Post-Game Talk: 49 shots; 2 goals - Jets win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I must be the only one but the thing I'm most impressed with is Postma's play.
I'm starting to dislike Maurice more and more for not playing him more before Stuart's injury.

I've noticed, I'm already too mad at Maurice for not playing him more when Stu was healthy to dislike him more.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Postma is not physical enough and isn't very good behind his blueline..............not as bad as Stu behind the line though.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think I've seen so many angry people after a win.

Petan was bad at the start of the year.... that was compared to our other bad players.... in fact petan was making them worse. He got PP time he did nothing with and couldn't control the play against 4th liners regardless of who he played with. He went to the A and cleaned up his game and now he is getting a chance with better players due to injury.

Fact is next year Petan will have to be better than at least 3 of Scheif, Ehlers, Wheeler, Little, MP, Connor, Stafford and whoever we draft this year to play in the top 6 and with other elite players. He still has Burmi, Armia, Lowry, Copp and Dano to beat out of a job just to make the 3rd line too... this forward group will be pretty deep

Otherwise he will have to play on the 3rd line with 3rd liners and produce in some way or go back to the AHL....

I'm not sure why people get so offended when Petans short comings or struggles are talked about.

He doesn't make my top 6 next year...

The only thing Pav can teach a young goalie is how to give up back breaking goals in the last minute, consistently stop less pucks than other goalies in the league and throwing your team under the bus.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We really needed a loss today but how do you not beat that Vancouver team? Were the Sedins invisible today or did I just forget seeing them?

I'm PO'ed at Vancouver. Beat up as we are they didn't even try.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
We really needed a loss today but how do you not beat that Vancouver team? Were the Sedins invisible today or did I just forget seeing them?

I'm PO'ed at Vancouver. Beat up as we are they didn't even try.

Sedins were not bad today, they did the best they could, only time Canucks spent sustained time in the Jets zone other than the PP was when they were on ice

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Man, why couldn't we lose? Then people would just go back to blaming Pavs...it would be cut and dried. Instead Pavs pulls a shutout and we have long detracted arguments...

We lost that tank battle.
vectortanks02.jpg

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Man, why couldn't we lose? Then people would just go back to blaming Pavs...it would be cut and dried. Instead Pavs pulls a shutout and we have long detracted arguments...

I think that's what I like the least about the win. I don't care if it's bad for the tank, rather it makes Pavs look "good".

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
[mod]

You're right. Unbelievable coincidence the exact same thing happened to Ehlers and Petan I guess.

Two players look better playing with 1st liners instead of 4th liners? Doesn't really seem like a coincidence. But to think they were as good now as they were to start? That's not true and it's silly to think so. Petan has come miles since his stint playing in the AHL and while Ehlers would have likely been successful on the top line, he also likely wasn't the best choice not was he ready for the extra responsibility going up against top lines. Players don't just step in and just "get it" from the get go. There is a learning curve for everyone that takes time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Petan played good on the #1 line but put any half decent rookie on the #1 line and they look good.
Here's the problem there can only be 3 players on the #1 line do you want Elhers or Petan or Dano.
You can tell how good a rookie is by playing him with crappy players.
I remember the old days with the Oilers when ever Sather wanted to trade a player he build up his stock ... he put him on a line with Gretkzy and Kurri.

Hyuk! This is classic stuff. I still have nightmares about Kurri-Gretzky. 75% of the time they beat us 8-5 but now and then we'd surprise them with a similar result.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario

Petan was bad at the start of the year.... that was compared to our other bad players.... in fact petan was making them worse. He got PP time he did nothing with and couldn't control the play against 4th liners regardless of who he played with. He went to the A and cleaned up his game and now he is getting a chance with better players due to injury.

Fact is next year Petan will have to be better than at least 3 of Scheif, Ehlers, Wheeler, Little, MP, Connor, Stafford and whoever we draft this year to play in the top 6 and with other elite players. He still has Burmi, Armia, Lowry, Copp and Dano to beat out of a job just to make the 3rd line too... this forward group will be pretty deep

Otherwise he will have to play on the 3rd line with 3rd liners and produce in some way or go back to the AHL....

I'm not sure why people get so offended when Petans short comings or struggles are talked about.

The only thing Pav can teach a young goalie is how to give up back breaking goals in the last minute, consistently stop less pucks than other goalies in the league and throwing your team under the bus.

Next year is going to be a huge mess and it is going to be fun/ exciting times. Provided we don't make any trades this summer. We are going to see the likes of Armia, Dano, Petan, De Leo, Kosmachuck, Copp, Maybe Connor, and maybe a guy like Mathews/ Laine fighting for just a few spots. Which also brings up the question for management on what to do with Stafford/ Perreault/ Burmi/ Thorburn. Maybe even Little

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Even over Stafford?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
With Petan, I think it's both.

I think he had some issues but I also think people under appreciate the impact linemates have, even with what you see when you watch a player.

Better linemates means more opportunity to make more positive plays you will remember. Your team has the puck more. You will be in the offensive zone more. You will have viable pass options in pressure situations. Etc.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Postma's stats are incredible so far this year.

Best % in Corsi, Fenwick, Shots, and scoring chances for all of the Jets D-men.

The guy is flawed but he's probably one of the better 3rd pair dmen in the league.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Postma is not physical enough and isn't very good behind his blueline..............not as bad as Stu behind the line though.

Not physical enough? I dislike this notion.

It's a forest/trees thing.

Things like physicality is just one of the many inputs that combine to make a player as effective as they are/aren't. You want these inputs only to produce good outputs. They are a means to an ends. They are good for explaining why a player is or isn't effective and where they can become even more effective.

But, when you have a player that garners positive results despite being underwhelming in a particular area, they are merely making up for it and more elsewhere.

That said, I thought Postma was a bit more physical today.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Next year is going to be a huge mess and it is going to be fun/ exciting times. Provided we don't make any trades this summer. We are going to see the likes of Armia, Dano, Petan, De Leo, Kosmachuck, Copp, Maybe Connor, and maybe a guy like Mathews/ Laine fighting for just a few spots. Which also brings up the question for management on what to do with Stafford/ Perreault/ Burmi/ Thorburn. Maybe even Little

First thing is cut Thorburn.
Second keep Perreault thats a no brainer.
Burmi is playing some good hockey lately if you can get something good like a good LHD trade him if not keep him. He's finally coming around.
Stafford and Little are good vets to keep.
All the rookies I would rotate ... never have more than 2 in the lineup. Whoever has a bad game sit him the next game.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
First thing is cut Thorburn.
Second keep Perreault thats a no brainer.
Burmi is playing some good hockey lately if you can get something good like a good LHD trade him if not keep him. He's finally coming around.
Stafford and Little are good vets to keep.
All the rookies I would rotate ... never have more than 2 in the lineup. Whoever has a bad game sit him the next game.

Agree with Perreault.
I'm mixed on the Burmi.
I would keep Little. Staff should be shopped.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Unreal listening to TSN 1290 now. Trevor Kidd has literally no reasonable answer for me anymore. It's like listening to a homer sound off with no reason.

edit: Now he's making the case that we should pay pavelec nearly 5 million to talk to Hellebuyck between whistles and tv time outs. So stupid.

I never listen to the post game call in show because it makes me so stupid I forget how to get home in my car and have to stop and take the bus.

That being said I actually caught that bit and couldn't believe what I was listening to? The upside is the guy calling in from Calgary right before to make a case to buy out Pavs absolutely nailed it and he was the first caller I have heard that made any sense on that show (although my sample size is micro).

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Postma's stats are incredible so far this year.

Best % in Corsi, Fenwick, Shots, and scoring chances for all of the Jets D-men.

The guy is flawed but he's probably one of the better 3rd pair dmen in the league.

Good to know. Even though I like Maurice, I find his approach to Postma baffling. I wonder if perhaps Postma doesn't conform to Maurice's game plan and instructions for "rookie" players. And that's why he doesn't see any ice time (except in emergencies ). Except what Postma does do, despite not being what Mo asks, just happens to be quite effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad