Post-Game Talk: #5 | Capitals 2 at FLYERS 8| Sat. Oct. 14, 7:00 pm ET

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Living in Virginia, I unfortunately get to see and hear those two whenever the Caps and Flyers play on tv. I know the home team announcers tend to be homers, but listening to Beninati and Laughlin can be unbearable at times.

Laughlin is the absolute worst I’ve ever heard. I know home announcers tend to be homers and that’s fine - but I draw the line at loud, unknowledgeable, obnoxious, morons. He’s not the only one out there, but he’s by far the worst.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Laughlin is the absolute worst I’ve ever heard. I know home announcers tend to be homers and that’s fine - but I draw the line at loud, unknowledgeable, obnoxious, morons. He’s not the only one out there, but he’s by far the worst.

The Broadcasting Subsection on my List is full to bursting - I'd have to do some calculations, run the old hate sliderule over it, but off the top of my head I'd say he's around maybe 8th worst for me. No, wait. The Gargantuan Human Penis is first, obviously, and then Denis Potvin. I have previous with Panger, being a Blues announcer, and Bernie Federko is a mule of a man. Mickey Redmond is awful. The Penguins crew is unspeakably terrible, obviously. Tripp Tracy with the Canes is a monkey's uncle and Tyson Nash is exponentially worse than that. Kenny Albert looks like he got his head stuck in a giant sandwich press, and he has that Albert voice, so that's no good. I'd rather gouge out my ears with an ice cream scooper than listen to Jack Edwards. Marty Biron speaks some Elvish dialect, Sylvan I think, so he's out. How many is that? He's after them.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers are in a much different situation this year. The C depth is better, though it would improve more with Giroux back at pivot. The depth on D is also much better. There are ~3-4 players on the Phantoms who could get called up at any time and provide NHL quality play. Last season, there was much more roster slop and little in the way of reinforcements.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it'd be a disappointment.

It is still going to be tough. Pens, Caps(even with last night), and CBJ are better than the Flyers. I think they will be fighting for a WC spot until the end. But at the very least this team should be more entertaining then last years team.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No, he's not.
Lindblom is in the AHL b/c he showed in camp he wasn't NHL ready.
If he tears up the AHL, Hextall will find room for him, the Flyers have more than enough cap room to add him.
He wasn't ready according to Hextall's nearly impossible standards on young players, but plenty of teams around the league (including ones with far more recent success than the Flyers ) would've had Lindblom in their lineup to start the season. Weise is just another example of a try-hard getting overvalued by the management team and coaching staff.

Reactions: Peacekeeper

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
The Broadcasting Subsection on my List is full to bursting - I'd have to do some calculations, run the old hate sliderule over it, but off the top of my head I'd say he's around maybe 8th worst for me. No, wait. The Gargantuan Human Penis is first, obviously, and then Denis Potvin. I have previous with Panger, being a Blues announcer, and Bernie Federko is a mule of a man. Mickey Redmond is awful. The Penguins crew is unspeakably terrible, obviously. Tripp Tracy with the Canes is a monkey's uncle and Tyson Nash is exponentially worse than that. Kenny Albert looks like he got his head stuck in a giant sandwich press, and he has that Albert voice, so that's no good. I'd rather gouge out my ears with an ice cream scooper than listen to Jack Edwards. Marty Biron speaks some Elvish dialect, Sylvan I think, so he's out. How many is that? He's after them.
Which penguins crew their announcers or the ones on nbc sports

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No, he's not.
Lindblom is in the AHL b/c he showed in camp he wasn't NHL ready.
If he tears up the AHL, Hextall will find room for him, the Flyers have more than enough cap room to add him.
So Weise, Filppula, and a few others aren't NHL ready either? Because he was better than they were.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Weise, Filppula, and a few others aren't NHL ready either? Because he was better than they were.

Best part is that he only played 2 preseason games with the veteran core also in the lineup and in the 2nd one he was one of our best forwards and scored a goal.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think ultimately it was between Lindblom and Leier. And since they didn't want to "lose" Leier through waivers, they chose the inferior option.

Weise was always going to be on the team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Lindblom was better, he'd be starting.
Hextall had no problem playing Provorov and Konency last year out of junior, or Patrick this year, or starting Leier and Laughton after their AHL apprenticeship.
Hextall probably has film on every game and practice this kids have played the last few years.

Weise won because Lindblom didn't, that is, Weise had shown last year that he could produce in a 3rd line role, it was up to Lindblom to convince Hextall he was clearly better, because Weise wasn't a good 4th line fit. If Lindblom was merely equal, why eat Weise's salary?
Leier had proven himself and was a better fit on the 4th line. So Lindblom was the odd man out.

For Hextall it's simple, a young player has to win a job, he won't be given one.
If Lindblom lights up the AHL (his defense was never an issue) and shows he's comfortable on NA ice, he'll be up in a month or two.
And if he doesn't, he's not worthy of a promotion.

Of course the way we'll probably find out is "Flyers trade xxx for a yyy pick and zzzz"

Last edited:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
It is still going to be tough. Pens, Caps(even with last night), and CBJ are better than the Flyers. I think they will be fighting for a WC spot until the end. But at the very least this team should be more entertaining then last years team.

They are? I think the Metropolitan will be competitive. Lots of parity.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Lindblom is not a better NHL player right now than Filppula. He may well be better than Weise, but he's in the AHL because it's better for his development to have a top 6 and PP1 role down there to start this season.

If Weise doesn't start scoring soon, I wonder if they would try Lehtera-Filppula-Simmonds/Konecny. Lehtera is slow, but maybe he would have some chemistry with his fellow Fin, and then you put a quick Canadian goal scorer on the RW to balance things out.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why have Simmonds on 3rd line, defintely don't like this. He has been most consistent scorer the last 3 years and you want to drop him to the 3rd line after 5 games.

2nd line and 3rd line are pretty meaningless distinctions on this team. They'll both get similar minutes, and it's really about who gels better with who.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom is not a better NHL player right now than Filppula. He may well be better than Weise, but he's in the AHL because it's better for his development to have a top 6 and PP1 role down there to start this season.

I'm not sure he's better than Weise right now. Watching him last night, Lindblom looks like he's still getting used to the speed (i.e. faster decisions due to smaller windows on smaller ice, not faster players) of the NA game. That shouldn't take that long, but it does mean the experienced veteran had the edge to start the season.

It's very possible by the end of this year, or the beginning of next year, the only experienced veterans in this lineup will be G - C - V on the 1st line, Simmonds, Raffl, and Gudas on defense, six of eighteen players, and one less if Simmonds is traded rather than extended. So it's understandable that Hextall feels no need to force feed kids.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall is clearly comfortable leaving a guy in the AHL for extra development time even if it means having an inferior player on the roster.

That is why VdV played 79 more NHL games than Laughton did last year.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

If Weise doesn't start scoring soon, I wonder if they would try Lehtera-Filppula-Simmonds/Konecny. Lehtera is slow, but maybe he would have some chemistry with his fellow Fin, and then you put a quick Canadian goal scorer on the RW to balance things out.
I was only making a point about how if that tiny sample size of two preseason games were enough to say he "showed in camp that he wasn't NHL ready" then by that same logic Filppula and Weise must have shown the same thing (since he looked better than them in that tiny sample size).

The point is that it's a ridiculous thing to say about any of them.

I don't believe for a second that Hextall ever had an intention of keeping Lindblom in the NHL to start the season. There's no way that was the plan but he changed his mind after only a pair of games (where Lindblom didn't even play bad at all) and then had him sit for the rest of the preseason. He was always destined for the AHL. I'm also not saying that's the end of the world, I'm nowhere near as annoyed about him being in the AHL as I am about Morin.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I know he wasn't technically traded, but Bellemare was the most reliably respectable and respectably reliable guy in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad