Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Devils over Ottawa: Gimmie Moore Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
If Prout could cut down on the dumb ass penalties (though I think that’s a feature not a bug), he’d be a way better option than Lovejoy imo. He does almost everything better than that guy. Ideally neither are in the lineup and Mueller starts to play well.

lets be honest anything is better than lovejoy. prout make take dumb penalties but hes not giving up goals while hes out there. cant like either of them. sign carlson this offseason keep mueller, kick prout to the curb. done.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mueller really hasn’t been that bad.
I think he's struggled a bit. Seems to be stuck in his end a lot.

I would have been fine with playing him and not scratching him, but I'm glad he was scratched over Santini or Severson, who I don't expect will be scratched this year.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Mueller has been a disappointment, but I think he's better than what we've seen so far.

I think Mueller's been fine, especially for a 22 year old rookie, but even if he wasnt, he'd have to be horrendous to be worse than Prout.

Hynes protected Prout in both of his games and only gave him 13 minutes in ATOI, which is horrific for a D-man and detrimental to the team.

Compare that to Mueller who was paired with another rookie in every game, and gets sent out on the PK, including the key last minute of the Tampa game averaging close to 19 minutes per game. Honestly, it's not even a close comparison.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Definitely. Our defense still gives me heart attacks at evens but overall we haven't been as bad as I expected in that regard, it is the PK that's just been a nightmare. Our PK set-up is atrocious, we essentially have a triangle and then have one rover covering the point and half-walls, it's somewhat ridiculous. Bratt is so good at it because of how relentless he is as that high guy but not everyone plays that aggressive and it hurts us bigly.

Once we find that pillar for the left side we will be off to the races

Really want to get it with our first this offseason one way or another.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
First call against Prout was trash. Should have taken both guys or neither. Second call was a really stupid slash by him, then he almost gets another penalty when he came out.

Reactions: Bleedred

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I didn't think Prout was that bad? But then again I have no problem with players taking penalties being aggressive and I would never consider a penalty sticking up for a teammate a dumb one.

I used to be exactly like that too.

I used to like wrist watches, going to the library, using paper maps, and music stores too, but the world has moved on.

There's no place in the NHL for a slow, plodding, defenseman, who takes dumb penalties, and is a "2 Minutes for Roughing" time-bomb every time he steps on the ice. I really believe he's done.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he's Mueller's been fine, especially for a 22 year old rookie, but even if he wasnt, he'd have to be horrendous to be worse than Prout.

Hynes protected Prout in both of his games and only gave him 13 minutes in ATOI, which is horrific for a D-man and detrimental to the team. Compare that to Mueller who was paired with another rookie in every game, and gets sent out on the PK, including the key last minute of the Tampa game averaging close to 19 minutes per game. Honestly, it's not even a close comparison.
Ideally, I wouldn't mind Mueller back in there, but I think Prout has been okay. I don't really raise the bar very high for Prout though, as he's just an okay borderline #6/#7. Over the long term, I'd like to see Mueller in there over him, but I'm also happy that Santini and Severson haven't been scratched, and very happy that Lovejoy has played just 2 games.
First call against Prout was trash. Should have taken both guys or neither. Second call was a really stupid slash by him, then he almost gets another penalty when he came out.
That's what I think.

First call was stupid. Second call was a dumb slash by him, then he almost took another penalty after that, and I was on edge that he was about to take another one at several points later in the game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Corsi is worthless
I don't agree that it's worthless at all.

It's also not the be all end all. If it were, Jacob Josefson would be considered a good player, which he really isn't, at all. There are some exceptions to the rule. It's by no means perfect.

I do think corsi over small sample sizes is sometimes worthless, or at least not worth as much as long term stats. Much like single game goalie stats.

With how early in the season it is, there's going to be a lot of weird percentages, that usually even out after the first month. Mueller's have been really bad, but it's also very rare for anyone to be that bad over a significant sample size of games.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Prout is not an ok #6, he's a bad #7 which means he is an AHLer.

Essentially, this, or so it seems.

I'll give him another game or two, but you cant teach speed, and even without the bonehead plays, he's #8 on the "speed chart" among the 8 Devils defenseman.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Prout is not an ok #6, he's a bad #7 which means he is an AHLer.
I'll just say he's an okay #7. And he's been used exactly like that this season. He's only played in 2 games of 7.

And there's no way he's as bad as Peter Harrold, Mark Fraser or Seth Helgeson. If anything, he's a rich man's Helgeson/Fraser. That doesn't mean that he's good, just that he doesn't suck as bad as those guys. Those guys are pretty terrible.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Happy for Severson, he didn't have a good first half of the game, but the 2nd half of the game, he played solid and I was happy to see that.

Santini on the other hand didn't play his best game.

See guys I give praise when it's warranted.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't agree that it's worthless at all.

It's also not the be all end all.

Yes, I say "worthless" sarcastically, but I do think it's a fairly terrible metric for enough reasons that I could write a treatise on. I should probably change it to, "You dont understand Corsi" or "Corsi isnt what you think" or something.

You're closer to the truth in the 2nd sentence, but what I've noticed is the last few years MANY people do act like it is IS the "be all end all", which is just silly. My current hypothesis is most of those people just want to sound smart, because it really is illogical to base 95% of your decisions on Corsi, which is just a terribly flawed metric in its' tabulation.

Frankly, I like the simple +/- about 10x better than Corsi, and +/- is also a flawed metric. Ironically, part of the genesis of Corsi was to address some of the limitations of +/-.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad