Post-Game Talk: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I dont even want it for me as a fan.

I want it for Giroux.

This is where I’m at. I personally don’t care if I watch this team flop around in the playoffs. I can watch Frost and his team, prospects, Sixers, Phillies starting. I don’t need it and am pretty ambivalent as a whole win or lose. But damn if I want it to serve as validation for our top guys having career years. Especially Giroux and Couturier could get trophy noms if they make the playoffs. And you know how much it means for them to see their efforts rewarded. It would be crushing for them to miss. I don’t want that. I don’t think much changes with a miss anyway.

And if we can get Oskar and Sanheim (well, maybe not him lol) and Teek and Provorov and Patrick playing sizable playoff roles, that’s not half bad either. Just for 4-5 games worth of yucks!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I get some people need to defend the coach, but why Hakstol? The guy is a *****. He chooses to play boring, conservative hockey. He chooses to overplay the Filppulas, the MacDonalds,the Haggs, and the Mannings. At least the people that defended Doug Pederson last year defended a coach that was ultra aggressive and took chances.

I don't get that either, at all. This is the only guy in the entire world who would see Brandon Manning as some kind of security blanket. Not only is he the worst security blanket in the world, he's the worst blanket full stop since the US Cavalry dropped off those smallpox blankets with the Cherokee tribe*

* I know it was the Mandan tribe, but "Cherokee" sounds better to me, and I'm not going to dumb down my shtick for some bonehead mass audience.

giphy.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Same nonsense I read every game.

Top players got all the minutes, and face it, Manning was better than Sanheim, both made a bad mistake that lead to a goal, but Manning at least generated some offense. Ghost showed why he can't play in front of the net on the Atkinson goal and Gudas blew a line change.

Anyone notice that whoever you put with Laughton, it looks the same, lots of O-zone time but never a good scoring chance.
This should lay to rest the idea that replacing Filppula with Laughton would make a difference.

Patrick and Lindblom are still learning, but boy are they going to be good.

The real problem, as it's been most of the year, is goalie play.
Fleury outplayed Mrazek the other night, Bob out played him tonight.
Starting to think they should just start Lyon and limit the damage to a 4th rd pick (since Mrazek only has 4 wins).

Imagine if Hextall could only find a young goalie who had upside!

Would you agree that making the team worse is bad coaching?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Hasn't been for awhile now imo, but he is a god among men in some posters eyes.
The levels of blame are minuscule, with the entire picture in play.

The farm was a shambles. The NHL roster had some bad contracts. In that time, hes cleared MOST of the bad deals and rebuilt the farm quite well. This was NEVER a realistic year to be competitive, as the roster has talent too young, and others just along for the ride. I fail to see how anyone could have done better.

Realistically, other than just complaining about it, what could Hextall have done to fix the roster in the present day?

I'll give you Hak needs to be moved on from, but Hex is just not going to do that in the middle of the year.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
Is Stolarz really an option for next year? Hasn't exactly been good in his AHL career so far

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Anyone notice that whoever you put with Laughton, it looks the same, lots of O-zone time but never a good scoring chance.
This should lay to rest the idea that replacing Filppula with Laughton would make a difference.
Where does the Filppula line spend most of its time? "Lots of O-Zone time" wouldn't be progress from that? You just negated your own argument before you made it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The funny thing is Hakstol did everything everyone asked this game, and it made no difference, played Sanheim, reduced Filppula's minutes, put Laughton with the 3rd line wingers, etc.

And that's because the talent simply isn't there, and the goalies are bad.
Look at Darling and Ward drag down Carolina, look at Mrazek kill our playoff chances.

Laughton, Filppula, Read, Lehtera (Weise, Leier), MacDonald, Gudas, Manning.
Raffl and Simmonds would be fine if they were paired with real centers. They're just not good enough to carry dreck.
And even then, if we just had an average goalie, we'd be a 95+ point team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The funny thing is Hakstol did everything everyone asked this game, and it made no difference, played Sanheim, reduced Filppula's minutes, put Laughton with the 3rd line wingers, etc.

And that's because the talent simply isn't there, and the goalies are bad.
Look at Darling and Ward drag down Carolina, look at Mrazek kill our playoff chances.

Laughton, Filppula, Read, Lehtera (Weise, Leier), MacDonald, Gudas, Manning.
Raffl and Simmonds would be fine if they were paired with real centers. They're just not good enough to carry dreck.
And even then, if we just had an average goalie, we'd be a 95+ point team.

He was giving Flip multiple of Laughton's shifts. Flip should be playing 7 minutes or less at this point. He's still overplayed. Getting PK time is a farce.

The coaching staff is still making the roster worse by maximizing the play of some terrible players in terrible matchups, when better alternatives exist. Do you consider that to be good coaching?

Oh, and dismissing everything by going "Welp they lost anyway because the goalie sucked!" is unimpressive.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I said it last year. They needed to clean house. Maybe this complete collapse out of the playoffs ( and it sure as hell is trending that way) will make it happen. Maybe Chuck survives since he just got here but heads will roll if the Flyers miss the playoffs.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't understand this comment. What do you mean by "not mad" - are you saying it's possible to not be angry about something? This does not compute with me. In fact, it makes me angry just thinking about it. However, I am glad you didn't jump off the mezzanine.

They just lost. Luckily Hak didn’t do anything over the top dumb late in the game as he has the previous two or the jump would have been considered.

They just went out with a whimper which pissed me off but for the most part you just have to laugh at some of this shit. If you don’t it’ll kill you.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No, no, no. There are two appropriate frog analogies in our present situation. The first is that this is what Filppula, Lehtera, Hagg, Manning and MacDonald look like in practice:

giphy.gif

And this is how they look during a game:

giphy.gif

The second analogy is the frog put in water that is raised in temperature 1 degree at a time, and finds out way too late that it is being boiled alive.

Okay, three frog analogies.

Bern (I'm not going to call you Jeff, or Geoff, too many bad associations at the moment), you know what's interesting is that we have all these fables that are applicable. "The Scorpion and the Frog" for Jeff, or rather Dan, or rather what'shisface, "The Boy Who Cried Woof" for Meatpig. Really interesting learning material for our younger members, like Striiker, who is conspicuously absent and may be celebrating his 13th birthday at this very moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad