Post-Game Talk: 46 Wins, baby!! 4:3 Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
That's an odd comment given that the tied game (and single point) is a throwback to a bygone era and "participation ribbons" are definitely not.

Single point for losing is fairly recent in hockey’s history

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
DZda94fW4AEZsNo.jpg

cool picture

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Boys. We’re in. We’ve waited for this forever. We’re the most loyal fan base in the f***ing world and we stand witness forever. Let’s f***ing give our opponents hell. We’re the f***ing Toronto Maple Leafs baby, many people hate us and everyone wants to be us. It’s go time baby. GO LEAFS GO!!!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Single point for losing is fairly recent in hockey’s history

Well I suppose we could go back and forth all day, but I doubt you will change my mind and, having been here a while, I know with a great degree of confidence I will not change yours.

I will continue to believe that a tied score after 60 minutes of "regular" hockey is worth a point, and if the NHL wants to add gimmicks to award bonus points beyond that, so be it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
A team winning in OT isn’t a draw. In non gimmick sports we don’t see a winner and a draw awarded as the outcome of a game.
Doesn't soccer award points in the shootout? I don't follow closely, but I thought they did.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well I suppose we could go back and forth all day, but I doubt you will change my mind and, having been here a while, I know with a great degree of confidence I will not change yours.

I will continue to believe that a tied score after 60 minutes of "regular" hockey is worth a point, and if the NHL wants to add gimmicks to award bonus points beyond that, so be it.
I'd rather see straight ties than taking away a point after 60 minutes of tied hockey and dramatic (non-historic) rule changes.

Reactions: egd27

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

That’s fine.

Just note that the NHL and it’s marketing crew opted to officially call it at an OTL - overtime loss.

I don’t see many people venturing into PGT when they win calling them “Bonus wins” or something of the sort.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That’s fine.

Just note that the NHL and it’s marketing crew opted to officially call it at an OTL - overtime loss.

I don’t see many people venturing into PGT when they win calling them “Bonus wins” or something of the sort.
You haven't seen the many "coin flip" comments everytime there's a shootout win?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Doesn't soccer award points in the shootout? I don't follow closely, but I thought they did.

No.

They decide results via shootout in some games... usually playoff or championship ones.

For all other games you either win, draw or lose even in extra time. 3 for a win. 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No.

They decide results via shootout in some games... usually playoff or championship ones.

For all other games you either win, draw or lose even in extra time. 3 for a win. 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss
Fair enough, like I said I don't follow that closely.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You haven't seen the many "coin flip" comments everytime there's a shootout win?

I’ve seen more “Leafs set franchise record for wins” comments. Don’t see many asterisks for the 7 shoot out wins that contributed to that

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I’ve seen more “Leafs set franchise record for wins” comments. Don’t see many asterisks for the 7 shoot out wins that contributed to that

Completely agree with that. Any shoot out win should not qualify toward historic "win records"

Reactions: Pookie

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm hoping most know that played a big part in it, especially since we saw many comments in the PGT of those wins.

The OTW/SOW are a much bigger factor than the OTL since those would have been ties historically.

Here's how I see it - we just set a franchise record for wins in a season where we won't have home ice. It's nice to set that record, but the whole point of a great record is for good playoff seeding. I'd throw an asterisk beside it without question.

Reactions: Pookie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad