7 Members of the Core

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The reason I dislike this line of reasoning is that I feel it over simplifies what is required to win cups let alone multiple cups. When you look at teams who win, it is a 23 man roster that gets it done. It doesn't mean that some of those players are not replaceable but whoever replaces them will need to put in the same effort as those that left. Things like depth, consistency and luck play huge roles in the playoffs.

When I say the teams with the best players win, what I am referring to is that the upper echelon of the NHL are the teams that almost always compete for the cup. Those teams are generally speaking laden with talent and in numerous positions. That's not to discredit the importance of specific positions in the NHL, mainly Defense and Center. Due to the importance of those positions teams are always on the lookout for great Centers and great Defencemen so that is no way a defining reason why you can't win a cup. That may be a defining reason that your team is rebuilding however.

If you take a team like the Leafs, they are not just in need of a 1 or 2 positions to be bolstered but will need exceptional talent in numerous positions and will need depth in the organization to be able to make a long playoff push. That's a ways away from where we are today.

On top of all of that you need a capable front office that will be able to put together a system that will let you compete on the ice. Plus a GM that will be able to take calculated risks when the time is needed. If all you have us "core" pieces and none of the other things you can still very well be a bottom feeder for years.

The point is to oversimplifying it so we then can discuss who of these magic 7 we already have and who will need to draft and trade for. ;)

But already by just comparing LA King´s and Chicago´s up teams as I did above you will see some things that both teams did/had for their cup wins. And that is a 1st line 2-way center and a d-corp that stuck together for some time. Along with some really good 2-way forwards.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Since the big lock out we have had 10 playoffs.

3 teams who lost in the finals have also been on the winning side since then. Boston, Pittsburgh and Detroit.

1 team, LA Kings has won the cup 2 times.

1 team, Chicago has won the cup 3 times.

In the last 6 years only 3 teams have won the cup.

I think it is safe to say it is about a bit more then just having skilled players, a hot goalie and some luck.

Clearly these teams have done something right, their teams are just a bit more balanced then others. Their kind of talented players produce when other teams talented players dont.

As a side note, Hossa has been to half of those finals. Winning 3 and losing 2. So what you need is Hossa. It is just simple maths.

Hossa was on Detroit for 2 finals (1 win, 1 loss), and on Chicago for 3 cup wins. That makes Hossa 4-1 in the cup finals.

Having a player like Hossa definitely helps, absolutely!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Hossa was on Detroit for 2 finals (1 win, 1 loss), and on Chicago for 3 cup wins. That makes Hossa 4-1 in the cup finals.

Having a player like Hossa definitely helps, absolutely!
He was on Pitts for the first loss then went to Detroit the following year - another loss.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The point is to oversimplifying it so we then can discuss who of these magic 7 we already have and who will need to draft and trade for. ;)

But already by just comparing LA King´s and Chicago´s up teams as I did above you will see some things that both teams did/had for their cup wins. And that is a 1st line 2-way center and a d-corp that stuck together for some time. Along with some really good 2-way forwards.

I understand that. It's certainly fun I suppose to think of who will be the core of the future. Unfortunately though there are too many fans that think that as long we have this specific core we should be winners and I am sure you agree that it takes a lot more than that.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I understand that. It's certainly fun I suppose to think of who will be the core of the future. Unfortunately though there are too many fans that think that as long we have this specific core we should be winners and I am sure you agree that it takes a lot more than that.

Yes it takes a lot more then that. And there are several teams each year who not only have that core, but a lot more, who fail to win. No guarantees in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad