OT: 59th Obsequious Banter Thread: (Giroux + Simmonds + Couturier + Voracek + Patrick + Sanheim) ÷ Gudas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I've been dying to go to South Korea and Japan. I may not be able to do it this coming summer, but hopefully the summer of 2019. Going together with my girlfriend of course :). Sad thing is, I've never been off this continent. Never been to Europe or even Central America. The closest I've been to off this continent is Martha's Vineyard.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Most kids probably won't relate to The Goonies or Stand By Me because they never get off their fat little asses and go play outside anymore. It doesn't help when stupid parents are too lazy to kick them out, choose to live somewhere where there is no outside to play in, or no other kids around. I grew up with armies of kids of all ages and lived by a beach and on the edge of a park. When I watch the kids in Stranger Things, it really is like seeing my childhood again.

Back in my day, parents would abandon us kids on a deserted island for the summer. We'd play banjo and celebrate the grandeur of nature.

Mostly a good time, though I remember that I had a strange dream one night. I was tied to a tree and my brother was in my face screaming "SQUEAL LITTLE PIGGY." The apathy in his eyes to my torture gave me such a fright--are humans bound by some sense of morality or are doomed to savagery away from civilization? My friend clubbed my former brother, now frothing stranger, in the head and we escaped. The next morning I woke up and my parents were back. We ate Twinkies and played Pokémon on the car ride back. My brother traded me his level 50 charizard for another Twinkie and a butterfree.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I've been dying to go to South Korea and Japan. I may not be able to do it this coming summer, but hopefully the summer of 2019. Going together with my girlfriend of course :). Sad thing is, I've never been off this continent. Never been to Europe or even Central America. The closest I've been to off this continent is Martha's Vineyard.

I was trying to get there before the Olympics in 2020, and still will, but it's really more or less impossible to get a university teaching job without a masters, so I am going to try to plow through one in one year starting next year and then see what I can scrape together. I've also got some creative ventures that I am going to be aiming at Japan, but the odds of that working are almost nil, especially since I probably won't finish them, due to my overwhelming laziness.

Reactions: SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I still can't believe the 2020 Olympics is going to be in Tokyo... seriously, f***ing Akira called back in the 80s :laugh:. Planning on staying a week in each country. My girlfriend, we're going together on this, spent a month in South Korea a few years ago for her school. She absolutely loved it and wants to go back.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I still can't believe the 2020 Olympics is going to be in Tokyo... seriously, ****ing Akira called back in the 80s :laugh:. Planning on staying a week in each country. My girlfriend, we're going together on this, spent a month in South Korea a few years ago for her school. She absolutely loved it and wants to go back.

This semester I have a small-ish group of Japanese exchange students, who I get along with perfectly, which is always the case with the Japanese. I have gone from joking with them about getting me a job, to flat out asking them to get me a job, to - this morning - more or less begging them unashamedly to get me a job. We were talking about their schedule and I was like "Yada yada the semester ends in December, then your internship is in January, then we go back to Japan." They think I'm bonkers, and they aren't wrong, but they do call me "kawaii" constantly, which is all that matters in the end.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Back in my day, parents would abandon us kids on a deserted island for the summer. We'd play banjo and celebrate the grandeur of nature.

Mostly a good time, though I remember that I had a strange dream one night. I was tied to a tree and my brother was in my face screaming "SQUEAL LITTLE PIGGY." The apathy in his eyes to my torture gave me such a fright--are humans bound by some sense of morality or are doomed to savagery away from civilization? My friend clubbed my former brother, now frothing stranger, in the head and we escaped. The next morning I woke up and my parents were back. We ate Twinkies and played Pokémon on the car ride back. My brother traded me his level 50 charizard for another Twinkie and a butterfree.

Im calling BS.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I should've binged that show when it was still on Netflix. That reminds me I still have to buy the third volume of Invader Zim someday. I still can't believe they gave the creator of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac his own Nicktoon and it was GLORIOUS.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I dont understand how espn hasn't made massive changes at this point. The ship is sinking, your delaying the inevitable, make massive changes to your content,your presentation, your web presence and change gears.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
This semester I have a small-ish group of Japanese exchange students, who I get along with perfectly, which is always the case with the Japanese. I have gone from joking with them about getting me a job, to flat out asking them to get me a job, to - this morning - more or less begging them unashamedly to get me a job. We were talking about their schedule and I was like "Yada yada the semester ends in December, then your internship is in January, then we go back to Japan." They think I'm bonkers, and they aren't wrong, but they do call me "kawaii" constantly, which is all that matters in the end.

あああ、かわそう。来年に日本で行きます!
I'm so sorry. Hope you guys get to your Dreamland one day soon! I'm going next year and probably 2020 for the Olympics. Have been there five times

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I stopped watching ESPN not soon after the Pardon the Interruption style content became the norm. Talking heads blabbering on with hot takes.

That network sucks.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

A little late, but you should change your name to Captain Kawaii and have an avatar of Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I just want to say how tired I am of reading how "X player on Y team is quietly becoming a Z". Shut the f*** up, please. Be Quiet.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I actually like PTI and I don't think that show is meant to be as serious as First Take which is nauseating.

I just hate to see actually talent like Jayson Stark let go and Stephen A Smith continually gets an outlet to spew nonsense

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I dont understand how espn hasn't made massive changes at this point. The ship is sinking, your delaying the inevitable, make massive changes to your content,your presentation, your web presence and change gears.

These upcoming layoffs are apparently going to kill off a good chunk of their regular programming. Apparently SportsCenter isn’t going to be much of thing going forward after this. They’re going to start outsourcing to other media companies to fill time slots.

The tv deals they did with other sports leagues for their tv rights essentially killed off their company with cord cutting becoming a thing.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would argue live sports like the NBA and MNF are the only thing keeping ESPN alive at this point. I would cut the cord if not for their live sports

Yeah it’s the only time I actually watch ESPN is for live sports. But the money spent on them back then was based on a different market that has drastically changed since then. So it’s not as good of a value as it should be money wise for ESPN. So that’s why they had to make employee cuts to help out the bottom line.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
You guys really watch that much ESPN Live Sports content? Only thing it's useful for is College Football - and there's loads of other networks who also show that.

You pay $96 a year to ESPN wether you watch anything on the channels or not... Most leagues will give you all of their games for the whole season for just a bit more than that - and this is before we get into other options like Amazon or YouTubeTV

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You guys really watch that much ESPN Live Sports content? Only thing it's useful for is College Football - and there's loads of other networks who also show that.

You pay $96 a year to ESPN wether you watch anything on the channels or not... Most leagues will give you all of their games for the whole season for just a bit more than that - and this is before we get into other options like Amazon or YouTubeTV

I can’t speak for the other poster but I have cable. But yeah I really only watch ESPN for football. I watch the league network channels more than anything for non-live sports programs.

Ever since the NFL Network started doing coverage for the Draft I stopped watching ESPN’s coverage of it. The NFL Network crew has so much of a better panel of hosts & analysts to me.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I can’t speak for the other poster but I have cable. But yeah I really only watch ESPN for football. I watch the league network channels more than anything for non-live sports programs.

Ever since the NFL Network started doing coverage for the Draft I stopped watching ESPN’s coverage of it. The NFL Network crew has so much of a better panel of hosts & analysts to me.

Nah you can speak for me too lol I feel the exact same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad