Post-Game Talk: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
One point that I can't get away from: is the puck glued to Gudas' stick when he's in our zone? He seems to hold on for so long which leads to a lot of potential picks.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
We're a decent number of games in on Mrazek now. Two part question:

For one year, would you rather have Neuvirth at 2.5 or Mrazek at 1.75? Assume either goes in a tandem with Elliott. If you prefer Mrazek in that hypothetical, does the extra draft pick compensation you would owe to Detroit change your mind?

Can we pick stolie hopefully he is healthy? :(

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
  • A coaching change that's not a retread
  • Filppula and Oduya walk
  • Simmonds trade
  • One of Weise/Lehtera gone with the other in the press box
  • A maximum of one of Hagg/MacDonald/Manning on the roster preferably as the clear 7th D but absolutely nowhere near the top 4.

The middle three are most obvious and easiest. The Simmonds one has the greatest stakes of the three. That must happen. For the last point, Manning is gone soon, along with MacDonald. It just has to happen organically, but they will go, perhaps this year and two years respectively. Hagg will be an encumbrance not soon parted with. Our only hope is he gets more marginalized into a 15 minute d-man. And by "hope" I mean a come to Jesus talent evaluating. Because that's at the top too, beyond the coach.

Last point, since it's germane to basically every thread of this board, I'll address individually. I won't panic if Hakstol is here next year. I think he will be, so that's part of why I'm bracing myself. He was brought in more as a partner for Hextall than a coach, and they are very close. If and when he does get replaced, I have a strong hunch that it's a trip to Retread City for us. He took his outside the box, first time NHL coach chance. If he fires him, it's admitting that he erred. The team will also be competitive, so it could double Hextall's nervousness in a bold, riskier hire that could be wasting time. If he doesn't panic on that front, good on him. If he does hopefully it's a good retread (from Lavi to Q to even Sullivan technically, a retread does not void being a good, winning-caliber coach) and not another defense-first, bland systems coach. I'd settle for that. But with how this team evaluates coaches, I'm not sure it won't be. In which case, yes, it's a management hang-up.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The middle three are most obvious and easiest. The Simmonds one has the greatest stakes of the three. That must happen. For the last point, Manning is gone soon, along with MacDonald. It just has to happen organically, but they will go, perhaps this year and two years respectively. Hagg will be an encumbrance not soon parted with. Our only hope is he gets more marginalized into a 15 minute d-man. And by "hope" I mean come to Jesus talent evaluating. Because that's at the top too, beyond coach.

Last point, since it's germane to basically every thread of this board, I'll address individually. I won't panic if Hakstol is here next year. I think he will be, so that's part of why I'm bracing myself. He was brought in more as a partner for Hextall than a coach, and they are very close. If and when he does get replaced, I have a strong hunch that it's a trip to Retread City for us. He took his outside the box, first time NHL coach chance. If he fires him, it's admitting that he erred. The team will also be competitive, so it could double Hextall's nervousness in a bold, riskier hire that could be wasting time. Hopefully it's a good retread and not another defense-first, bland systems coach. I'd settle for that. But with how this team evaluates coaches, I'm not sure it won't be.

So that means no playoff series wins after 5 seasons of Hextall.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Manning Gudas May have taken the torch as the absolute worst possible pairing. In the Def zone they are lost and find themselves both chasing the puck and leaving players WIDE open
manning just follows gudas wherever he goes like a puppy and chases the puck like he is playing fetch not covering his side or his man alot on this team play like they don't trust who they are playing with

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
THOSE are the two you start with?

Lindblom needs to score, but he's been more snakebitten than not effective. No one could disagree with that. And he's only been up a few weeks. And Patrick has not been the 2C most of the season. Since has has been he's been essential, especially of late.

If I could pick issues all season and right now, those are lightyears away from what would pop into my brain. The Patrick thing isn't a reason at all. He's a reason we're even doing as well as we are of late.

Who cares what order I listed them in?
Yeesh, everyone’s defensive about the rookies.
Btw, I’m very high on both Patrick & Lindblom.
My point, though, is that this team has had garbage 2nd line production. And that’s a big problem that gets glossed over, & it’s not the coach’s fault.
Look at all the other playoff teams / bubble teams in the East.
Is there a team that has worse 2nd line production?
I mean, you’ve got Wash with Backstrom & Kutznetsov; Pit with Crosby & Malkin; Bos with Bergeron & Krejci; hell, Florida has Barkov & Trocheck, etc.
2nd line production has been a huge hole for the Flyers that gets glossed over.

Reactions: hrocks66

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
We're a decent number of games in on Mrazek now. Two part question:

For one year, would you rather have Neuvirth at 2.5 or Mrazek at 1.75? Assume either goes in a tandem with Elliott. If you prefer Mrazek in that hypothetical, does the extra draft pick compensation you would owe to Detroit change your mind?
You have to remember though; the only reason Mrazek let in any of those goals tonight is because the percentage of people in the arena who have a family member that drives a Mazda was well over 60%. That number needs to come down if we’re going to expect him to have a fair shake.

Reactions: Amorgus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Who cares what order I listed them in?
Yeesh, everyone’s defensive about the rookies.
Btw, I’m very high on both Patrick & Lindblom.
My point, though, is that this team has had garbage 2nd line production. And that’s a big problem that gets glossed over, & it’s not the coach’s fault.
Look at all the other playoff teams / bubble teams in the East.
Is there a team that has worse 2nd line production?
I mean, you’ve got Wash with Backstrom & Kutznetsov; Pit with Crosby & Malkin; Bos with Bergeron & Krejci; hell, Florida has Barkov & Trocheck, etc.
2nd line production has been a huge hole for the Flyers that gets glossed over.

Youre comparing a second line with two rookies on it to literally some of the best players in the NHL.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I disagree about Hex and Hak. First and foremost this is a business, and a business is about making money. And in any business model you have and in particular, a business which has such a public face as a NHL team, and you do not do your job that "exceeds expectations " as my job is or Hak's as HC, you are gone or relegated to the backwaters where even the frogs don't croak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad