7 Members of the Core

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We just need to keep stockpiling our depth charts until the best rise to the top of the depth charts and those are the guys you keep around long term and the rest leave when we cant afford to keep them around any-more and then we bring in the new young blood.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think there's clearly three pieces that are the most important:

- # 1 C
- # 1 D
- # 1 G

After you have that foundation, add good depth at every position and you are set.

Agreed

The core positions and players are KEY to sustained success, the depth and surrounding players thereafter are interchangeable as long as they fill the needs and roles on a team.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I think there's clearly three pieces that are the most important:

- # 1 C
- # 1 D
- # 1 G

After you have that foundation, add good depth at every position and you are set.

Think I agree with this the most. After the #1C, #1D and the #1G, there are numerous ways to fill out your team depending on your teams style.

I still believe Rielly could be our #1 D in the near future. Could see him being our puck mover and shutdown defender, playing in all situations.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
If a skater is 2nd and 3rd in TOI/GP on 3 cup winning teams, I think it is safe that what ever that guy is doing it is important enough to consider him a core player.

And we speak of having a concept of having 7 core players to be able to win the cup, the topic of this thread. Now, you will not have a team with 7 players on Kopitars level so then you have to broaden the meaning of what a core player is. We are not talking about franchise level talent here.

I wouldnt broaden the meaning to include the types of good-but-not-great type of players that basically every team has. I would just reduce the number from 7 to 3-4.

If Hjalmerrson counts as a core player on a cup winner then I think it's fair to say we already have several players of that calibre in Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, even Phaneuf and Kadri.

I don't think that's a very useful way to use the term "core".

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If a skater is 2nd and 3rd in TOI/GP on 3 cup winning teams, I think it is safe that what ever that guy is doing it is important enough to consider him a core player.

And we speak of having a concept of having 7 core players to be able to win the cup, the topic of this thread. Now, you will not have a team with 7 players on Kopitars level so then you have to broaden the meaning of what a core player is. We are not talking about franchise level talent here.
and that concept is in question.

You want to expand the definition of core. I don't and that's my point.

I have no issues calling Hjarlmsson one of the best 7 Hawks because he was. I have an issue with calling him a core player for the reasons I note. 7 is too wide a definition in the Hawks case. If you swap him out for a good #3, the Hawks still compete.

McGuire has noted this model isn't really fixed either btw and he usually includes Kane instead of a #2c for the Hawks.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
PF=Power forward
SN=Sniper
OC=Offensive C
DC=Defensive C
2WC=2 Way C
(E)=Elite

PF EOC ESN
SN E2WC PF
PF 2WC SN
SN DC PF

Every line needs someone who can snipe a goal. The lower lines would have some younger players who can move up.

Defence

EOD PMD
D PMD
PMD D

You need a playmaker pretty much all the time. You also need a sound D as well. All D need Speed now. OD is an offensive D or #1

Goalies always have to be top notch. Top 10 easy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So what does everyone think of Reimer being our top 10 goalie?

Reimer is a UFA at seasons end and might not even last the trade deadline this season if a team is looking for Goaltending depth heading into the playoffs for insurance.

Reims might not be a Leaf for much longer so that prevents him from being considered a core piece unless the Leafs suddenly lock him up long-term and make him their #1 starter.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I wouldnt broaden the meaning to include the types of good-but-not-great type of players that basically every team has. I would just reduce the number from 7 to 3-4.

If Hjalmerrson counts as a core player on a cup winner then I think it's fair to say we already have several players of that calibre in Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, even Phaneuf and Kadri.

I don't think that's a very useful way to use the term "core".

and that concept is in question.

You want to expand the definition of core. I don't and that's my point.

I have no issues calling Hjarlmsson one of the best 7 Hawks because he was. I have an issue with calling him a core player for the reasons I note. 7 is too wide a definition in the Hawks case. If you swap him out for a good #3, the Hawks still compete.

Maguire has noted this model isn't really fixed either btw and he usually includes Kane instead of a #2c for the Hawks.

Would you consider some one like Adam Foote a core player on the cup winning Colorado teams? And if so, then why not Hjalmarsson?

Edit: And Hjalmarsson leads the team in those fancy QoC stats and similar.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So lets agree, there is a top end core, and a secondary core on contenders:

Top End Core: Nylander, Marner, Rielly, etc.
Chicago: Toews, Kane, Keith, etc.

Secondary Core: Kadri, Kapanen, Dermott, Nielsen, etc.
Chicago: Sharp, Hossa, Seabrook, Hjalmrsson, etc.

Now its about developing them into the best NHLers.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just dumb it down.

You need great goaltending, 3 really good D, a couple really good Cs and a Sniper. Good work ethic and role players come to play but most importantly all these things need to come together as a team. Awareness is usually a sign that players know their teammates.

You know a team is good when everyone knows where everyone is or in the case of elites, where they will be. So in a sense what you want is a better response time compared to the opposition. If your team is 1/8th of a second quicker thinking all the time you have a great possession team granted they have good execution (passing etc)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
7 I would agree I would say they have at least 5 though (With the final one being core as of late.)

- Toews
- Kane
- Keith
- Hossa
- Crawford

HM: Seabrook

If your get 7 goals in 23 playoff games (including OT GWG) on your way to a Stanley Cup that is a pretty good hourable mention for a player considered a shutdown defense first dman.

That Keith -- Seabrook top pairing is part of the backbone of the Hawks success.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Would you consider some one like Adam Foote a core player on the cup winning Colorado teams? And if so, then why not Hjalmarsson?

Edit: And Hjalmarsson leads the team in those fancy QoC stats and similar.
Foote is a little tougher, it was a different game and teams were desperate for guys like him. Big, bruising, physical defensemen.

I think for the time he was a better player than Hjarlmsson and I'm still not sure I'd commit to Foote being a core player. The Avs went out and had to improve upon him to compete, which is why they brought in Bourque and Blake.

He's more in the grey area than Hjarmlsson though for me.

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
No team has won a cup in recent memory without at least two of these three; an elite center, and elite Dman and/or an elite goalie.

If you don't have two of the three, chances are, you didn't win the cup lol.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
So I was listening to TSN 1050 earlier this week and Pierre Mcguire was talking about the 7-player core you need in order to be a true contender. The make up of this core was:

- elite goaltender
- shutdown defence man
- puck moving defence man
- defensive center
- #1 centerman
- #2 centerman
- power forward

Which of the current leaf players and prospects do you think can fit into this 7-player core? Keep in mind all these players have to be top players in these positions.

I could start with:

Goalie: No one. Maybe Sparks/Bibeau. Too early to tell.
Shutdown Defensemen: No one.
Puck Moving Defence man: Rielly.
Defensive Center: Gauthier
#1 Center: Nylander
#2 Center: Kadri
Powerforward: JVR.

you don't need an elite goal tender. you need a goalie with a great abilities who has a hot streak. look at chicago.

1 center-nylander
2 center-marner
3 defensive centre-gauthier
4 power forward-jvr /*laine
5 puck moving d-rielly
6 shut down defense none/chychrun. long shot, dermott/valiev/nielson

according to that, we are a goalie and shutdown defenseman away.

our veterans that i'd say we keep are winnik and komorov

our support is timashov, kapanen, johnson, brown, leivo

with possibly bracco, dzierkals, engvall, camenasari, loov, percy, nielson coming up.

so we could have:
jvr-nylander-?
timashov-marner-kapanen
bracco-komorov-johnson
soshnikov-gauthier-brown
winnik

we have a lot of support pieces, it would be nice to get another power forward or skilled forward, as well as D.

bernier is serviceable possibly.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
To be honest, I'm not sure if we have any legit cornerstone type players or prospects, but we do have several valuable pieces that can help comprise a winning core. Not every cup winning team has had franchise players on the roster.

I think our future core should look something like this:

JVR
Kadri
Rielly
Gardiner
Nylander
Marner

We also have several good young prospects to compliment that core. We need to find a legit starting goalie and a legit shutdown defenceman.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
To be honest, I'm not sure if we have any legit cornerstone type players or prospects, but we do have several valuable pieces that can help comprise a winning core. Not every cup winning team has had franchise players on the roster.

I think our future core should look something like this:

JVR
Kadri
Rielly
Gardiner
Nylander
Marner

We also have several good young prospects to compliment that core. We need to find a legit starting goalie and a legit shutdown defenceman.

I personally think JVR Jake and Naz are the transition players. Stamkos would be a core component and leader. Rielly is probably top pairing but he won't be a Doughty. I mean there is a chance perhaps but I don't know for sure.

OMO7*

Ideally we can trade JVR for Trouba. It allows them to resign Buff/Ladd because of JVR's contract. Then trade Kadri plus whatever for Drouin. With Stamkos and Nylander down the middle, there is no room for Kadri on a cup contending Leaf team. We need another potential elite W, Drouin fills that role. Add in a top 5 pick this year, probably top 3 considering if we got rid of Kadri and JVR we wouldn't score a goal. Then within 2/3 years this team would be stupid good.

Stamkos
Nylander
Marner
Drouin
Laine/Chychrun
Rielly
Trouba
Gardiner

All that is left is to get an elite G, goalies don't cost much so we should be able to acquire one or two that still need to prove themselves for cheap.

OMO7*

Anyone with Kadri or JVR longterm as their core isn't going to win **** in this league.

OMO7*

Also wtf is this that you need a PWF? Chicago is all skilled players. What you guys mean is an elite winger, it doesn't have to be a PWF. See Kane.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also wtf is this that you need a PWF? Chicago is all skilled players. What you guys mean is an elite winger, it doesn't have to be a PWF. See Kane.

Although Hossa doesn't play like a traditional power forward, he's pretty damn impossible to contain(in his younger days) and one of the strongest forwards I've ever seen on the puck.

In saying that, I agree that elite winger is a better category.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Winning cups is talent based. It's as simple as that. The teams with the best players win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad