Prospect Info: 6th IceHogs, Fuel, & NCAA/Junior/Int'l Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Forsling did not play in the Sweden opener today against the Swiss
..Sweden dressed only 6D for tge game....but the injury is day to day so maybe he gets into their next game..

Saw Joni Tuulola play for Finland in their win over Belarus today..No points for him but he did finish +2 ...Nothing special about him..OK defensively as a SAH type...but I do not think he is good enough to have an NHL career.

As for tge USA 4-2 win over Canada today ...score flattered USA ..Canada generated far more dangerous scoring chances ...a lot more of them...but USA had puck luck and some undeserved help from the refs...USA first goal pure luvk..a shot missed tge net wide and rebounds off tge backboard tight to an open Colin White fir wast tap in....pure luck..2nd USA goal came on a penalty that should be very have been called against Canada as the American goalie was out beyond tge blue crease and he initiated contact so should not have been interference against Canada...USA took advantage on the PP point shot through a double screen...Mac Donald in net for Canada had no chance ..Third USA goal was an own goal deflected in by Canadian D-man Hickey ts off a point shot by USA...pure luck goal..So tge first 3 USA goals were hardly deserving and not really a Mano a Mano beating of tge Canadian net minder who had no chance on any of these lucky goals..The last USA goal was another point shot

.MacDonald ganeve a rebound and that was whacked in by Mathews ..so I will give credit 9n that one as deserving..but really 3 lucky goals and 1 of thise on a PP they never should have had in the firs place.The hockey gods were with them but on another day Canada might have scored 7...5hat is how many good scoring chances Canada has if not more 8n this game
..but they only got 2 in.

..My impression of Nick Scmaltz for USA ..he played Centre on their 3rd line...At least he did not flat out stink like last year at the WJHC ..this viewngI would grade A bit better
.upgrade to MEH...still.not crazy about him..do not see anything g special at all..He was mostly 9ne and done on a few routine hardly dagerous shots ..he did make 2 defensive strips in the o-zone but nothing generated off these and he did get a stick on stick to block a scoring chance in 9ne defensive zone play I will.give him.credit for
.but offensively I cannot recall him.generating much action in attacks on net ..hard to see how he got so.many assists at North Dakota because this game he hardly used his wingers at all...mostly on his own trying a few routine shots..Meh Meh.Meh..not impressed by him at all..Still think he lacks pro speed and hustle..more like cruising speed and does a lot of empty circling loopy skating without hard on the puck play..I just do not like his game at all...Not impressed with him
AGAIN...Everyone I have seen him play he does zero to.impress me..so either I miss when he does play well ...or I am correct that he will.not ever star for us as an NHL ER. ..sorry but I just do not get it with him.9r his alkeged vast improvement this year
.I suppose 8f you go from stink to.mwh it is some kind 9f mprovement..but if that is all there is
.it ain't much..

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Schmaltz could have a career day and cure cancer and Fiddy still wouldn't like him.

The analysis is also clouded in bitter salt over an apparently all-luck US win.

The salt is strong in this one.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
So point shots are "lucky goals" now. Interesting...

I dont know what fiddy was watching. I like Schmaltz' game. He is perfect for our system. Plays a great two way game, very responsible in his own end and he's a hell of a passer. Today he had a few nice rushes that he went coast to coast. Diddn't really do anything super impressive but he was definitely solid.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I thought Schmaltz was better than average. I do not agree with Fiddy on the 'luck' win. You could look at Canada not scoring on a 5mn PP as a Canada fail that contributed to the loss. Blaming refs and luck is sodium based criticism.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Jake Dowell has been named the new captain for the Hogs. Well deserved.

It's been a good week for him. Learns he doesn't have the same debilitating disease as his father and brother, than get's named captain of his team.

Unfortunate that he got the the C due to Mashinter being on the Hawks, but at least it's going to someone who deserves it.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
It seemed like the U.S.-Can game was more of a grind it out game with not much display of skill or playmaking. Things just seemed very bottled up. Not much for open ice. I agree with Starman when he said it felt like both teams were playing not to lose. I think you will see more of Schmaltz's playmaking ability as team USA gets more games under their feet.

Good summary of the game 50 :shakehead

The way you ramble on and make excuses you've gotta be related to Don Cherry.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Anyone watch SWE-SUI? Holy chippy. Nylander got smashed with a head shot in open ice. Guy got ejected and there was a lot of nastiness all game long.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
All I am saying is that every time I have seen Schmaltz I see nothing to get excited about...I would trade him in a second for a LW who could fit better on line #1 and make it click (the Saad is not there excuse for Toews and Hossa lousy production)..Even if Schmaltz is a great talent as his supporters on this board claim then where does he fit with us? AS a C he would have to be only a 3C and I do not think he either fits that role or is wasted in it and never gets to top 6 production anyway. ..I suppose you could play him at winger but he is only a 6'0 guy and hardly physical
..but even as a winger did he not play RW not LW? If he is such a great passers-by you want him as a playmaker C anyway..so since 3C is not a role for him would you dare move the vaunted $10.5 million captain to 1 RW just to accommodate the "potential" of this alleged great C in Schmaltz? I do not think so...Thus our best bet is to trade him now for a left winger to click with Toews..
THEN move TT to RW and tell Hossa it is time he played ...that is if he can manage to stay in the lineup and get up in time for morning practices.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
So is every winger in the NHL over 6'0 and physical now? Every single one? Is that some prerequisite I missed a memo about?

Not to mention he's grown...he's 6-1 and creeping up on 185 now.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I have watched UND a few times and I think the criticism that Schmaltz disappears at times is valid. He has high end hands and vision though, hard to know how he will turn out. I thought his positioning yesterday was better than in other games I've seen him.

I am glad to see him at center and hope he stays there (I never had any idea why McNeil was converted to wing while still in junior even though he seemed like an ideal #2 center candidate. Now it seems his window has closed. TT now seems destined for wing as well). I don't think very many saw Ras and Danault as the center depth for this year, but that's how it's turning out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
All I am saying is that every time I have seen Schmaltz I see nothing to get excited about...I would trade him in a second for a LW who could fit better on line #1 and make it click (the Saad is not there excuse for Toews and Hossa lousy production)..Even if Schmaltz is a great talent as his supporters on this board claim then where does he fit with us? AS a C he would have to be only a 3C and I do not think he either fits that role or is wasted in it and never gets to top 6 production anyway. ..I suppose you could play him at winger but he is only a 6'0 guy and hardly physical
..but even as a winger did he not play RW not LW? If he is such a great passers-by you want him as a playmaker C anyway..so since 3C is not a role for him would you dare move the vaunted $10.5 million captain to 1 RW just to accommodate the "potential" of this alleged great C in Schmaltz? I do not think so...Thus our best bet is to trade him now for a left winger to click with Toews..
THEN move TT to RW and tell Hossa it is time he played ...that is if he can manage to stay in the lineup and get up in time for morning practices.

You also wanted to trade Kane for Turris so you 'ability' to see things might be off.

cnhf77

Dec 27, 2015
Schmaltz was essentially relegated to a checking role when DeBrincat's ejection forced Boeser up to the top line. I'd expect him to look more dangerous when Boeser is back with him. As it was, he was given several defensive zone face offs and by my recollection won just about all of them and carried play the other way. Strong puck pursuit too. Nothing mind blowing but he had a nice game.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I've liked this kid's game in the tourney. Is he on the radar to be signed out of college? Seems like a fit for Chicago's system. Only knock is his size.

http://thehockeywriters.com/brandon-fortunato-prospect-profile/

Strengths:

Vision

Hockey sense/IQ

All aspects of skating

Passing

Controlling the powerplay

Great first pass out of the zone

Been a huge fan since his draft year. Did his write up/profile for my employer at the time. He's been to prospect camps and has pro interest and will absolutely be signed out of school. Should be a four-year guy but I think he can be an excellent pro.

When I'm not at work I can pull up my write up at the time. He's a really fun player to watch. I'm not saying he'll be as good but his game reminds of Neidermayer.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Been a huge fan since his draft year. Did his write up/profile for my employer at the time. He's been to prospect camps and has pro interest and will absolutely be signed out of school. Should be a four-year guy but I think he can be an excellent pro.

When I'm not at work I can pull up my write up at the time. He's a really fun player to watch. I'm not saying he'll be as good but his game reminds of Neidermayer.

I thought same thing when I was watching Hicketts on Saturday. Except I thought he played a bit like Keith. Then come to find out he went undrafted and Detroit snatched him up :(. Will say I don't watch these kids ever outside WJC and popular thing to do is compare. Just pulled up the rosters to see who drafted who and noticed Fortunato went undrafted. But hopefully Stan has some interest in him and can manage to snatch up another free asset.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
I missed most of the game. How was Forsling?

I can't say that I noticed him much, but that's sometimes a good thing for a D man. The announcers made a big deal about him being back and that he was playing heavy minutes.

And before HF50 gets to it, I think it's fair to put the blame for the goal against on Schmaltz. He has to pick up Nylander rather than changing on that counter.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I can't say that I noticed him much, but that's sometimes a good thing for a D man. The announcers made a big deal about him being back and that he was playing heavy minutes.

And before HF50 gets to it, I think it's fair to put the blame for the goal against on Schmaltz. He has to pick up Nylander rather than changing on that counter.

True, but I highly doubt he would have been able to keep up to Nylander since he was at the end of his shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad