Post-Game Talk: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I didn't see it until after I wrote it.

Good on you for picking a side.

As much as I raise eyebrows at roster choices, certain coaches make perplexing ones but still make it work. Hakstol isn't necessarily a terrible coach because he writes a weird lineup on the white board, he sucks because he has no idea how to allocate minutes, work matchups, or take advantage of situations.

He made one meaningful adjustment in the 3rd: Laughton and Filpulla swapped lines in the last 10 minutes. But c'mon, down a goal in the 3rd you'll still see the Penguins feed out Malkin/Crosby/Kessel. Oskar didn't have it tonight, why didn't we see Jake/Claude/Wayne ever? Why not try something?

Reactions: Frickley and Tripod

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Let's Make A Deal! Says Monty Hall. "Behind one of these 3 doors is a fabulous trip to the Stanley Cup Finals!" " YES YES that's what I Want!".........OKAY OKAY I I I choose number 2! Are you sure.....you go crazy ..ah..ah..no..no..yes yes yes. Monty opens number 3 ANd it a picture of a glazed eyed picture of Hakstol! Everyone is excited your family in the audience is smiling and clapping. Monty exclaims Are you sure? You are nervous and jerky, perspiration is running down your face. Everyone is yelling and screaming....ah ah I change my mind I want door number 1!!!! Monty opens door number 1 and it's a picture of a frowning Giroux as the Flyers again miss the playoffs....sadness. Monty then opens door number 2 with the beautiful blonde babe pointing to the happy team heading to the SCFs.......sigh

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We're a decent number of games in on Mrazek now. Two part question:

For one year, would you rather have Neuvirth at 2.5 or Mrazek at 1.75? Assume either goes in a tandem with Elliott. If you prefer Mrazek in that hypothetical, does the extra draft pick compensation you would owe to Detroit change your mind?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
As much as I raise eyebrows at roster choices, certain coaches make perplexing ones but still make it work. Hakstol isn't necessarily a terrible coach because he writes a weird lineup on the white board, he sucks because he has no idea how to allocate minutes, work matchups, or take advantage of situations.

He made one meaningful adjustment in the 3rd: Laughton and Filpulla swapped lines in the last 10 minutes. But c'mon, down a goal in the 3rd you'll still see the Penguins feed out Malkin/Crosby/Kessel. Oskar didn't have it tonight, why didn't we see Jake/Claude/Wayne ever? Why not try something?

Probably because Wayne is atrocious.

Burying Simmonds is one of the few things he's done that has made sense

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
This team should have been one to two years away from contending, but our coach refuses to play better younger players and ride talentless career 3rd and 4th liners, and career #6 Dmen. Now this "coach" had set us back a year or two in the retool. I want him gone so bad as soon as possible.

I really wish Stolie didn't get hurt because I think he is a legitimate NHL goaltender and would have stabilized the position till Elliot got back. Maybe stole the starting spot, and even could have made a run in the play-offs.

I do think if we cut more dead weight and get the right coach and finally start trusting our young guys. I will get to see Giroux raise a cup in Philly.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

For one year, would you rather have Neuvirth at 2.5 or Mrazek at 1.75? Assume either goes in a tandem with Elliott. If you prefer Mrazek in that hypothetical, does the extra draft pick compensation you would owe to Detroit change your mind?

Mrazek without the pick. Pick makes it harder.

I'm done with neuvy and his injuries though

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Probably because Wayne is atrocious.

Burying Simmonds is one of the few things he's done that has made sense

Yeah he's been dead since he's been back. But playing with Raffl and Laughton/Filpulla certainly isn't going to help. Wayne's never been a creator, just a brilliant opportunist. When his setup guys are corpses, it's not like he's just gonna start pumping in goals. You gotta try something.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

At this point, I have no idea. The thing about Neuvy is that we are always ever a heartbeat away from another concussion-related groin injury, so what happens if we find ourselves in a spot again where he implodes, Haksaw hacksaws Elliot into the ground, and Stolie falls apart again - do we have to make another trade and surrender another draft pick because we can't count on Neuvy to even remain standing? It's a legitimately tough question, but I can't stand it when you have guys that you can't count on, so I guess I would probably lean toward the disMrazster.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I would move on from both of them. You can’t trust Neuvy to stay healthy enough & I’m not giving up an extra pick for Mrazek at this point.

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley

Neither let Stolie get a shot as backup

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Best case scenario for this team is to get rid of the HACK at head coach, get rid of laperriere, get two top 15 picks, get a real head coach and have hextall be more courageous with his prospects. These things will happen only if they miss the playoffs.

Sanheim is playing well since the recall, but he is playing scared and it’s neutering his game. Look at how boston rebounded so Quickly to become a top east team this year with a great combo of their veterans AND their young players ( mcavoy, heinen, debrusk). Not too long ago most posters here were ridiculing sweeney after the 15 draft.

This should send a message to Hextall. The biggest risk you take is not taking a risk at all. This philosophy needs to be stamped on his forehead....by chris effin chelios if need be.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He seems a lot like Lavi from what I remember from watching last year.

Scott Gordon cannot coach an NHL team in the Xs and Os. He isn't even so good in the AHL there. They play pond hockey; it's a bit structureless and talent based. That level it works. But he's not an NHL coach. I don't think Hextall views him as one anyway. He's a retread, but more in the flameout end of the spectrum. Lavi is an NHL coach -- one of the best -- who plays an aggressive, attacking system. Gordon just kind of manages his AHL talent and prospects into some free-formed, loose thingamajig. It's entertaining.......but no lol.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
The goalie situation is such a frustrating mess, I still really hope for Mrazek to make the decision.

I don't have any hope for Neuvy to reliably do anything and I just don't know about Elliot as a starter of more than 45 games.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Probably Neuvirth with the expectation that Lyon or Stolarz are the real backups since Neuvy will be hurt again.

Also depends on how Stolie looks come July 1, i suppose.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Scott Gordon cannot coach an NHL team in the Xs and Os. He isn't even so good in the AHL there. They play pond hockey; it's a bit structureless and talent based. That level it works. But he's not an NHL coach. I don't think Hextall views him as one anyway. He's a retread, but more in the flameout end of the spectrum. Lavi is an NHL coach -- one of the best -- who plays an aggressive, attacking system. Gordon just kind of manages his AHL talent and prospects into some free-formed, loose thingamajig. It's entertaining.......but no lol.

Too bad then.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I didn’t get to see the game but what part of today’s game was Hagg’s fault? ;)

No but seriously seems like from what I am reading:

1) Mrazek sucked again
2) Lyon did a solid job (and maybe deserves a start?)
3) Hak still wants the Flip line to be the shutdown line but it still gets torn apart.
4) Lindblom might be the first player to play 1000 games and never get a point.
5) Manning-Gudas was a trainwreck (again)

Sound about right? Miss anything?

Reactions: macleish1974

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad