Prospect Info: 8th IceHogs, Fuel, NCAA/Jr./Int'l Prospects thread - Offseason in Rockford

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Sikura - "next step is talking to Chicago to figure out what's best for me; staying or leaving. I have the opportunity to leave, it's just up to me to decide now. I'm gonna be figuring out if I'm physically ready to make the jump to the next level. Weigh the pros and cons and what kind of opportunity I'll get in Chicago"

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As for Sikura ...pros/cons for staying or leaving..

Leaving :

Pros: 1.Money now.
2.Burn a year bog ELC?
(not sure if he had to sign a
2 yr or 3yr deal)
3.Quicker pro experience at
Rockford ...helps adjust to
prep for shot with the Big
Club next season.
4. Quicker Hawks strength
coaches can bulk him up
with full summer time with
him.

5. No more school study!

6. Avoids potential of a
likely weaker Northeastern
team as Aston-Reese their
top gun was a Sr. and so
will not be there next
season..Aldo if flow Jr.
Nolan Stevens another of
their top scorer threats
departs for the pro ranks.
Nolan Stevens could stay
he is a Jr. ....but if he goes
that is the top 2 stars of the
team gone ..leaving Sikura
with more pressure to carry
a re-building more youthful
team ..not as enticing a
prospect to stay on.

Cons:
1. If leaves ...cannot get
his degree unless he
finishes it online while
playing or in summer off
time. .very difficult to
accomplish whike one is
playing pro or training in
summer in prep for next
Pro season.

Staying:

Pros: 1. Can graduate after next
school season.

2. Another year to.mature
and get stronger.

Cons
1. Still a poor student for
another year...more
Mac 'n Cheese.

2. More school "work".

3.Maybe less chance than
even this season to win.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
My own view is that Sikura is correct..not physically pro ready yet ..needs another year to bulk up.more.He look taller than when we drafted him.but as far as strength ,I do not think he is quite there yet to handle pros leaning on him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The regular season ended today in the Liiga in Finland
.Joni Tuulola finished with 2g 6 a and +17 for the regular season. ..He played in 54 of the 60 game season for his team ....now for playoffs.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Has anyone seen Mike Vechionne (Union) play? He seems like he could be a perfect college FA signing for us. 2nd in NCAA in points and goals, 4th in face-off % (61%), and has developed a good reputation for being a solid 2 way player. For a team that has a hole at 3c, seems like he could fit?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Pittsburgh lands Zach Aston-Reese ...big goal scorer..he and Vecchione were the 2 top college free agents ...Yes we should go after Vecchione but a lot of teams want him and maybe he gets a top six shot as 2C with some bother teams. ..Probably does not want a 3C or 4C role with us.And we are not going to use him now only an ELC starting next season...other teams can burn a year now.

SO I doubt Stan gets him..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Things that make one go hmmmn...IF we had not gone "all" with Ladd last season at the TDL ...Maybe we might have drafted Sam Steel ahead of ANH who stole him at #30 ..Imagine if we had BOOTH Steel and DeBrincat !!!

Of course neither would play top six under Q and the crowd up front already here.Nope gotta turn them into 3rd liners.

But maybe Steel gets his 2C chance in ANH ...until Getzlaf is gone or goes down line as he ages.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Pittsburgh lands Zach Aston-Reese ...big goal scorer..he and Vecchione were the 2 top college free agents ...Yes we should go after Vecchione but a lot of teams want him and maybe he gets a top six shot as 2C with some bother teams. ..Probably does not want a 3C or 4C role with us.And we are not going to use him now only an ELC starting next season...other teams can burn a year now.

SO I doubt Stan gets him..

Any team that's plugging in a UDFA rookie as 2c, isn't gonna be a very strong team. He could do a lot worse than getting plugged into a sheltered role with Hartman on one side and a future hall of famer on the other side.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if Q ever wants to call it quits and retire to his wine collection..or if Stan has had enough of our mediocre pp and pk andvtelksvQ to fire his buddies running the specialty teams ...well in eorherbofvthese scenarios McD should try hiring Saint John Sea Dogs head coach Danny Flynn..because he has his team playing hockey the right way and just dominating ..yes they are deep and talented and veteran ..alk that ..but it is a thing of sheer beauty watching them move that puck aroubdnlikevthe globetrotters and so highly proficient on both special teams. ... Tonoght they scored 2 short-handed goals in a 5-0 win over Moncton.They also scored on a pp (Highmore scored that one) ..They have 20 shorties on the season and 3 players have 5 each (including H8ghmore ₩ .
THEY display great team chemistry and play for each other ..every line and d-pair play the same way .To me it is a perfect team..and beautiful to watch..The score coukd have been more like 16-0 if not for the heroics of the Moncton goalie who was under seize call night but he made many highway robbery point blank saves..

ANYWAY I wish Q could get that kind of play from our guys..all buying in ..no shifts off ..playing the same hard way whether 5x5 ..or short'-handed orvattackingno the pp without wasted seconds off the relentless assault on the net..justva pmeasurevtobwatch a team in such unified purpose and playing so hard for each other.Tonifht's victory secured them a first place finish in the QMJHL regular season.

Yes it bis great to have talent and depth but to get all that working in the same game shift after shift ..man up or man down..that is a real coaching genius .We should be looking at hiring Danny Flynn at some point.I KNOW..it is different with mult-millionaire pros ..who just fat-catvitvwhebevervthe just fo not feel like showing up for a shift..a period..a whole game. BUT when a coach CAN get team misdson and team co-hesion ..and the work it requires to be all in the mix ..playing the right way in all situations for an entire game..well that is coaching to perfection.So keep an eye on Flynn.for any future opening here ..perhaps when Stan gets fed up with what should be a more beautiful thing ..but too often provides too many flawed segments in games ..

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
Well if Q ever wants to call it quits and retire to his wine collection..or if Stan has had enough of our mediocre pp and pk andvtelksvQ to fire his buddies running the specialty teams ...well in eorherbofvthese scenarios McD should try hiring Saint John Sea Dogs head coach Danny Flynn..because he has his team playing hockey the right way and just dominating ..yes they are deep and talented and veteran ..alk that ..but it is a thing of sheer beauty watching them move that puck aroubdnlikevthe globetrotters and so highly proficient on both special teams. ... Tonoght they scored 2 short-handed goals in a 5-0 win over Moncton.They also scored on a pp (Highmore scored that one) ..They have 20 shorties on the season and 3 players have 5 each (including H8ghmore ₩ .
THEY display great team chemistry and play for each other ..every line and d-pair play the same way .To me it is a perfect team..and beautiful to watch..The score coukd have been more like 16-0 if not for the heroics of the Moncton goalie who was under seize call night but he made many highway robbery point blank saves..

ANYWAY I wish Q could get that kind of play from our guys..all buying in ..no shifts off ..playing the same hard way whether 5x5 ..or short'-handed orvattackingno the pp without wasted seconds off the relentless assault on the net..justva pmeasurevtobwatch a team in such unified purpose and playing so hard for each other.Tonifht's victory secured them a first place finish in the QMJHL regular season.

Yes it bis great to have talent and depth but to get all that working in the same game shift after shift ..man up or man down..that is a real coaching genius .We should be looking at hiring Danny Flynn at some point.I KNOW..it is different with mult-millionaire pros ..who just fat-catvitvwhebevervthe just fo not feel like showing up for a shift..a period..a whole game. BUT when a coach CAN get team misdson and team co-hesion ..and the work it requires to be all in the mix ..playing the right way in all situations for an entire game..well that is coaching to perfection.So keep an eye on Flynn.for any future opening here ..perhaps when Stan gets fed up with what should be a more beautiful thing ..but too often provides too many flawed segments in games ..

<sigh> yet another post to pin and save for when Q and 19 are gone and we actually have things to complain about... </sigh>

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Young blood influx coming to the Hogs (save for Hayden, not complaining, FWIW). Will be very interesting to see how our new signees fare. Fortin and DCat next?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Notre Dame defenseman Dennis Gilbert selected as Best Defensive Defenseman in Hockey East by the league's head coaches.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Notre Dame defenseman Dennis Gilbert selected as Best Defensive Defenseman in Hockey East by the league's head coaches.

I was listening to NHL Network on Sirius a couple Saturdays ago and they had one of our scouts on. He was gushing over Gilbert.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hasn't shown that much offensive upside in the games I've watched in NBCSN of notre dame but is stout defensively and can hammer people. Really clears the front of the net. Gets out of position to make big hits and can be slow on pivots things I've noticed.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002

He is actually very very Competent and can rub guys off pucks..Unlike anyone we currently have on defense. ALSO does not lose his stick as our Hawks d-men consistently do ...nor break his stick on stick-checks like sp many of our d-men do..In other words Competent in defending
..such that when he is on the goalie on for his team is not going to see many shots fired at him nor have to stop way to many grade A scoring chances...in other words..Q will not like him..too Competent in defending .Not soft for Q....Uses body not "quick stick"...stick does not get dropped out of the blue or break on a check (when you rub guys out with the body and holdup you do not have to worry about lost or broken sticks and essentially being out -manned which is the opposite of competence.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I do not honk Matt Highmore will play in Rockford next season..I predict he makes the Hawks right out of the gate..He is too good can overall hockey player ...can play any role on any line from top line to 4th..Cam play either Wing or Center and excel .Terrific on faceoffs..Kills penalties and dagerous (has 5 shorty goals this season) ..fast and agile..goes to net..tracks pucks and gets take-aways. .great passer ..200 foot player ..does not get lazy ..You want to give hom A +marks for almost every aspect of the game exceot maybe his shot which is perhaps only a B * ...but honestly I cannot see how he cannot help the Hawks ...as ready a player as I have seen .It is hard to find flaws in his game .It Kruger gone(which ought to be the case ) I expect Highmore to be our 3C or 4C amd tale a lot of faceoffs and pk work at least ..but he also is pretty good on the pp (but with alk the current guys we have featured on the pp (good or bad as it is depending on your viewpoint),he will not be used there ..Still given he can generate offense from defense and transition unlike Kruger who has zero offensive ability ,Highmore in my opinion is going to be a very good addition to the show squad next season. A brilliant signing by Stan,because Highmore checks so many boxes ..
I am not saying his shot is poor ...but do not expect Panarin-like one timers...or Kane accuracy through tiny holes the goalie leaves. .Rather he will score because he gets to tge correct open spots ..in the best scoring areas..he will get wrap around and taping at the crease.he will beat goalies by getting clear bid checks for open clear shots ..but compared to the rest of his game...hockey sense..skating ..passing ..puck pursuit, checking ,work ethic,vision,face-offs ,and pk abd pp effectiveness,you have to say his shot d is not his best quality..all those other things gs are his best qualities.

Shot B..Sitck'handling B or B+..of course at 5'11 he is not going to be a physical/strength guy
.but he is not a perimeter softy
.he goes to the net and plays at the crease in traffic ..So overall a Very very good hockey player in my eyes (I have seen him I think 5 or 6 times so far this season so far ..so I think I have a pretty good read on his game).Admittedkybpkaysvon a stacked team..but he bus a key cog for them and their leading points guy.A prayer answered for an excellent faceoff guy who can do so many aspects of the game well.He will help us ...a lot.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He is actually very very Competent and can rub guys off pucks..Unlike anyone we currently have on defense. ALSO does not lose his stick as our Hawks d-men consistently do ...nor break his stick on stick-checks like sp many of our d-men do..In other words Competent in defending
..such that when he is on the goalie on for his team is not going to see many shots fired at him nor have to stop way to many grade A scoring chances...in other words..Q will not like him..too Competent in defending .Not soft for Q....Uses body not "quick stick"...stick does not get dropped out of the blue or break on a check (when you rub guys out with the body and holdup you do not have to worry about lost or broken sticks and essentially being out -manned which is the opposite of competence.

Yeah, our Dmen are so terrible.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Fortin

As some of you may know, Scott Powers has been in Quebec this month and one of his missions was to scout Alexandre Fortin. I exchanged tweets with Scott who said that Fortin has improved and shows good potential, but is still not NHL ready. He did say that he will soon write an article on that subject. He mentioned as well that his junior season may not end in time for Fortin to join the 'Black Aces".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad