7 Members of the Core

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
Not sure where you are getting these multiple top 5 picks from but we certainly will not be getting say Laine and Chychrun, we get one or the other.

I think if we are lucky enough to land in the top three and Pitts makes the playoffs management will likely make a major push for Stamkos. Nylander from all we have seen is ready to make the jump which means our top six could be pretty decent. A lot of things need to fall in place but if it does watch out.

I did try to imply that by writing down multiple options in each possible line up based on a combination of 2016 and 2017 picks. I didn't mean to project the idea of having both on the same line up - basically either one top winger/center from this year + a top dman from next year, or one top D from this year + a top winger/center from next year.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I dont understand this "we wont be contending for another 5 years" rubbish.

Teams have proven time and time again that if the prospect pool is bubbling and you have good management, you can go from a basement dweller to playoff team fast.

And once you get in the playoffs, anything can happen.

My only point is that next year we might still not be playoff ready, but definitely the year after, I would expect to see a team that is not only a playoff team, but a team that expects to win a round.

I think this is reasonable. We have an outstanding prospect pool, the best coach in the world, and management that knows good role players (Winnik, Matthias etc) from bad ones (Clarkson, Bolland -- with Bolland more the fact that he came with an asking price)

Its ok that JVR and Kadri are 25-26. Because in 2-3 years is when they will be most valuable

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
No matter how good your team is if you don't have a goalie who is top 10 in the NHL you won't win the SC. And the Leafs don't have one, or have a prospect in the system

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think the core should be define by position.
To me a contending core must have:
1. An elite scorer, someone that the opposing must put out their best defensive/shut down line out against. Even if this elite scorer is not scoring, at the very least he is playing against opposing best defense thus allowing his teams other lines to play against less defensive opponents.
2. Shut down line that can also score. Not a line of checkers but a line that can play top defense as well as force the opposing team top line to play defense.
3. Two 28plus minutes dmen.
4. Solid Goaltending.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
You NEED a number one centre. Boston (Bergeron), LA (Kopitar), Chicago (Toews)... etc. Being deep down the middle also helps a lot because having reliable options besides your number 1 C spreads out minutes, so it doesn't overly fatigue your number 1 guy.

I didn't know Krejci was spelt like that

Didnt have Hjalmarsson for the first one and I wouldnt bet against them winning another without without Sharp.

The core everyone listed was there for all 3 cups (less Crawford). Sharp didn't do much of anything last year, so I don't think his absence will be much of a problem. That D-core though...

champs*

i think this is more to do with, that you need around 7 core guys to build a team around. You can continue to break it down like pierre did.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
There are a lot of players in Chicago that were a part of all 3 Stanley Cups.

Nearly half the team I believe.

Need to check your work on this one. Probably 6-7 tops, and it's the "core". Toews, Kieth, Hossa, Kane, Seabrook, Sharp, Kruger, and maybe Bickell.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Need to check your work on this one. Probably 5-6 tops, and it's the "core". Toews, Kieth, Hossa, Kane, Seabrook.

I already had. It's more like 8-9.

Even Saad saw a couple games of playoff action in that Blackhawk core's first Cup run season if you want to be precisely technical.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I already had. It's more like 8-9.

Even Saad saw a couple games of playoff action in that Blackhawk core's first Cup run season if you want to be precisely technical.

No he did not, he was drafted in 2011 and they won in 2010 lol. Either way, outside of the core there is 3 players who were there for all 3.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Superised how many people don't see Kadri as a great 2nd line center long term? He's an elite 2nd liner can play tough minutes, is more than capable defensively and has a strong suit of intangibles(draws penalties, plays hard) easily a second line center on a cup contender IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Superised how many people don't see Kadri as a great 2nd line center long term? He's an elite 2nd liner can play tough minutes, is more than capable defensively and has a strong suit of intangibles(draws penalties, plays hard) easily a second line center on a cup contender IMO.

A second line center is a second line center. The "elite" modifier doesn't make sense.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Regardless of who you count in Chicago's core, they don't match up to the formula suggested in the original post. They don't have elite goaltending, they don't have a "shutdown defenceman" in the traditional sense (i.e. big, bruising, maybe doesn't skate that well), and poor centre depth behind Toews.

There isn't a formula.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

He should easily be a #1 C on this team but he gets routinely beaten by Bozak. I just don't think he can be a good 2nd line C on a cup contender.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I think the catch is 'long term'.
My personal hope is that we have 2 other centre's that are better than him in a few years.
On topic I think a 5 man core is realistic; goalie, 1st pairing D, 1st line C and elite scoring winger.
The complimentry pieces are very important too and they could be broken down into sub-core, competent and fodder.
All these things mixed with some luck could get us a cup.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He should easily be a #1 C on this team but he gets routinely beaten by Bozak. I just don't think he can be a good 2nd line C on a cup contender.

"Should be #1...can't be good #2" ummmm....

I just feel like Kadri is a capable 60 point 2nd line piece that a contender would love to have.

Leafsbeast*

You need an elite number 1 centre.

You need consistent secondary scoring.

You need one elite D man that can play D and put up a decent first pass.

You need slightly better than average goaltending.

By getting luck and getting Mathews we have all of the above because that bumps Nylander or Marner to second line centre, which gives you the secondary scoring line. If we don't get mathews, we better sure as poo smells get Stamkos.

My ideal top 9

JVR-Stamkos-Puljujarvi
Marner-Nylander-Timashov
Kapanen-Kadri-Komarov

I know the I put Komarov on the wing but its easier to learn wing. Kapenen can play either wing.

That lineup is completely possible. Sign Stammer, win Puljujarvi at draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad