Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick 2020: Who Do The Sens Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Byfield + Raymond or Rossi and its a Stanley cup within three years.

Yes sirrrr. Someone also posted:

Perfetti-Byfield. Could be lethal. Oh man. Lots of options. We need to hit homerun on these two picks!!!!!!!

That's some pretty sexy edge work right there! Nice seeing him improve his skating

If he improves his skating he’ll be 80 point player.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
That's some pretty sexy edge work right there! Nice seeing him improve his skating

Edgework has never been the issue for Rossi. Ever since he entered the league, he has been one of the most slippery players down low in the league. He will be really good on the cycle at the NHL level given his edges and commitment to strength and balance. He is more inclined to turn back to the blueline and maintain possession with his back to the defender, than take him on 1 v 1 while facing him.

The issue for Rossi's skating is that his acceleration has always been good by OHL standards, but certainly not great for a small skilled pro, and he also lacks a top gear. It's why there is a question about his upside as a top line center, as there are not too many small centers with average speed who thrive. Once NHL defenders get the book that he won't beat them wide, will they collapse on him negating his favorite plays? Doubt they can shut him down, but might reduce his effectiveness.

That said, his edgework and strength are why he's a sure fire pro and likely will play in the NHL as soon as next year. Combined with his IQ, it's still a great package. He's a bit unique, so it will be interesting to see how he turns out.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Edgework has never been the issue for Rossi. Ever since he entered the league, he has been one of the most slippery players down low in the league. He will be really good on the cycle at the NHL level given his edges and commitment to strength and balance. He is more inclined to turn back to the blueline and maintain possession with his back to the defender, than take him on 1 v 1 while facing him.

The issue for Rossi's skating is that his acceleration has always been good by OHL standards, but certainly not great for a small skilled pro, and he also lacks a top gear. It's why there is a question about his upside as a top line center, as there are not too many small centers with average speed who thrive. Once NHL defenders get the book that he won't beat them wide, will they collapse on him negating his favorite plays? Doubt they can shut him down, but might reduce his effectiveness.

That said, his edgework and strength are why he's a sure fire pro and likely will play in the NHL as soon as next year. Combined with his IQ, it's still a great package. He's a bit unique, so it will be interesting to see how he turns out.

I don't know if its just me but im always impressed by his acceleration. he consistently explodes for loose pucks and is first on them. he does it with the puck as well. slowing play down and lulling the opposition and out of nowhere exploding for a chance or for empty space. Very Alfie like.

I do agree his top speed still needs some work but with how hard he works im sure hes gonna get there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe, but to be fair, he did say this before making his list:

"This is not intended to mock up what the selections will eventually be this… fall?. This is how I perceive the player today in conjunction with how I believe they will progress and develop. It’s projection over current product."

Which in retrospect is an odd excuse because the entire draft is generally based on how good the player will be later on, and not just now. Is this guy supposed to be a reliable opinion on the draft, has he ever been right in previous years? Does he really think Rossi and Holtz are going to be better than Stutzle?
The way I took it he just totally disregarded a players potential floor. So I can see why the picks are laid out that way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if its just me but im always impressed by his acceleration. he consistently explodes for loose pucks and is first on them. he does it with the puck as well. slowing play down and lulling the opposition and out of nowhere exploding for a chance or for empty space. Very Alfie like.

I do agree his top speed still needs some work but with how hard he works im sure hes gonna get there.
I've found his skating to be consistantly underrated around here. I think he gets compared to other smaller star players who are typically burners and because he isn't that everything else gets overlooked. If he were 5'11 people would be talking about how great his edges are, how shifty he is, how great his lateral movement is, how strong he is on his skates, how hard he is to knock off stride and all that. Skating would be viewed as a strength not a flaw.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I do agree his top speed still needs some work but with how hard he works i'm sure hes gonna get there.
Excellent point. Rossi will do everything he can to improve both his technique and his power...Anyway the game is not usually played at everyone going flat out. That extra gear helps in certain situations but if his straight line speed is good enough his edges and iq will get him the rest of the way. Rossi plays knowing what he's going to do next.. get open get the puck move it to an advantageous position and repeat.

Similar to Perfetti. He has straight line issues as well but I am not worried about him being able to get there and his playing style is to slow things down and pick you apart. He knows he has to work on his first few steps and his strength.. I'm sure he will as well.

I hope the Sens take one of Rossi, Perfetti or Raymond at 5. I think walking away with Byfield/Stutle and any one of those 3 and we take a big step.
The isles pick is a wild card depending on who's there but unless we can get Guhle I am waiting on a D until 33. There should be a very good forward (top 6 potential) in the early 20s and for sure in mid teens.

We could fix a little of this and a little of that but 3 forwards in the top 3rd of the 1st, 2 in the top 5 in this draft should really help solidify us up front.
We have enough picks to take a couple shots a D men and there should be a couple with some upside in the early 2nd.

Reactions: HzH and Golden_Jet

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Not everyone is a fabulous skater. *most* prospects skating or accelerations is good by whatever the current standards are of whatever league their in. There are many prospects you can say “yeah their skating will be top tier in the NHL right now”. Only a select few have elite nhl skating. Rossi doesn’t. But i don’t think it will be a hinderance. Yes, are players his size usually a bit more speedy and hyper? Yes. But how many have been as talented as him? As smart? Not
Many. I mean this is the nhl. They like
Big. And we know some of them have rossi creeping into their top 5. Maybe even have him in their top 5.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I've found his skating to be consistantly underrated around here. I think he gets compared to other smaller star players who are typically burners and because he isn't that everything else gets overlooked. If he were 5'11 people would be talking about how great his edges are, how shifty he is, how great his lateral movement is, how strong he is on his skates, how hard he is to knock off stride and all that. Skating would be viewed as a strength not a flaw.
It just something to criticize for people preferring someone else. He could take Foudy there if you want a skater.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not everyone is a fabulous skater. *most* prospects skating or accelerations is good by whatever the current standards are of whatever league their in. There are many prospects you can say “yeah their skating will be top tier in the NHL right now”. Only a select few have elite nhl skating. Rossi doesn’t. But i don’t think it will be a hinderance. Yes, are players his size usually a bit more speedy and hyper? Yes. But how many have been as talented as him? As smart? Not
Many. I mean this is the nhl. They like
Big. And we know some of them have rossi creeping into their top 5. Maybe even have him in their top 5.
For the Sens the only disadvantage is height. He plays a mature 2 way 3 zone game. He is a very strong offensive player with the skills they are looking for. He is arguably one of the most NHL ready prospects. He can win face offs and could add C depth at a minimum. I think he checks some boxes for them if they want a forward at 5. The 2 next best and top ranked forwards are Raymond and Perfetti that tower over Rossi by an inch or possibly less , according to elite prospects. So that will not be the reason to take one of them over Rossi.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
For the Sens the only disadvantage is height. He plays a mature 2 way 3 zone game. He is a very strong offensive player with the skills they are looking for. He is arguably one of the most NHL ready prospects. He can win face offs and could add C depth at a minimum. I think he checks some boxes for them if they want a forward at 5. The 2 next best and top ranked forwards are Raymond and Perfetti that tower over Rossi by an inch or possibly less , according to elite prospects. So that will not be the reason to take one of them over Rossi.
Yeah I thought the same when I checked out their profiles. Like they’re not tall. And this whole “well their not close to their maturity yet they have more development room” I don’t buy that. It’s not “you see is what you get “ with rossi sure he’s already pretty strong. So what. There’s more to hockey than your strength. It’s not as if he comes in he gets 50 points next year and that’s it that’s all he will ever be. There are other things that a player can develop. Especially a smart player like rossi. It’s going to be very interesting to see what red wings do at 4.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I thought the same when I checked out their profiles. Like they’re not tall. And this whole “well their not close to their maturity yet they have more development room” I don’t buy that. It’s not “you see is what you get “ with rossi sure he’s already pretty strong. So what. There’s more to hockey than your strength. It’s not as if he comes in he gets 50 points next year and that’s it that’s all he will ever be. There are other things that a player can develop. Especially a smart player like rossi. It’s going to be very interesting to see what red wings do at 4.
I will guarantee you Rossi won’t go 4th.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Brayden Point was 5'9 161 in his draft year

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Brayden Point was 5'9 161 in his draft year

Yeah but people will say he had that extra room to fill out. (Honestly I thiught point was terrible at the wjcs. Like I never would have guessed he would have became what he is).

Not to mention Braydon Point was drafted in the 3rd round. It has never been a question of whether or not Rossi will be a good NHL player, but rather, is he worth the risk in the top 7ish picks or are there safer options between 4 and 7?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah but people will say he had that extra room to fill out. (Honestly I thiught point was terrible at the wjcs. Like I never would have guessed he would have became what he is).
Seriously? He was incredible and had more chemistry with Mcdavid than anyone.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I think the Point v Rossi comparison is a really good one to consider in terms of draft status.

It's not like Rossi is being treated like Corey Locke for his skating. A good comparison. Locke's skating was average by OHL standards, Rossi's is not. He is a fantastic skater overall, who just doesn't have the elite acceleration and top gear. But skating is obviously more than just speed, and acceleration and top gear can improve a bit relative to your cohort, if you work hard. No doubt Rossi will do that. But top speed for a small center is important, so he'll take at least a slight hit for it. Put it this way - it's the reason he's not seen as a Patrick Kane and Jack Hughes type given his production. That missing gear is the difference between pushing Lafrenniere and being 5-10th. A fair drop I'd say.

SoRossi is obviously getting loads of respect as a potential scoring line center as a top 10 pick in this draft compared to how Point was seen. But keep in mind that while Point was a bit smaller, he was a MUCH better skater. Rossi's IQ and playmaking likely considered better, although Point was seen as an elite center in this regard too. Point's numbers weren't at Rossi's level, but relative to his team mates, his were actually better. He scored over 90 points in his draft year, with no one else scoring more than 55 points. Scoring 80% more points than anyone else on your team is a crazy high number. These were numbers discussed a lot on the prospect board re Point.

I'm not sure if people recall, but Point was arguably the biggest faller that draft. Kudos to Craig Button who had him 17th overall. Some NHL GM probably wish they listened to him. Certainly us taking Miles Gendron ahead of Point was exhasperating to me. I thought we should have taken him in the 2nd. THN also had him 42nd. And many others gave him 1st round grades. There were a lot of people on these boards who adored Point as a scoring line center, and it's a great example where the NHL scouts really dropped the ball and if someone had just used a consensus ranking, would have likely grabbed Point a round "Too soon" and been duly rewarded. When he was taken in the 3rd, it made a lot of us feel sort of stupid about being so bullish, other than knowing NHL scouts could have been wrong again.

Circling back to Rossi, I think players like Point are helping Rossi get a bit more respect. But there is still a skating delta between the two players, so it's not like Rossi is a sure fire ppg player. And someone critical of his skating on why he should say be 8th instead of 5th is a pretty small criticism and ranking hit in the grand scheme of things. It's also a fair question.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not to mention Braydon Point was drafted in the 3rd round. It has never been a question of whether or not Rossi will be a good NHL player, but rather, is he worth the risk in the top 7ish picks or are there safer options between 4 and 7?
Not to mention that many of the same things were said about both players in their draft profiles. Also not to mention that Brayden Point put up 91 pts in 72 Games in his draft year (1.26 pts /g) and Marco Rossi put up 120 in 56 (2.14 pts /g) thats very close to 1 pt/g difference. Also Rossi is over 20 lbs bigger than Point in their Draft years. So given that both were considered to have similar playing styles .. one clearly surpasses the other in size, strength and statistically to adequately justify a higher ranking.

Safe is a consideration. It should not be at the top of the list imo. If you value safe too highly you will end up with a roster full of tweeners. I do not agree that Rossi would rank low on the Safe scale in that 4-7 range (Drysdale, Perfetti, Raymond, Rossi, Sanderson) .. of course the term would need to be specifically defined . You could safely project Schneider to be a bottom pair NHL D and have a lot of confidence he reaches that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Braydon Point didn't set top 20 all time pts/g records for his age bracket in his league,

Kane was 5'9 160 his draft year. Nobody questioned whether he was worth the risk, and Rossi funny enough just had the best production in an 18 year old OHL season since Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad