Value of: #9 plus (NYR) for #5 (ARZ)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Zucc has the same value if not more than Stepan did

Ehh, I wouldn't give 7th overall for Zuccarello. He's expiring and 2 years older than Stepan was when traded. Zucc is just a little bit cheaper. And Stepan as a 4 year deal already had his most expensive seasons paid for and the 4 years here his AAV is only 5.75M. Zucc is worth a tick more than what Arizona got for Hanzal from Minnesota. Maybe a little more right because you'd have a full season of him. Not worth a top 10 pick.

Not commenting on the original deal quoted which wasn't particularly good.

I also think 5OA is worth a decent bit more than 7OA last year due to the perceived quality of the draft.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Ehh, I wouldn't give 7th overall for Zuccarello. He's expiring and 2 years older than Stepan was when traded. Zucc is just a little bit cheaper. And Stepan as a 4 year deal already had his most expensive seasons paid for and the 4 years here his AAV is only 5.75M. Zucc is worth a tick more than what Arizona got for Hanzal from Minnesota. Maybe a little more right because you'd have a full season of him. Not worth a top 10 pick.

Not commenting on the original deal quoted which wasn't particularly good.

I also think 5OA is worth a decent bit more than 7OA last year due to the perceived quality of the draft.

Zucc is a better player than Stepan though. And a much smaller cap hit.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
massive overpay from NYR.
Zucc has the same value if not more than Stepan did. No way in hell Arizona gets 2 50 point players and a first for a first.

I think the 5th this year is going to be quite a bit better tha 7th last year and thus the value is greater, but I can also appreciate your position.

I also look at what is the incentive? A fair deal doesn't provide the requisite incentive to get the Yotes to do a deal. Overpaying with assets we are deep on is not terribad if we can get the guy we want.

AND the Rangers keep the 9th overall selection.

I can see the downside to the trade, but I also see the upside

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just think Arizona decides to trade down and NYR trades up to get Evan Bouchard.

It would be something like:

NYR:
5th overall pick

Arizona:
9th overall pick
88th overall pick
6th 2019

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I just think Arizona decides to trade down and NYR trades up to get Evan Bouchard.

NYR:
5th overall pick

Arizona:
9th overall pick
88th overall pick
6th 2019
Definitely not enough. The "88th pick" asset NEEDS to be a better asset, even if that means that the third piece is removed.

Reactions: ck26

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Definitely not enough. The "88th pick" asset NEEDS to be a better asset, even if that means that the third piece is removed.
+1 ... a 5th next year is nothing ... a late 3rd is hardly a prize. Which player or players in your org would you give up for a late 3rd? Any interesting ones? Probably not. Why would ARZ give up the better pick for a not-that-interesting return?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd really like to have the 3OA, but I'd prefer to give up picks for it rather than a guy I see as McD's replacement.
I hear you but you gotta be open about the other club may want a known commodity now rather than a theoretically better talent available down the road.
Different clubs with different objectives want different packages.
Not one size fits all, have to field best of competitive offers.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

NYR:
5th overall pick

Arizona:
9th overall pick
88th overall pick
6th 2019
I'm hoping they are looking for Dobson.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
+1 ... a 5th next year is nothing ... a late 3rd is hardly a prize. Which player or players in your org would you give up for a late 3rd? Any interesting ones? Probably not. Why would ARZ give up the better pick for a not-that-interesting return?

Not arguing value - you're absolutely right, but why would the Rangers waste any assets (late third or not) to move up 4 spots and then pick Bouchard when someone just as good if not better will be available at 9? Bouchard himself could be available at 9 for all we know - the whole post is off - not just the trade value.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I hear you but you gotta be open about the other club may want a known commodity now rather than a theoretically better talent available down the road.
Different clubs with different objectives want different packages.
Not one size fits all, have to field best of competitive offers.

I'm not willing to spite the future of the team by moving one of the players we should be dedicated to making part of our core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad