GDT: "A Oranje Summer" • FREE AGENT FRENZY • July 28 • 10 AM • SN/TSN

Who do you think the Oilers will sign/acquire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's played two NHL seasons.

I look at it this way: The Canes have been developing good D and know what it takes to build a solid blueline. They picked up Bear.

That scares me, because I've seen how good Bear can be healthy.

I think we lose the trade in the long term. Bear's potential is SIGNIFICANTLY higher. I don't know if he reaches it, I hope he does, but if he does, he is easily a good second pairing guy. Those players are worth a LOT more than a middle six winger.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Hey remember when the Leafs were in on everyone somehow? My theory ended up being true. It’s not that they had to cap to go after so many players, it’s that they had so little cap that they pretty much had to be in on everyone and throw lowball offers until someone bit. Looks like not much bites were had, guess the pajama boy supply is running low in the League now. So they ended up with someone of the most nothing players of the entire offseason. Good shit.
Pajama boy supply running low ... lol :biglaugh:

Best line evah!!!

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I know a lot of people have had RNH penciled in the top 6, but I was thinking maybe lineup looks better with him on line 3?

Foegele- McDavid - Pulju
Hyman - Drai - Yams
Holloway - RNH - Kass
McLeod - Ryan - Archi

Reactions: Heavy Dee

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I know a lot of people have had RNH penciled in the top 6, but I was thinking maybe lineup looks better with him on line 3?

Foegele- McDavid - Pulju
Hyman - Drai - Yams
Holloway - RNH - Kass
McLeod - Ryan - Archi

You can possibly try it in playoffs but regular season there aren’t enough minutes to go around.

I posted this lineup in another thread but I would like to see this lineup tried at some point:

Foegele Mcdavid Hyman
Nuge Drai Puju
Benson McLeod Yamo (sheltered line)
Archi Ryan Kass

I think we all know what the obvious lineup is but I would want to give Foegele a chance on the top line with Connor and see if him and Hyman can click with Mcdavid.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
You can possibly try it in playoffs but regular season there aren’t enough minutes to go around.

I posted this lineup in another thread but I would like to see this lineup tried at some point:

Foegele Mcdavid Hyman
Nuge Drai Puju
Benson McLeod Yamo (sheltered line)
Archi Ryan Kass

I think we all know what the obvious lineup is but I would want to give Foegele a chance on the top line with Connor and see if him and Hyman can click with Mcdavid.

Sure there are. Just cut back on McDrai's 28 minutes a night. Dont get me wrong, they are amazing and I love watching them play... but I dont want them playing half the game every regular season. Save the gas in those tanks for the playoffs.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Sure there are. Just cut back on McDrai's 28 minutes a night. Dont get me wrong, they are amazing and I love watching them play... but I dont want them playing half the game every regular season. Save the gas in those tanks for the playoffs.

I mean even if Mcdavid and Drai average 20 minutes a game. Say Nuge averages 18, what does that leave the 4th line with? We’re a deep team up front for the first time. I would let the top 6 roll and be okay with third line playing more minutes. You can and should still roll back Mcdavid and Drai’s minutes in regular season now that we have more depth.

How many teams honestly split their top players like that in the regular season? Even the Pens didn’t do that when they won their ship and split Crosby-Malkin-Kessel. Malkin and Kessel played top 6 all year till playoffs where they formed the Kessel-Bonino-Hagelin line.

Like I said, in playoffs I’m open to it. Regular season I don’t think it’s sustainable for long spurts.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
If McDavid has any say, Foegele and Hyman will be his game one wingers.

I think this is a given. Foegele also wanted more opportunity in Carolina, said he had some honest conversations. Seravelli saying he thinks he can pot 20 goals. I think Puju is about to join Nuge and Drai. Which I’m all for, I would love to see how Puju and Drai click together. Always felt they would work well and just seems like Drai communicates more with Puju than Mcdavid does/did. Also could be wrong on that lol just going by what we’ve seen on TV

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I mean even if Mcdavid and Drai average 20 minutes a game. Say Nuge averages 18, what does that leave the 4th line with? We’re a deep team up front for the first time. I would let the top 6 roll and be okay with third line playing more minutes. You can and should still roll back Mcdavid and Drai’s minutes in regular season now that we have more depth.

How many teams honestly split their top players like that in the regular season? Even the Pens didn’t do that when they won their ship and split Crosby-Malkin-Kessel. Malkin and Kessel played top 6 all year till playoffs they formed the Kessel Bonino and Hagelin line.

Like I said, in playoffs I’m open to it. Regular season I don’t think it’s sustainable for long spurts.

I mean;
4-6 Minutes PP
14-17 Minutes McDavid 5 on 5
14-17 Minutes Drai 5 on 5
4-6 Minutes PK
9-12 Minutes RNH Line 5 on 5
6-8 Minutes Line 4 5 on 5

You have McDrai & Nuge playing 20+ minutes a night, our top PKers around 12-15. Literally the entire team is playing ideal amounts. You have Kass / Holloway / McLeod sheltered a bit at 5 on 5, but thats fine.

Where is the lack of minutes coming from?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I know this most likely was posted already. But it's crazy Dubas turned down 2 picks for that 8th year on Hyman's contract. They really expected the value to be the same if not more as a true salary retention. Complete insanity.

Wow that cap savings for the Oilers is worth a lot. I can only imagine Oilers divisional opponents tried to stress they wouldn't be happy if the Leafs helped us out.

A 5th and a 7th, or maybe even a 5th and a 6th. Of course it would have been next year's 5th because the Oilers didn't have one this year, it went in the Ennis trade.

But still. :eek2:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think this is a given. Foegele also wanted more opportunity in Carolina, said he had some honest conversations. Seravelli saying he thinks he can pot 20 goals. I think Puju is about to join Nuge and Drai. Which I’m all for, I would love to see how Puju and Drai click together. Always felt they would work well and just seems like Drai communicates more with Puju than Mcdavid does/did. Also could be wrong on that lol just going by what we’ve seen on TV

I say we gamble and sign him to 5 x 3.5 or so. He will cost closer to 5 if he scores 15-20 even strength goals and plays a robust game.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
God damn dude, if you add Prime Peca to this club I'd start planning the parade.

Peca wasn't on the 06-07 Oilers, lol.

I would say the best actual forward group the Oilers have had in the last 20 years was really the one from like March 2016 ...

McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, RNH, Maroon, Eberle, Kassian.

That group just never got to play together because of various injuries and/or there was no blue line help. Klefbom got a freaking staph infection causing him to miss the enitre season from December onwards, Nurse was still taking his baby steps, etc. etc.

If they had just stuck with that group and not started doing stupid things like betting the farm on a massive Lucic contract, they probably would have been much further ahead in the long run.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If Foegele plays with McDavid, and Puljujarvi with Drai, where exactly does Yamo fit? I don’t want him on a line with Ryan. McLeod maybe but we’d need a big LW with them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Foegele plays with McDavid, and Puljujarvi with Drai, where exactly does Yamo fit? I don’t want him on a line with Ryan. McLeod maybe but we’d need a big LW with them.

I guess camp will figure all that out, though knowing Tippett by game 3 the roster will be

Hyman McDavid Draisaitl
Yamamoto RNH Archibald

Bouchard - scratched for Kris Russell

Oilers49er

Jun 25, 2018

Yams is optimal as a 3rd liner. I think that is his calling.

Plus if things need to be changed you can move up.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad