Post-Game Talk: #5 | Capitals 2 at FLYERS 8| Sat. Oct. 14, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall buried MacDonald in the AHL two years ago, he's buried Read there this season, he got Lehtera on the bench, that's a lot of money not dressing on a regular basis.

Lindblom could have won a job in camp, same with MV and Morin, Hextall/Hakstol don't see the same things we see. They study film of these guys, know their strength and weaknesses, and use TC to guage their progress, not focus on highlights.

Laughton showed he could score but had no clue defensively, didn't show improvement in camp, a year in the AHL, now he's shining.

Leier came up last year and was meh, stepped it up in camp and won a job.

Weal was awful in a cameo two years ago, didn't do enough in camp to win a job, went to the AHL, came back stronger and more focused, won a job and continues to improve (much stronger on the puck this year).

Hagg had a so-so year, didn't do much in camp, went down to the AHL, worked on his game, now he's starting with Ghost.

It's an obvious pattern, Hextall wants to see improvement, then show me in camp you're ready by demonstrating you know how to play the game, in a SSS points are basically luck, but playing the game right, with consistent fundamental hockey (positioning, angles, good decisions) is required to get promoted. And when you get a shot, take advantage of it.

When Lindblom is ready, it'll be obvious (he has the basics down, it's just adjusting to a smaller ice and smaller windows), and Hextall will make room for him.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They didn't try too hard to keep him. That's why he's in Vegas.
He may not have been #1 on their protect list, but if signing a binding guaranteed contract isn't trying to keep someone...

I don't think they thought they were in too much danger of losing him. It was surprising to see him taken over Raffl or Read. I assume that's who they though would be snatched up too.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Hextall buried MacDonald in the AHL two years ago, he's buried Read there this season, he got Lehtera on the bench, that's a lot of money not dressing on a regular basis.

Lindblom could have won a job in camp, same with MV and Morin, Hextall/Hakstol don't see the same things we see. They study film of these guys, know their strength and weaknesses, and use TC to guage their progress, not focus on highlights.

Laughton showed he could score but had no clue defensively, didn't show improvement in camp, a year in the AHL, now he's shining.

Leier came up last year and was meh, stepped it up in camp and won a job.

Weal was awful in a cameo two years ago, didn't do enough in camp to win a job, went to the AHL, came back stronger and more focused, won a job and continues to improve (much stronger on the puck this year).

Hagg had a so-so year, didn't do much in camp, went down to the AHL, worked on his game, now he's starting with Ghost.

It's an obvious pattern, Hextall wants to see improvement, then show me in camp you're ready by demonstrating you know how to play the game, in a SSS points are basically luck, but playing the game right, with consistent fundamental hockey (positioning, angles, good decisions) is required to get promoted. And when you get a shot, take advantage of it.

When Lindblom is ready, it'll be obvious (he has the basics down, it's just adjusting to a smaller ice and smaller windows), and Hextall will make room for him.

Great post. Hextall clearly intends to be patient and he and Hextall clearly intend to focus on solid defense, hence TK sitting last year and Sanheim this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep. Their intentions are blindingly obvious.

I don't understand why reality is so unimportant to some people.

Just look at his posts in the GDT VS Caps:

He defended Mannings pinch that led to a goal.
He said to credit Haksol for the top line.

Then after the game: Manning and Mac Daddy tied for second on the team in +/- tonight.

He clearly has an agenda.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm in such a good mood about that performance last night, and their performance against Nashville, too, really, that I don't even see what I can hate.

I will even give Hakstol a reprieve for scratching Sanheim.

He has the team playing like absolute gangbusters, and, to me, Couturier centering the first line has been a godsend.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm in such a good mood about that performance last night, and their performance against Nashville, too, really, that I don't even see what I can hate.

I will even give Hakstol a reprieve for scratching Sanheim.

He has the team playing like absolute gangbusters, and, to me, Couturier centering the first line has been a godsend.

Last nights offensive outburst was great for the 1st line. In the previous 4 games, they had 2 ES goals. So hopefully they can build on it and become that dominant 1st line we all want.

The 4th line is just such an upgrade in skill as well.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Last nights offensive outburst was great for the 1st line. In the previous 4 games, they had 2 ES goals. So hopefully they can build on it and become that dominant 1st line we all want.

The 4th line is just such an upgrade in skill as well.

I know we have a lot of posters who still want Giroux at center, but I just love the line with Couturier between him and Voracek and I think it will only get better as they get more accustomed to their roles. I think Couturier has been pretty fantastic -- I'm seeing more offense from him than I've ever seen. Plus, he does a great job mitigating the defensive problems G & V have now. He carries a heavy burden and makes the life so much better for his linemates -- why not make the lives better for G & V?

The 4th line upgrade is exactly what we all complained about -- what on Earth was Hextall doing with Bellemare and Vandevelde?

Laughton and Leier play like they're shot out of a cannon.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think having Couturier at center makes it easier for everyone else to slot in. I was on the fence with it before but now considering how they have been offensively this season, especially 5 on 5 I think you have to leave Giroux on the wing. Having 2 guys that can take faceoffs on the top line is an added bonus

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think having Couturier at center makes it easier for everyone else to slot in. I was on the fence with it before but now considering how they have been offensively this season, especially 5 on 5 I think you have to leave Giroux on the wing. Having 2 guys that can take faceoffs on the top line is an added bonus

I like everything about it.

I just think G is so much better on the wing at this stage of his career, and I think Couturier absorbs so much of their flaws -- plus has a cerebral subtlety that works with G. To me, Couturier extends both of their shelf lives. And even though Couturier will scuff some chances, overall it's going to be a net gain.

They're just coming into their own as a line. Couturier is just coming into his own. He may be one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last 25 games since Weal and Filppula joined together on the 2nd line (face it, by the end of the season G was centering the 3rd line).
Flyers ES have outscored opponents by 58-39 despite goaltending that is well below average.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This is the first time they've rolled out 4 lines that can hold their own that I can remember, even 6-7 years ago they were basically a 3 line team.

C has revived G & V
Filppula is a great fit with Weal and Simmonds
Weise does the dirty work, Patrick directs traffic, and the D-men and Konency look to score
Leier - Laughton - Raffl have been skating as if a rabid wolf pack is on their heels

What's not to like?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Hextall is clearly comfortable leaving a guy in the AHL for extra development time even if it means having an inferior player on the roster.

That is why VdV played 79 more NHL games than Laughton did last year.
And who can really argue that 79 games of VdV LAST year wasn't worth the 5 games of 2017 Laughton and hopefully many more to come.

THE BEST part about all of this for me is how GREAT our youth is getting. We have been calling up some of these guys, and there is MORE to come. Every one of our 1st and 2nd round picks from 2011 on is looking like they will be NHL players, some of them are already good NHL players, some look to be good NHL players, not one a bust. How many teams can really say this. IMO, this is a huge recipe for success.

GirouxCouturier

GirouxMVP
Jul 4, 2010
British Columbia
He wasn't ready according to Hextall's nearly impossible standards on young players, but plenty of teams around the league (including ones with far more recent success than the Flyers ) would've had Lindblom in their lineup to start the season. Weise is just another example of a try-hard getting overvalued by the management team and coaching staff.
Hahahah a try hard, like the guy isn't trying to make a life for his family and a happy retirement

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Explain why Ghost and Neck were benched last year while inferior players were immune. Because that shatters your opening line.

IMO, because the coach was pushing them developmentally.

What I mean by this is: Hak sees Ghost/Konecny can be doing better based on ability -- yet they were stalled. Benching them, in the end, could help them reset and start back on their progressive movement.

However, with someone like Andy Mc and Chris Vandevelde-- they are who they are. Benching them doesn't mean much other than confirming they suck (like we already know).

I know, I know I'm going to hear "But if they're still better, what does it matter?" ...well, if Hak is the developmental coach he's supposed to be (since he wasn't long ago a college coach) then I think it makes sense this would be his approach with young guys. Give them the opportunity, and adjust -- it's the classic challenge and support approach.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
and their performance against Nashville, too, really, that I don't even see what I can hate.

No matter how many times this gets said, it will still be untrue. I don't mean to single you out because it's assuredly not just you, but I keep seeing it crop up here and there. They were dominant for a ~12 minute stretch. Overall, they were outplayed.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I was at the game and truly the highlight of the night was MacDonald getting boo'd out of the building in his introduction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad