Post-Game Talk: 46 Wins, baby!! 4:3 Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
That was a complete game by Marner.

Before I head off to get some work done, there's something I just want to mention. I loathe the way the Leafs defend empty net situations. Not only do we often put a pairing of Hainsey and Polak out there, which is pretty much a guarantee that the best we can hope for is an icing, but we are probably the most passive team in the league tactically.

Example situation from this game: The puck goes to the board, and Brown is first to the puck. It's an easy chip past the the pinching d-man, and that's what Brown does. My issue there is Matthews. He is the next guy to the puck, if he just actually tried to go get it. Instead he looks over his shoulder and takes up a passive defensive position in the high slot, and we get pressure against the net and a 4-3 goal instead of icing the affair.

There's no better way to defend against a late push than making sure the wind goes out of their sails completely with an empty netter. But not only that, we are so passive that it often becomes these pressure situations where you just hope that things go well.

I try to watch as much of other teams as I can, and to me there's a clear correlation between teams that try to ice the game with an empty netter and how they handle late pressure.

Interesting take that I agree with...one other noticeable, and somewhat odd (call it comical if you want, from a armchair perspective) anecdote I've noticed in our team's ability to defend empty net scenarios is that other teams have guys that won't hesitate to start sprawling/laying on the ice once the puck gets loose around the net. Funny enough, the sprawl is very effective....not only is there a good chance that you block a shot, or disrupt a pass....but it closes off a shooting/passing lane completely and more often than not, the guy sprawling still has an active stick and is a general nuisance around the surrounding area. Worst case, most offenses have to reset altogether.

The Canucks, Ducks, Vegas are a good example of this.....even the Jets to a certain extent (happens that these are my west coast teams I watch). It's probably personnel more than anything but we really don't have a forward or D that will lay down to disrupt a blocking or shooting lane. Dermott has tight gaps, and I've seen him to do it on rare occasion (Rielly as well in a odd man rush situation)....but none of these guys have developed that as part of their game.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Can we talk about the Polak slashing penalty that the Panthers player shook his hand on that didn’t hit his hand?

Fine his ***

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
No team in NHL history has ever missed the playoffs with 97 points, it sure isn't going to happen with 99 points.

Clinched now or Friday, it makes no difference.

Oh I know. Trust me I know. I was trying to talk down other folks in a different thread who were still concerned about the Panthers. It is still not 'official' though. As Mirtle said in his tweet, the scenarios for the Leafs to miss are absurdly complex.

Really the only way for the Leafs to miss are for the Leafs to not get another point and for all five of NJ, Philly, Columbus, Pittsburgh and Florida to more or less run the table. (And Florida to do it with at least 4 non-SO wins)

I say all 5, because if NJ and Philly run the table, then the Leafs still make it as Pittsburgh or Columbus would be the odd team out.

The Leafs are essentially clinched, but there is still some crazy mathematical way they can not make it.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I believe Plekanec is quietly roaring back

I watch a few games here and there in London whenever I go for work there. It's always fun to catch a few games with people who knows hockey.

I had watched him quite a bit for 2 seasons in London with more focus as he was the guy and not Domi and others. He always had it in him, it was just about adjusting to play against bigger, heavier opponents and now that he does he looks fantastic.

Even my avatar is Marner's too bad it doesn't change anymore.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I'll never understand why there'd be any Leafs fan who doesn't love Kadri slotting in as our #2C. Do they not remember what our center depth used to look like?
I'm still of the opinion it would be better if we could get a 2C that would work better with Marner and let Kadri be the 3C shutdown man, but he's not terrible as a 2C.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
From Slap Shot the movie soundtrack:

Really dislike this song. It's highly wussified, not really worthy of an NHL teams theme imo.

It gets stuck in my head Everytime we win, not cool Shanny, not cool.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I'm still of the opinion it would be better if we could get a 2C that would work better with Marner and let Kadri be the 3C shutdown man, but he's not terrible as a 2C.

Next season:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown

Strong balanced lines while shedding some cap

Reactions: Nifty Willy

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
That was a complete game by Marner.

Before I head off to get some work done, there's something I just want to mention. I loathe the way the Leafs defend empty net situations. Not only do we often put a pairing of Hainsey and Polak out there, which is pretty much a guarantee that the best we can hope for is an icing, but we are probably the most passive team in the league tactically.

Example situation from this game: The puck goes to the board, and Brown is first to the puck. It's an easy chip past the the pinching d-man, and that's what Brown does. My issue there is Matthews. He is the next guy to the puck, if he just actually tried to go get it. Instead he looks over his shoulder and takes up a passive defensive position in the high slot, and we get pressure against the net and a 4-3 goal instead of icing the affair.

There's no better way to defend against a late push than making sure the wind goes out of their sails completely with an empty netter. But not only that, we are so passive that it often becomes these pressure situations where you just hope that things go well.

I try to watch as much of other teams as I can, and to me there's a clear correlation between teams that try to ice the game with an empty netter and how they handle late pressure.

We play better 4v5 than 5v6 which is the opposite of what you'd expect

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We did our part to secure a clinch (COME ON AVS!)

New Home Wins record
New wins record
Andy ties goalie wins record

Why the Leafs like making things so drama is beyond me, but it's okay. We won.
Nice to be on the positive side of setting records. That's awesome to see.
Leafs are always drama Daisy lol.
Now the season is dragging on, I want playoffs to start.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Pittsburgh and Edmonton are probably the only teams in the league that have two better centers than Kadri
and yet people still complain. Kadri is SUCH a steal at what we are paying him, ROR light at a fraction of the price.
Buffalo with Eichel and ROR actually are pretty close to us too, Matthews better than Eichel, ROR better than Kadri.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Rielly 1 point shy of 50, while missing a handful of games.

Who was our last 50pt dman? Kaberle? It's been a while.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can we talk about the Polak slashing penalty that the Panthers player shook his hand on that didn’t hit his hand?

Fine his ***

Still a slash at the hands and a penalty IMO. Wouldn't like opponents slashing Matthews, Marner and Nylander like that. Eventually one will break a finger or wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad