Value of: #9 plus (NYR) for #5 (ARZ)

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Hypothetically, what if NYR scouts are telling Gorton they are VERY confident that one of these (non Dahlin) defensemen will become a #1 guy, and they know which guy it is?

First four picks are highly likely all forwards and Dahlin. Arizona is in a position to take any other D in the draft at #5, but their fans are looking at Wahlstrom primarily and worried about Chayka preferring Tkachuk. Both forwards.

#6 #7 #8 are all rumoured to be targetting defensemen. DET (Bouchard Hughes Boqvist), VAN (Dobson Hughes Bouchard) and CHI (Hughes Dobson Bouchard). Only real forward interest I've read on here is Tkachuk at #7 if Dobson is already gone.

What does NYR have to pay ARZ in order to move up and guarantee they get the D that their scouts project to be a #1? Keep in mind that Wahlstrom will likely still be available at #9 for Arizona, as well as one other top 10 projected player (best guess is Kotkaniemi or Boqvist).

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This thread would have been easier just saying.. "What would Rangers have to offer to swap picks with Arizona" Instead we have "If Arizona can definitely pick who they want at #9, what's the cost?". Does that change with the offer increasing if Arizona likely doesn't get the player they want at #9?

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
With the idea of a choice of the 3 top RD in this draft sitting at 5, going by OP and most consensus that Dahlin and 3 forwards go 1-4, I don't see why ARI would move from the spot without some major payment. Looking at their D, they have OEL and Chychrun on LD and all signed RD are 30+ and I don't see much in the RD pipeline. I can't see why they wouldn't be all over 1 of Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Don’t think Rangers should pay the price but let’s say your theory is true about the scouts having their eye on top D man outside of Dahlin...

Arizona gets Zuccarello, 9oa, 70oa

Rangers get 5oa, Max Domi, 55oa

I feel the Rangers can get a better payment of Zucc but interested in the value

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's an interesting exercise this year. The players from #4 to #9 seem to be pretty closely ranked in the overall consensus. So on one hand you could argue you should be able to get a player at #9 with similar value to #5.

On the other hand, all the teams are going to have very different rankings of the prospects and will almost certainly value the player at #5 on their list significantly higher then the one at #9.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hypothetically, what if NYR scouts are telling Gorton they are VERY confident that one of these (non Dahlin) defensemen will become a #1 guy, and they know which guy it is?

First four picks are highly likely all forwards and Dahlin. Arizona is in a position to take any other D in the draft at #5, but their fans are looking at Wahlstrom primarily and worried about Chayka preferring Tkachuk. Both forwards.

#6 #7 #8 are all rumoured to be targetting defensemen. DET (Bouchard Hughes Boqvist), VAN (Dobson Hughes Bouchard) and CHI (Hughes Dobson Bouchard). Only real forward interest I've read on here is Tkachuk at #7 if Dobson is already gone.

What does NYR have to pay ARZ in order to move up and guarantee they get the D that their scouts project to be a #1? Keep in mind that Wahlstrom will likely still be available at #9 for Arizona, as well as one other top 10 projected player (best guess is Kotkaniemi or Boqvist).

Great OP.

I think the answer is yes, 'yotes are willing enough to make it available, but it depends on how much competitive bid there is for the pick.

Zuc might be involved, but assume they are thinking more like
9 + 28 + Namest
for
5OA + 2nd

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Great OP.

I think the answer is yes, 'yotes are willing enough to make it available, but it depends on how much competitive bid there is for the pick.

Zuc might be involved, but assume they are thinking more like
9 + 28 + Namest
for
5OA + 2nd

Are you aware that Arizona doesn’t have their original 2nd? They have a late second that is 55oa

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
sorry i just don't see the need to go from 9 to 5 and burn an asset,
there is so much differences of opinion regarding players 3-12 anyway, a player NYR really wants will likely be there at 9

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
With OEL agreeing to a deal, did he get assurances that the team is going to be players for major improvements now, not in 2 years when whoever they get at 5 may help.

I could see a deal for 5 that gets them now help without requiring a top 10 selection in return.

I think the Yotes motivation has changed somewhat over the last few weeks (as OEL negotiations progressed)

Zuccs, Spooner and the TB 1st for 5OA

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
With OEL agreeing to a deal, did he get assurances that the team is going to be players for major improvements now, not in 2 years when whoever they get at 5 may help.

I could see a deal for 5 that gets them now help without requiring a top 10 selection in return.

I think the Yotes motivation has changed somewhat over the last few weeks (as OEL negotiations progressed)

Zuccs, Spooner and the TB 1st for 5OA

Chayka all but ruled out trading the 5 OA outright for an NHL player last week:

"It's wide open and we'll just have to see how the first four picks evolve, but that's not really of our concern," Chayka said Wednesday. "We feel strongly about that group of players (at the top of the draft) and we know there's going to be a player at No. 5 that we're really excited to get … Last year, obviously, we traded our first-round pick, and part of that was we didn't feel as strongly or as passionately about that pick as we did say Clayton Keller (at No. 7) the year before, and not as passionately as we do this year. There's a lot of conviction in our scouts and their beliefs in the players that we believe are going to be there when we pick fifth, so we plan on holding the pick and taking the pick and getting a great player."

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Chayka all but ruled out trading the 5 OA outright for an NHL player last week:

Seems like a mistake in my humble opinion.

At some point, an effort has to be made to bring in more immediate help when you have a defender like OEL in the prime of their career.

5OA is not going to help for 2 years at the least and more likely not until 3 years.

That's a lot of wasted hockey for OEL

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Seems like a mistake in my humble opinion.

At some point, an effort has to be made to bring in more immediate help when you have a defender like OEL in the prime of their career.

5OA is not going to help for 2 years at the least and more likely not until 3 years.

That's a lot of wasted hockey for OEL

We brought in immediate help last year by trading the 7th OA for starting goaltender and a 2C. Our biggest holes on the roster are a true first pairing RD and a 1C, and we aren't going to land either of those without giving up an exorbitant amount of young talent and the 5th OA. I'm sure OEL was well aware of this during negotiations and indicated his willingness to resign anyway to a team-friendly deal.

There are ways to find immediate help for our young core without giving up a top five pick.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We brought in immediate help last year by trading the 7th OA for starting goaltender and a 2C. Our biggest holes on the roster are a true first pairing RD and a 1C, and we aren't going to land either of those without giving up an exorbitant amount of young talent and the 5th OA. I'm sure OEL was well aware of this during negotiations and indicated his willingness to resign anyway to a team-friendly deal.

There are ways to find immediate help for our young core without giving up a top five pick.

Fair points.

Never hurts to have a top 5 selection waiting in the wings as additional help, or a trade chip later in the year/season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad