GDT: 9/20/17 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina [Preseason Game 2]

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Didn't watch the game in its entirity, but saw enough to get a feel for some of the young guys. Katchouk stood out for me as far as forwards. He struck me as a puckhound, like Gourde, and I liked what little I saw from him. Cirelli looked a little too amped up, and another year should serve him well. Beyond that, I actually thought Cirelli was Erne at first as they play a pretty similar game from the standpoint of physicality.

Sergachev is unquestionably talented, but he still has a bit of work to do. He struck me as a little lazy and/or indifferent defensively. Doubt Coop'll overlook that. I'd peg his ceiling directly to his work ethic. He'll be really good if he wants to be. It'll be interesting to see what happens because we could use him on the power play immediately. Didn't see anything extra from Peca or Conacher, and while I thought Koekoek looked a little better than he did last year, it's probably not enough to make a difference. Erne looked fine to me. There's literally no reason for him to be on the outside looking in if he's fighting anyone save Vlad or Point for a spot.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Sergachev (22:16) & Cernak (20:27) had the most ice time. Both +3. Cernak: 2 shots, 7 hits, 4 blocks.

Koekkoek (19:01) & Foote (18:36) pairing the with 3rd and 5th most ice time. Quality minutes for Foote, who also had team high 5 blocks, in back to back nights.

Dumont - 12/15 (80%) on faceoffs

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev (22:16) & Cernak (20:27) had the most ice time. Both +3. Cernak: 2 shots, 7 hits, 4 blocks.

Koekkoek (19:01) & Foote (18:36) pairing the with 3rd and 5th most ice time. Quality minutes for Foote, who also had team high 5 blocks, in back to back nights.

Dumont - 12/15 (80%) on faceoffs

Wow. Is there a possibility Cernak makes this team? (Maybe a KK trade, if necessary?) Every review of him over the summer has been glowing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Didn't watch the game in its entirity, but saw enough to get a feel for some of the young guys. Katchouk stood out for me as far as forwards. He struck me as a puckhound, like Gourde, and I liked what little I saw from him. Cirelli looked a little too amped up, and another year should serve him well. Beyond that, I actually thought Cirelli was Erne at first as they play a pretty similar game from the standpoint of physicality.

Sergachev is unquestionably talented, but he still has a bit of work to do. He struck me as a little lazy and/or indifferent defensively. Doubt Coop'll overlook that. I'd peg his ceiling directly to his work ethic. He'll be really good if he wants to be. It'll be interesting to see what happens because we could use him on the power play immediately. Didn't see anything extra from Peca or Conacher, and while I thought Koekoek looked a little better than he did last year, it's probably not enough to make a difference. Erne looked fine to me. There's literally no reason for him to be on the outside looking in if he's fighting anyone save Vlad or Point for a spot.

This has been said about him dating back to last year, lets hope we didn't walk from one guy with entitlement issues into another one. I hope he doesn't become one of those all tools no toolbox type of players that leave you wanting more, Hedman may have struggled putting it all together but there was never question about his effort/work ethic.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
[NHL2]c-52801903[/NHL2]
[NHL2]c-52801303[/NHL2]

This has been said about him dating back to last year, lets hope we didn't walk from one guy with entitlement issues into another one. I hope he doesn't become one of those all tools no toolbox type of players that leave you wanting more, Hedman may have struggled putting it all together but there was never question about his effort/work ethic.
I'm not really seeing that here with us. I feel like Sergachev's putting a lot of pressure on himself and if anything has been very self critical of his play. He wasn't happy with his performance in the camp scrimmage and from his post game comments, he was feeling really nervous and shaky.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...tning-audition-vs-carolina-hurricanes/2338210
"It's way different (from last year)," he said. "There, I played, like, 10 minutes and couldn't do anything. I'd have 5-on-5, 20-second shifts. Here, I had time to show what I can do and what I'm capable of doing."

(Sergachev played between 8:30 and 12 minutes in three of his four games with Montreal. He played 17:13 in the final one.)

Could this be a cause of it from his time in Montreal where they had him play afraid to make a mistake and sit?

Last edited:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The thought definitely crossed my mind. His goal was nice, but he also took the penalty that gave Carolina a nice chance at OT in the dying minutes. Didn't see the replay, so I don't want to pile it on, but the timing couldn't have been worse. It was a very Drouin-like outing. We'll see.

Fortunately for us, Sergachev will have the opportunity to watch Hedman do his thing on and off the ice. Apparently the Canada Cup in '87(?) was a turning point in Lemieux's career, as he got to witness first-hand all of the little things that Gretzky did to be the best.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I'm not really seeing that here with us.
I feel like Sergachev's putting a lot of pressure on himself and if anything has been very self critical of his play. He wasn't happy with his performance in the camp scrimmage and from his post game comments, he was feeling really nervous and shaky.

Could this be a cause of it from his time in Montreal where they had him play afraid to make a mistake and sit?

Wait and see what happens when he gets sent back down, didn't take it too well last time and it was draft year..

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Cernak was by far the best player at development camp. Glad to see he is continuing to impress.

After going to a few Brandon practices and Fan Fest, I think I have to agree with you. He looked like a pretty damn "complete" prospect, at least to me anyway.

I'm kinda surprised SY got him in the Bishop trade. Might turn out to be a really good deal in the long run. Almost makes up for giving Sustr another year; and unless a miracle happens... signing Girardi.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wow. Is there a possibility Cernak makes this team? (Maybe a KK trade, if necessary?) Every review of him over the summer has been glowing.

He could but it wouldn't make sense for him to be on the team this year. We already have 4 RD on one way deals so no need to bring him up yet. He could use a year in the A working on the offensive side of his game a bit. Next year Sustr is most likely gone and Girardi could be bought out or kept as a 7. We also need to see more of Dotchin, if he can't play like last year than Cernak could take his spot. But for this year there's just too many on the roster, even with a Koekkoek trade because Sergachev will be the beneficiary of that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The thought definitely crossed my mind. His goal was nice, but he also took the penalty that gave Carolina a nice chance at OT in the dying minutes. Didn't see the replay, so I don't want to pile it on, but the timing couldn't have been worse. It was a very Drouin-like outing. We'll see.

Fortunately for us, Sergachev will have the opportunity to watch Hedman do his thing on and off the ice. Apparently the Canada Cup in '87(?) was a turning point in Lemieux's career, as he got to witness first-hand all of the little things that Gretzky did to be the best.

I turned it off before the penalty, but at least for now I'm going to cut slack on penalty calls due to the changes in enforcement. I don't know if it was a discipline issue or just one of those "wait, they're calling *that* now?" moments.

His goal was... weird. That pass was not in his wheelhouse at all, and somehow it went in.

I generally liked what I saw though. I think he's not super used to playing the left side - I noticed he drifted a few times. Positionally he was *pretty* good, but not great (which is fine).

The one thing I noticed that I really liked though - he was playing a little mean sometimes. An extra shove behind the net, things like that. And that goal... he's got some good instincts. I don't know if he'll make the team, but he's got talent for days.

Also I love how Erne is playing right now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The Cernak hype train is chugging along!

Our defense is simply nasty moving forward. Hedman, Sergachev, Dotchin, Foote, Cernak, Masin, Spencer, Thomas, and Sosunov? Damn.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He could but it wouldn't make sense for him to be on the team this year. We already have 4 RD on one way deals so no need to bring him up yet. He could use a year in the A working on the offensive side of his game a bit. Next year Sustr is most likely gone and Girardi could be bought out or kept as a 7. We also need to see more of Dotchin, if he can't play like last year than Cernak could take his spot. But for this year there's just too many on the roster, even with a Koekkoek trade because Sergachev will be the beneficiary of that.

Yeah.

I expect KK to be moved tbh.

And I think Cernak could be an NHLer in 2018-19, and an effective one at that.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So did Serge look like a nhler ? will he make the club ? I also shot you a email dom

I'll check my email when I'm back at my computer this afternoon.

I wasn't able to watch the 2nd preseason game but Serg was a beast at fan fest and the highlight of his goal is awesome.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Nice to see Cernak getting some recognition. Thought he was easily better than Serge at prospects camp. Serg has more talent, but Cernak looked like a much more finished product. Big, strong, very good skater, good shot. Kid looked like a stud.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Nice to see Cernak getting some recognition. Thought he was easily better than Serge at prospects camp. Serg has more talent, but Cernak looked like a much more finished product. Big, strong, very good skater, good shot. Kid looked like a stud.
Yeah he seems like the kind of guy who will become a really underrated player
Can the Bolts get a 1st for KK?

A first for a 23-year-old defenseman who has 5 points in his NHL career?
I hope we can, but I'm doubting it. Probably more like a 2nd.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
how about we give the guy more than one pre-season game, before we trade him off and crown cernak king?

He was given his chances last year but he forced us to send him down by being so bad. If he doesn't improve from that this is his last season with us.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He was given his chances last year but he forced us to send him down by being so bad. If he doesn't improve from that this is his last season with us.

That's clear from the 1-year contract. I don't have much hope - I don't think he's really developed since his draft year. Yeah yeah, injuries and whatnot, but he hasn't shown anything yet (and last night wasn't exactly a showcase that he has made a jump).

I also think the expansion draft established his value (which is around a 4th). We're not getting a 2nd for a 23 year old Dman who has yet to stick in the NHL. 4th if we don't just expose him to waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad