OT: 61st Obsequious Banter Thread: Peppermint Fatty Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
You tube is usually awesome for things like this. I have replaced the alternator on my wife's Pilot, the passenger side window motor on the same car and the water pump on my daughter's Explorer...all thanks to YouTube.
Although it still doesn't change the fact I hate working on cars nowadays. Too many electronics. My first car was a '68 Mercury Cyclone with a 390. I could almost hop in the engine well, straddle the front end and work on the engine. God I miss carburetors and distributors.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yep, i'd be terrified to touch my car with how everything is computerized.

Hell, I had the spare tire put on and my car freaked the f*** out after, basically the engine went crazy and the suspension basically stopped working at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You tube is usually awesome for things like this. I have replaced the alternator on my wife's Pilot, the passenger side window motor on the same car and the water pump on my daughter's Explorer...all thanks to YouTube.
Although it still doesn't change the fact I hate working on cars nowadays. Too many electronics. My first car was a '68 Mercury Cyclone with a 390. I could almost hop in the engine well, straddle the front end and work on the engine. God I miss carburetors and distributors.

At the Dealership i purchased the vehicle , the salesman said that for most things you can just bring your car in and hook it up to their software which will fix problems automatically. He said only authorized dealers have access to this software which is going to make it hard for outsiders to fix these vehicles. Things are so packed together now in order to remove an Alternator you need to remove about 5 other parts just to get to it and deal with the belt. I am too lazy for that right now.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He said only authorized dealers have access to this software which is going to make it hard for outsiders to fix these vehicles.

Copies do unofficially exist in the wild, but yeah, maintenance is where they make their money now.

I’m extremely lucky my Dad can fix anything and taught me as much as I could handle.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
At the Dealership i purchased the vehicle , the salesman said that for most things you can just bring your car in and hook it up to their software which will fix problems automatically. He said only authorized dealers have access to this software which is going to make it hard for outsiders to fix these vehicles. Things are so packed together now in order to remove an Alternator you need to remove about 5 other parts just to get to it and deal with the belt. I am too lazy for that right now.

on my 2011 Jetta I was having an issue with my oil pressure sensor and they had to remove the alternator and a couple other things to get at it. a 30 dollar sensor ended up being a couple hundred dollar job.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
on my 2011 Jetta I was having an issue with my oil pressure sensor and they had to remove the alternator and a couple other things to get at it. a 30 dollar sensor ended up being a couple hundred dollar job.

Jetta's are notorious for being expensive to maintain. So labor cost you 180? It must be nice to be a Mechanic and get paid 90 dollars an hour, that is great money for someone with no degree.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Copies do unofficially exist in the wild, but yeah, maintenance is where they make their money now.

I’m extremely lucky my Dad can fix anything and taught me as much as I could handle.

They’re obviously not small time criminals & they’re not out there stealing Honda’s but with most cars now being remote operated there’s like devices where you pick up the signals to operate it. I saw a video of these two guys stealing a new Mercedes that way. They both had some type of devices that were relaying the signal. The one guy was scaling the front of the house to get a hit from the remote key inside then it transferred to a guy by the car with another device who opened & started it then they took off.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

I'm surprised this behavior of locking out 3rd parties wouldn't bring up more consumer protection laws. It's kind of similar to Microsoft's embrace\extend\extinguish strategy they used in the 90's when they tried to kill off Java

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Jetta's are notorious for being expensive to maintain. So labor cost you 180? It must be nice to be a Mechanic and get paid 90 dollars an hour, that is great money for someone with no degree.

yeah last year was rough. needed brakes last year as well. there were 2 other senors that went.
I hope I dont get any surprises other than the tires I know I need when i get the inspection in July.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They’re obviously not small time criminals & they’re not out there stealing Honda’s but with most cars now being remote operated there’s like devices where you pick up the signals to operate it. I saw a video of these two guys stealing a new Mercedes that way. They both had some type of devices that were relaying the signal. The one guy was scaling the front of the house to get a hit from the remote key inside then it transferred to a guy by the car with another device who opened & started it then they took off.

Yep. That was done with a specific range of years of Mercedes remotes before some hardware and firmware changes. There are now steps in place that prevent this specific method from working, but there are others.

Information security is my career. I own no voice-activated devices, smart appliances, etc. I do my banking in person, by hand. My important passwords require a physical key to decipher. Make of that what you will.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Damn , i was hoping to get some inside info. Listen to this. I need a new altenator. A shop is charging me 350 for the part. I can purchase that same part at Advanced Puto parts for 160. In fact he was going to purchase the same part from AAP, and then fed me some bs about their 2 year warranty. The part comes with a manufacturers 2 year warranty.

I take it to a shop down the street who says bring in the part and I will only charge you labor. How is a place like that first shop going to stay in business?

There are always 30% off or more codes for advance auto parts online all u have to do is google advance auto discount code...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm surprised this behavior of locking out 3rd parties wouldn't bring up more consumer protection laws. It's kind of similar to Microsoft's embrace\extend\extinguish strategy they used in the 90's when they tried to kill off Java

I think Tesla has opened up these companies to the possibilities and importance of software. It will be really interesting to see how tesla does with 3rd market repairs. I have spoken with a few friends that dabble with cars, and say that everything they have learned is useless with a tesla. Tesla repairs are very expensive, and it is crucial that your every day mechanic is capable to repair them. Tesla's which are amazing cars, and hopefully my next car purchase are just too expensive to own. Parts are ridiculously expensive, and labor is more so. Tesla will have to allow more people access to the software if they want to bring down consumer costs.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yep. That was done with a specific range of years of Mercedes remotes before some hardware and firmware changes. There are now steps in place that prevent this specific method from working, but there are others.

Information security is my career. I own no voice-activated devices, smart appliances, etc. I do my banking in person, by hand. My important passwords require a physical key to decipher. Make of that what you will.

Here's what I make of it: it is no longer fair for you to call me paranoid when I tell you that the game developers are actively trying to kill me, because now I know that we have a "pot-kettle-black" situation on our hands.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I think Tesla has opened up these companies to the possibilities and importance of software. It will be really interesting to see how tesla does with 3rd market repairs. I have spoken with a few friends that dabble with cars, and say that everything they have learned is useless with a tesla. Tesla repairs are very expensive, and it is crucial that your every day mechanic is capable to repair them. Tesla's which are amazing cars, and hopefully my next car purchase are just too expensive to own. Parts are ridiculously expensive, and labor is more so. Tesla will have to allow more people access to the software if they want to bring down consumer costs.

Didn't Tesla open source their car designs? Not sure if that extends to the software or not.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
where were you 2 hours ago? Just teasing , but thank you for that tidbit, i will use it next time.

Sorry busy morning ...code readers work sometimes but I fix most of my cars myself there is a program that u can download to view every function of ur car from a laptop my friend has with a car computer connection that plugs into ur usb port . Amazing what it tells u even fluid levels. I will ask what the program is if anyone is interested.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

One of my mom’s neighbors was an FBI agent who recently retired within the last year or so. I guess he dealt with that type of stuff but he was basically telling my mom the same thing. He said it’s nearly as hard for people like that to get your information as you’d think.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad