GDT: "A Oranje Summer" • FREE AGENT FRENZY • July 28 • 10 AM • SN/TSN

Who do you think the Oilers will sign/acquire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If we re-sign Foegele at a 2.5 mil cap hit and Yamamoto at a 2 mil cap hit, & send down Turris/Stalock, we actually still have around $3 million of space. Would love to add another defenseman and/or Tatar.

Obviously dumping Koskinen to a team that needs goaltending (e.g. Buffalo) and then acquiring a goalie should be priority #1 though.
I wish Holland would hurry up so I can make my Grade The Offseason poll.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What are the odd Koskinen won't waive, to go a place like Buffalo? Only a few teams realistically, can even take him.

He would be smart to take anywhere, the Oilers could threaten to send him to the AHL and that would basically be the end of his NHL career, at least with a different franchise, he'd get a shot to play.

North

Jun 25, 2009
What are the odd Koskinen won't waive, to go a place like Buffalo? Only a few teams realistically, can even take him.

Probably good. Both Arizona and Buffalo are obviously tanking. He may not have been willing to waive for either of them.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He would be smart to take anywhere, the Oilers could threaten to send him to the AHL and that would basically be the end of his NHL career, at least with a different franchise, he'd get a shot to play.
I doubt he cares about any threat, he’s going to the KHL after anyways. California is probably a better place to play than any of the places on his NT list too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I doubt he cares about any threat, he’s going to the KHL after anyways. California is probably a better place to play than any of the places on his NT list too.

If he doesn't care and is going to the KHL next year anyway, well why not actually go somewhere you'll play.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Theirs is a little higher than mine because they have most of Turris's cap hit currently buried in the AHL.

It looks like they have 1.1- which I thought it was- but the numbers are close enough between yours and puckpedia. Even a 2M retention on Keith would have been huge

Reactions: Del Preston

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If he doesn't care and is going to the KHL next year anyway, well why not actually go somewhere you'll play.
If you were in his shoes would you waive? There is no incentive for him to, assuming all the places on his list are either terrible teams or undesirable cities to play in.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Arizona/Buffalo Tankfest 2: Electric Boogaloo

I hope a team who was just crappy sneaks up and steals 1st overall again like in 2015.

I was trying to think of who could challenge them and looking at the dog’s breakfast that is Vancouver’s d, they may just be crappy enough to challenge for it.

Reactions: Del Preston

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If you were in his shoes would you waive? There is no incentive for him to, assuming all the places on his list are either terrible teams or undesirable cities to play in.

Beats being shunned by your teammates and booed by the fans. ;)

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I would if I really felt I was not wanted lol. I would feel so awkward.

If an owner just wants to throw money around and send him to the AHL, is that off of the cap?

Didn't the Rangers do that to Redden.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I mean if it was clear the Oilers no longer want me and I'm not going to get starts or worse be demoted to the AHL, sure I'd waive for Buffalo or whatever.

Who knows maybe you do better than expected there (which would be low to begin with) and they give you another 2-3 year NHL contract.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
The more I think about it, the more I would like for us to target Georgiev. Assuming Elvis isn’t an option and looking at next years goalie class in free agency, Georgiev probably our best bet on having a goalie play as a starter or be a 1A.

Got buried in New York but maybe given a chance to be the guy, might do wonders for him. I would take the gamble on him. Only 25 years old as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I’d probably take that or a demotion to California over accepting a trade to Buffalo.

AHL lifestyle still sucks by comparison ... riding the bus and all that.

Don't kid yourself even on the worst NHL team, players are treated top class with private charters, meals, good hotels, etc. etc.

There's very, very few players, I don't think any honestly that would rather be in the AHL than the NHL.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
There's still time to bring a goalie in, a Kassian for Jarry/Georgiev deal seems possible. I'd do my DD on Bishop/Lundy/Rask health, worst case could be a cheap gamble if one can come back for the second half, limp through with Koskinen/Stalock backing up Smith and then put together the oldest goalie tandem in the league lol. Never know sometimes these old teddy's have renaissance moments.

The forward group improved and the D went in the other direction but overall I think we got better, hopefully Hyman can give us a few good years at least, I definitely like the type of players they targeted up front.

Back end, it definitely got worse, I don't love the acquisitions but gotta remember the blue line lost their #1 defender last year, who looks done (thank god Nurse did what he did) then this year Larsson decides he doesn't want to be here anymore, losing two of your top 3 defenders against your will isn't easy to overcome. They kept the Nurse/Barrie pairing together, Nurse really seemed to flourish alongside Barrie, who led the league in dman scoring, let's keep that going. Barrie's deal is great and if Bouchard progresses, Barrie is probably a nice trade chip in a year or two, depending on his trade clause. Second pairing is total wildcard, I'm hopeful Keith can turn back time with a reduced role and having his kid closer. Don't like the Ceci deal, would of liked a more capable defender even if he was a lefty and cheaper/shorter term but clearly the market put value on those types. Would of been nice to keep some cap flexibility to try and entice Parayko home if he we're to hit free agency next offseason.

I like the Kassian trade to NYR for Georgiev. Sign Tatar for cheap. Add a Ryan Murray at LD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille