Post-Game Talk: 49 shots; 2 goals - Jets win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Results wise: Thorbz did better on third line because his linemates were better, but the third line did worse overall with him than without.

He was dragging down the 3rd line, which is why they did worse... but his linemates were better so he was in the offensive zone more; therefore, had more opportunities to do things that impress people (shoot the puck, a goal scored and he's on the ice, etc) and less opportunities to do to things you would frown upon (giveaways in dzone, run around getting shots against, a goal against scored and he's on the ice, etc.).

This is the thing with usage: it doesn't just impact statistics, but also perception of player performance.

It seems as though Thorburn is playing better, but in reality he's just playing with better.

Agreed.

Thorbs is looking awful now, regardless of who he plays with. He looks slow and incapable of making a play with the puck. Not much different than before, but maybe more obvious now that the Jets seem to have a lot more quick players that he can play with.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Results wise: Thorbz did better on third line because his linemates were better, but the third line did worse overall with him than without.

He was dragging down the 3rd line, which is why they did worse... but his linemates were better so he was in the offensive zone more; therefore, had more opportunities to do things that impress people (shoot the puck, a goal scored and he's on the ice, etc) and less opportunities to do to things you would frown upon (giveaways in dzone, run around getting shots against, a goal against scored and he's on the ice, etc.).

This is the thing with usage: it doesn't just impact statistics, but also perception of player performance.

It seems as though Thorburn is playing better, but in reality he's just playing with better.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I actually thought Chiarot was really strong last night. Maybe his best game of the season.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He let up on a hit on a Sedin? Would it have been a legal hit regardless? I don't get why we'd want him to let up...

It likely would have been borderline as the puck had left Sedins stick & Buff being so big would have possibly been called.
However I was 100% sure he let him off the hook.
A lot of other guys Buff still would have wall papered them

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
It likely would have been borderline as the puck had left Sedins stick & Buff being so big would have possibly been called.
However I was 100% sure he let him off the hook.
A lot of other guys Buff still would have wall papered them

Buff seems to revel in hitting top talent though, unless the guy is minuscule

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agreed.

Thorbs is looking awful now, regardless of who he plays with. He looks slow and incapable of making a play with the puck. Not much different than before, but maybe more obvious now that the Jets seem to have a lot more quick players that he can play with.

In a perfect world Lemieux would be taking his spot next year, but he'll still be there chugging along, waiting for an injury to resurrect as third line jesus.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed ps241. Especially regarding the duck. ;)

For all Maurice's virtues as a coach, I think he may occasionally be too rigid in his approach to how the game should be played.

While there are advantages to a rigid structure, it can also cause you to make poor decisions on players who fall outside the mould you envision for your team.

I hope Postma makes a strong enough case for himself that he becomes impossible to ignore, and forces Maurice to reconsider his D roster choices.

He did just that last year starting the season on the 3rd pair, playing not just well but very well. Eventually had 2 less than great games. Was sent to the PB for an insane length of time. Finally got a chance and was 1st star of the game but was injured. When he recovered it was straight back to the PB. It was just ridiculous. I was very surprised he signed with the Jets again. He would probably have been better off going elsewhere on a PTO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed.

Last year and again this year Thor has been guilty of some good play. Relative to his standards. His overall level of play is not up to minimum standards though. In the past he has been 'good' on the 4th line because he could keep up with Slater and Peluso. With quicker players starting to appear on our 4th line and even more so on our 3rd line his shortcomings stand out even more.

Additionally he is 32, soon to be 33. The lower the skill level at a player's peak the sooner he ages out. If he has lost just a bit of quickness it has been fatal to his NHL hockey ability. Even though he may be able to eventually reach the same top speed he had in the past his quickness is down. I think he has passed his best before date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad