PGT: 9/19 - Team Europe vs. Czech Republic - Team Europe 3 Czech Republic 2 F OT

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bad game for Kempny after a solid outing against Canada.

Frankly, the kid might be exhausted carrying this **** CZE defense this long, lol

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I have said something similiar in a other thread and I agree. We are pretty much in a rebuild stage right now, just like Finland (though Finns have better prospects).

Yep, I didn't get around to agreeing with you :)

Yeah, was thinking the same. Kempny, who did more bad than good the whole tournament, Hanzal who is slow and Michalek, who is even slower. Did Palat get some time in the OT? Some bad coaching here.

I don't think so. Perhaps shuffling the lines wasn't the best idea, but I suppose they had to try something.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Bad game for Kempny after a solid outing against Canada.

Frankly, the kid might be exhausted carrying this **** CZE defense this long, lol

I disagree. I think he just isn't good enough. But let's see, best of luck to him in Chicago.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I disagree. I think he just isn't good enough. But let's see, best of luck to him in Chicago.

Oh, I'm not worried about him in Chicago, he's going to be a 3rd pair guy not leading his team in ice time like he is for the CZE. Unless he earns his way up the lineup, which would be great but unnecessary.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
not if Europe takes Canada to OT, or USA takes Canada to OT and wins.

Still not relevant because then there would not be a 3 way tie. If Europe takes Can to OT then Europe gets 5 points and USA advances on h2h with Canada. If USA takes Canada to OT and wins then Canada advances on 5 points and Europe advances on h2h with USA

Because of this OT game the goal differential won't be a revelant tiebreaker in this group anymore. They only way a 3 way tie happens at 4 points each(or 3 way 3 point tie with CAN/CZE/USA which is still possible) you won't have the ROW and regulation wins the same.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Oh, I'm not worried about him in Chicago, he's going to be a 3rd pair guy not leading his team in ice time like he is for the CZE. Unless he earns his way up the lineup, which would be great but unnecessary.

He will be ok in NHL imo. He looked nervous entire game. Somebody should calm him down. Providing entire offence for czech team was maybe too much for him. On the other hand I would bench him against USA and try Kundratek, however this wouldnt help to his mood righ now...He would come devastated to the the camp...

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He will be ok in NHL imo. He looked nervous entire game. Somebody should calm him down. Providing entire offence for czech team was maybe too much for him. On the other hand I would bench him against USA and try Kundratek, however this wouldnt help to his mood righ now...He would come devastated to the the camp...

It would be kind of rash to drop your highest TOI Dman from the lineup over one bad game. They can move him down the lineup and skew his starts harder towards the offensive zone if they're worried.

kary

May 12, 2016
Oh come on ppl... Speculating about the weird circumstances USA, or even the galactic coincidence CZE, advances. Its not gonna happen. CAN and EUR will advance for sure, this group is decided.

Anyway, we deserved to lose since we only had like 1 decent period in both matches... and Kempný might think about trying out some other sport (perhaps dodgeball?)... I will chear for Europe now. It would be hilarious, but also legitimaly awesome, to see Europe vs NA final (well its my wet dream at least).

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
If fairness losing talent from what is now Slovakia is a big reason.

It's not the case.
Olympic Champions - 98, (3rd in 06)
World Champions - 96, 99, 00, 01, 05, 10
ended up in the semis in our only second World Cup participation in 04

Slovakia since split up :
World Champions - 02

Of course we could use players like Hossa, Gaborik or Tatar and I'm not saying we wouldn't be much stronger together again but it's not so major problem.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012

There's no reason to think he'll be ok for the NHL. He's not ready for the small rink and it can't be more obvious. I'm not worried about the Hawks, they're not risking anything... I'm worried about him ending up in Rockford. :laugh:

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
It's not the case.
Olympic Champions - 98, (3rd in 06)
World Champions - 96, 99, 00, 01, 05, 10
ended up in the semis in our only second World Cup participation in 04

Slovakia since split up :
World Champions - 02

Of course we could use players like Hossa, Gaborik or Tatar and I'm not saying we wouldn't be much stronger together again but it's not so major problem.

Slovakia had to play Worlds in C and B category with players like Stastny, Hossa, Gaborik, Bondra, Demitra, Chara and Palffy on their prime ... Also played semi-final and lost one-goal game against Canada in Vancouver.It's not Nagano but I'd say it was pretty good result and more recent.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Why on earth didn't Czechs pull out their goalie on overtime? It would have been 4 on 3 for 5 mins.

Did they really think that they could beat Team Europe in goal difference in case of draw, especially after 0-6 loss to Canada?

Or am I missing something here?

Just like in the NHL, you get a standings point for an OTL only if you don't allow an empty net goal. If you pull your goalie in OT and lose, you forfeit your OTL point. So losing this way CZE could finish at 3 points with Can and USA at 2. If every outcome goes their way.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/world-cup-hockey-need-know-tournament-rules/

"
Teams that pull their goaltender for an extra attacker during the overtime period (other than on a delayed penalty) will be subject to the potential forfeiture of their one point earned for the tie at the end of regulation in the event the opposing team scores into the empty net.
"

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Just like in the NHL, you get a standings point for an OTL only if you don't allow an empty net goal. If you pull your goalie in OT and lose, you forfeit your OTL point. So losing this way CZE could finish at 3 points with Can and USA at 2. If every outcome goes their way.

What?

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world-cup-of-hockey/world-cup-hockey-need-know-tournament-rules/

"
Teams that pull their goaltender for an extra attacker during the overtime period (other than on a delayed penalty) will be subject to the potential forfeiture of their one point earned for the tie at the end of regulation in the event the opposing team scores into the empty net.
"

Wow. I did not know that.

Penalizing a team for trying to win seems weird

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'd say that without that rule, pulling your goalie is almost always the correct course of action and that in itself is really stupid.

At least in cross conference games.

Here's the NHL rule text:

"
84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team.
"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad