve to be fired. As a coach, you come up with a game plan to fit the talent you have available. Hakstol did the exact opposite. If anything, Hakstol has shown he's the one incapable of change. Most great coaches adapt their game plan to the talent they have. Even Mike Babcock did that in Toronto and they're better off for it.

I had high hopes for Hakstol, but I want him and the entire coaching staff gone. They're a detriment to the talent on the team. If the Flyers start out slow again this year and if Hakstol doesn't alter his game plan, then he deserves to get fired.

Last edited:

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
If Hakstol and Gord Murphy (who had been terrible in his role as defensive coach) were asking Ghost to fundamentally change his game, then they deserve to be fired. As a coach, you come up with a game plan to fit the talent you have available. Hakstol did the exact opposite. If anything, Hakstol has shown he's the one incapable of change. Most great coaches adapt their game plan to the talent they have. Even Mike Babcock did that in Toronto and they're better off for it.

I had high hopes for Hakstol, but I want him and the entire coaching staff gone. They're a detriment to the talent on the team. If the Flyers start out slow again this year and if Hakstol didn't alter his game plan, they he deserves to get fired.

Hard to disagree with any of this.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I had high hopes for Hakstol, but I want him and the entire coaching staff gone. They're a detriment to the talent on the team. If the Flyers start out slow again this year and if Hakstol doesn't alter his game plan, then he deserves to get fired.

Actually, you only do that if you're in "win now" mode.

If you're building a team, you decided on a philosophy and general scheme, and reshape your roster to fit that vision.
You don't adjust to your players, because the whole point is to see which players buy into and have the skills to fit the new philosophy.

It's pretty obvious that's what Hextall has been doing, so if Hakstol and Murphy have been trying to get Ghost to be more responsible defensively, that's because it's what they expect from their defensemen. And if Ghost doesn't adjust his game, he'll have a different address in a year or so once they're confident in Sanheim, Myers and Friedman filling his role.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Actually, you only do that if you're in "win now" mode.

If you're building a team, you decided on a philosophy and general scheme, and reshape your roster to fit that vision.
You don't adjust to your players, because the whole point is to see which players buy into and have the skills to fit the new philosophy.

It's pretty obvious that's what Hextall has been doing, so if Hakstol and Murphy have been trying to get Ghost to be more responsible defensively, that's because it's what they expect from their defensemen. And if Ghost doesn't adjust his game, he'll have a different address in a year or so once they're confident in Sanheim, Myers and Friedman filling his role.

They tried to turn Gostisbehere into something he wasn't. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? Every player but Simmonds and Provorov fell to the wayside under Hakstol's watch. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

You keep finding ways to defend the guy, but Mike Babcock had a much worse situation in Toronto and he changed his scheme to fit the players they had and they were successful in getting back to the playoffs. Hakstol didn't and it cost the club. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Your blind faith in a mediocre coach and staff is something off the chart. The man thinks Andrew MacDonald is a viable defenseman. The fact is, everyone who plays with MacDonald seems to suffer. As soon as they're away from him, they perform better. Yet we have a coach who is insistent that MacDonald remains in the lineup. Here's a guy who commits more mistakes and errors than most rookie and second year defenders, yet he gets a pass. Are you trying to tell us that MacDonald gets to continue to play because he fits Hakstol's system? If that's the case, then it's a pretty abhorrent system if a guy like MacDonald continues to get ice time yet guys like Ghost are scratched because they make mistakes. MacDonald can't even God damn defend against the opposition, yet he continues to get ice time and makes the same mistakes repeatedly. But no, let's continue to deploy MacDonald in all situations and not change the game plan to the talent that's available because MacDonald 'fits' the system. It's a joke and you know it. The manis in over his head and to make it worse, Gord Murphy is right there with him leading the charge. If those two inspire you into believing that our young players best interests are best served by having them coaching them, then there's a major disconnect there.

They need to go. They needed to go at the end of last year. The only team in NHL history to have a 10 game win streak and not make the playoffs. Of course, Hakstol hand no hand in that though.....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost gets scratched probably because he's been told repeatedly not to take excessive risks and he continued to make the same mistakes - people talked like he played well last season - well, he sucked, just look at the numbers, at ES he was the worst scoring defenseman and the one with the highest GA/60 by a sizeable margin. Part of this was the injury, part of this was he was careless. Toward the end of the season he was playing better fundamental defense and didn't get benched again.

You don't allow a young player to repeat mistakes if you want him to improve, Edmonton ruined numerous top draft picks by failing to teach them how to play hockey, and just letting them skate and score without learning to play a disciplined, team game - and that's why they were an awful franchise for a decade.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost gets scratched probably because he's been told repeatedly not to take excessive risks and he continued to make the same mistakes - people talked like he played well last season - well, he sucked, just look at the numbers, at ES he was the worst scoring defenseman and the one with the highest GA/60 by a sizeable margin. Part of this was the injury, part of this was he was careless. Toward the end of the season he was playing better fundamental defense and didn't get benched again.

You don't allow a young player to repeat mistakes if you want him to improve, Edmonton ruined numerous top draft picks by failing to teach them how to play hockey, and just letting them skate and score without learning to play a disciplined, team game - and that's why they were an awful franchise for a decade.
If that were true then Manning would be permanently stapled to be bench. He makes more mistakes and doesn't even make up for it by being good at anything at all.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If that were true then Manning would be permanently stapled to be bench. He makes more mistakes and doesn't even make up for it by being good at anything at all.
No no no.....he doesn't count because he has no future here.

i have no issue with guys getting occasionally benched. But a coach needs to be consistent and honest. Konecny has a 2 point game and is +2, then benched next game. Cousins gets benched, and says he is not told why. THAT'S A BIG ISSUE. How is a young player supposed to know why he got benched? Bench a guy, get an assistant to go over game tape with him on what he is doing wrong and the result of his mistakes. Give him a chance to understand why he is being punished.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
No no no.....he doesn't count because he has no future here.

i have no issue with guys getting occasionally benched. But a coach needs to be consistent and honest. Konecny has a 2 point game and is +2, then benched next game. Cousins gets benched, and says he is not told why. THAT'S A BIG ISSUE. How is a young player supposed to know why he got benched? Bench a guy, get an assistant to go over game tape with him on what he is doing wrong and the result of his mistakes. Give him a chance to understand why he is being punished.

I remember that. That was the game against St Louis. And the reason Hakstol gave for benching Konecny was a b.s. excuse too. It was 'to work in the little things.' How the hell do you work in little things when you're in the press box. #hakstolwisdom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad