GDT: "A Oranje Summer" • FREE AGENT FRENZY • July 28 • 10 AM • SN/TSN

Who do you think the Oilers will sign/acquire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would if I really felt I was not wanted lol. I would feel so awkward.

If an owner just wants to throw money around and send him to the AHL, is that off of the cap?

Didn't the Rangers do that to Redden.
You can only bury 1.1M or something like that of any contract in the minors, the rest still counts on the cap.

I’d probably take feeling awkward than playing on a shit team and getting lit up every game, or in a crappy city that I won’t even be in in a years time.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I mean if it was clear the Oilers no longer want me and I'm not going to get starts or worse be demoted to the AHL, sure I'd waive for Buffalo or whatever.

Who knows maybe you do better than expected there (which would be low to begin with) and they give you another 2-3 year NHL contract.
I very much doubt he wants to stay in the NHL even if gets offered another contract. I don’t think it matters to him what you threaten him with in terms of playing time or demotion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I very much doubt he wants to stay in the NHL even if gets offered another contract. I don’t think it matters to him what you threaten him with in terms of playing time or demotion.

We're not trading with Buffalo anyway as they have no goalie to offer us.

We'd be trading with like Ottawa or Anaheim or Columbus, a team like that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
AHL lifestyle still sucks by comparison ... riding the bus and all that.

Don't kid yourself even on the worst NHL team, players are treated top class with private charters, meals, good hotels, etc. etc.

There's very, very few players, I don't think any honestly that would rather be in the AHL than the NHL.
Well first, I’d probably call the Oilers bluff. If you don’t/can’t trade me, then you probably won’t actually demote me because I’m still better than Skinner and Stalock, and Smith can’t play every game.

And I’d rationalize to myself that if I was wrong about the bluff, playing in California is still better than a year in Buffalo getting shelled every game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We're not trading with Buffalo anyway as they have no goalie to offer us.

We'd be trading with like Ottawa or Anaheim or Columbus, a team like that.
Yeah I wouldn’t be waiving for Ottawa or Columbus either lol.

Anaheim actually has a chance of not being on his limited NT list anyway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I wouldn’t be waiving for Ottawa or Columbus either lol.

Anaheim actually has a chance of not being on his limited NT list anyway.

It's not like Edmonton is a tropical paradise with a ton to do in the winter. If you're not wanted here by the team and really your teammates have given up on you, I'd go elsewhere.

Ottawa was a fun up and coming team last year, minus their record against the Oilers, they were basically in line with a team like the Flames (lol). The travel out East is much better than out West also.

Columbus has strong Finnish ties with Jarmo there and probably the top Finnish phenom in Patrik Laine. Probably he'd be comfortable there.

The Oilers are a Canadian team with high expectations from a rabid fan base too, who needs things like the harrassment from fans if things go downhill ... in Ottawa they're in a rebuilding phase so you're not gonna get much grief, in Ohio no one cares that much, hockey is like a 4th place sport.

In Edmonton if he plays badly again next year ... dude better not have any social media accounts, because it's liable to get ugly.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I do wonder what we have to add to a 50% retained Koskinen for Georgiev

Koskinen replaces him as a backup, it's a wash in Salary for both teams pretty much.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's not like Edmonton is a tropical paradise with a ton to do in the winter. If you're not wanted here by the team and really your teammates have given up on you, I'd go elsewhere.

Ottawa was a fun up and coming team last year, minus their record against the Oilers, they were basically in line with a team like the Flames (lol). The travel out East is much better than out West also.

Columbus has strong Finnish ties with Jarmo there and probably the top Finnish phenom in Patrik Laine. Probably he'd be comfortable there.

The Oilers are a Canadian team with high expectations from a rabid fan base too, who needs things like the harrassment from fans if things go downhill ... in Ottawa they're in a rebuilding phase so you're not gonna get much grief, in Ohio no one cares that much, hockey is like a 4th place sport.
If those were his actual considerations then those teams wouldn’t be on his list anyways. If you’re asking him to waive for a team on his list it’s likely because there is a specific reason he doesn’t want to go there. In a situation like that it’d be difficult to persuade him to waive because he likely doesn’t care about any potential ramifications on his NHL future.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
His problem isn't training. His problem is he's not good. At all
That's too harsh and too hot a take, the man has a 0.907 career sv% that's solid back-up numbers, he's making low end starter money so sure it'd be nice if his save percentage was 0.005 higher putting him in line with what you'd expect of people making that kind of money, but it's not his fault Chia gave him that money.

Goaltending is a rough highly contested business, you can be the 40th-60th best goaltender in the entire world and someone on the internet is basically saying you suck cause of it. I suspect very few people on this board are among the 100 best in the world at their profession of choice, yet when you are a goaltender if you aren't in the top 3rd, some might even say top 1/5th of that spectrum is pretty likely someone will be shitting on your performance.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's too harsh and too hot a take, the man has a 0.907 career sv% that's solid back-up numbers, he's making low end starter money so sure it'd be nice if his save percentage was 0.005 higher putting him in line with what you'd expect of people making that kind of money, but it's not his fault Chia gave him that money.

Goaltending is a rough highly contested business, you can be the 40th-60th best goaltender in the entire world and someone on the internet is basically saying you suck cause of it. I suspect very few people on this board are among the 100 best in the world at their profession of choice, yet when you are a goaltender if you aren't in the top 3rd, some might even say top 1/5th of that spectrum is pretty likely someone will be shitting on your performance.

Great post and good perspective to keep in mind

I’ve been more than critical of Koskinen this season but we should all keep in mind that last offseason very few posters wanted Mike Smith back. Not saying that they don’t need to part ways with Koskinen but it’s something to think about

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Watching Mike Johnson talk about the Oilers on TSN and claiming we are the “losers” amongst Canadian teams and the Canucks are the winners is absolutely hilarious.

Apparently Canucks fans have a lot to excited about IF, and I quote, he said if it all comes together. OEL bouncing back, Halak playing well. Garland being a good pickup.

But when it comes to the Oilers, they improved up front but bringing in Keith, Ceci and Barrie back might not be enough to offset the loss of Larsson :laugh:

What the actual f*** happened to TSN. It’s a joke now. Someone needs to show them our defence to start the season last year and the defence we will ice to start this year. They’re legit clueless.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Watching Mike Johnson talk about the Oilers on TSN and claiming we are the “losers” amongst Canadian teams and the Canucks are the winners is absolutely hilarious.

Apparently Canucks fans have a lot to excited about IF, and I quote, he said if it all comes together. OEL bouncing back, Halak playing well. Garland being a good pickup.

But when it comes to the Oilers, they improved up front but bringing in Keith, Ceci and Barrie back might not be enough to offset the loss of Larsson :laugh:

What the actual f*** happened to TSN. It’s a joke now. Someone needs to show them our defence to start the season last year and the defence we will ice to start this year. They’re legit clueless.

Mike Johnson has always been a smug prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino