Post-Game Talk: 46 Wins, baby!! 4:3 Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
loser point:rolleyes: dumbest expression the media ever came up with

1 point has been awarded since the very first tie, even when the league went to regular season OT it was awarded, the thought being that if you earned a tie in regulation you need to be rewarded...you could by rights call the shoot-out point the bonus point

Well.... yes they have given points for ties.

But they choose to play extra minutes and give a W to the winner. So by logic you have a loser. Unless a Tie(r) and a Bonus Tie(r) is the language we want to use?

MLB and NBA end games in ties. They then play till there is a winner. And they have a loser.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

But they choose to play extra minutes and give a W to the winner. So by logic you have a loser. Unless a Tie(r) and a Bonus Tie(r) is the language we want to use?

MLB and NBA end games in ties. They then play till there is a winner. And they have a loser.

don't care as this is not MLB or the NBA, and because they do it doesn't mean it has to be done this way, and I would bet that if MLBPA had a choice, no game would ever go beyond 12 innings, I'm sure MLB managers just love going past the 10th and screwing up their pitching staff and of course nothing says great baseball like bringing in a utility infielder to throw strikes and balls....

Regulation tie is a tie is a tie is a tie.....the NHL added the 5 minute OT, primarily to scoop up a little extra cash from advertisers and to add a little spice to the races, as a guy who played a little, playing a team that might be a whole lot better then you to a 3-3 standstill in regulation is worthy of reward

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
don't care as this is not MLB or the NBA, and because they do it doesn't mean it has to be done this way, and I would bet that if MLBPA had a choice, no game would ever go beyond 12 innings, I'm sure MLB managers just love going past the 10th and screwing up their pitching staff and of course nothing says great baseball like bringing in a utility infielder to throw strikes and balls....

Regulation tie is a tie is a tie is a tie.....the NHL added the 5 minute OT, primarily to scoop up a little extra cash from advertisers and to add a little spice to the races, as a guy who played a little, playing a team that might be a whole lot better then you to a 3-3 standstill in regulation is worthy of reward

But it used to be in the nhl that if you lost in overtime, you didn’t get any point at all. So when they changed the rule to still awarding a point to the losing team, it was very appropriately called the loser point.

The loser point was added for two reasons...
1. Teams were playing too boring and defensively in OT. They were playing more to keep their point, than to try and get an extra point.
2. It creates more parity. A lousy team may have an extra 10 or so loser points, which keeps them hanging on in the wild card race longer into the season (holding fans interests longer).

Reactions: hotpaws and Pookie

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
But it used to be in the nhl that if you lost in overtime, you didn’t get any point at all. So when they changed the rule to still awarding a point to the losing team, it was very appropriately called the loser point.

The loser point was added for two reasons...
1. Teams were playing too boring and defensively in OT. They were playing more to keep their point, than to try and get an extra point.
2. It creates more parity. A lousy team may have an extra 10 or so loser points, which keeps them hanging on in the wild card race longer into the season (holding fans interests longer).

I believe you're incorrect, taking any game into ot was a guaranteed point, if a team won in ot then they recieved a bonus point and a W

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

So we have a winner, a loser, a tie(r) and a bonus tie(r).

And some folks wonder why the NHL is considered a bush league on the NA sports front.

We can’t even make the outcome of a game simple let alone figure out goaltender interference.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
New Home Wins record
New wins record
Andy ties goalie wins record
Leafs win!

Hit 99 points!

Has the wins record, now its onto the points record
4QKQPK.png

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
i don't get why people have issues with it. it's a catchy tune.
if you don't like it -turn it off after the horn and you don't have to hear it. like crap.
Song was probably Romanuk’s idea.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
well then stop watching 5 seconds before. and you don't have to deal with any of it.

So 19:55 turn it off?

Seems like an easier solution is to petition the team to do away with the goal horn.... and reopen Maple Leaf Gardens and move the team back there.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Loosing to scrub teams like Buffalo doesn't help our cause either ! :shakehead
Did you watch the game? We played amazing to start, their goalie and Eichel were playing like it was game 7 of the SCF. We had a glorious amount of chances, a tonne of missed shots, and incredibly unlucky to not get at least 5-6 goals. Sometimes that's how she goes.

Like @Daisy Jane has mentioned in threads, our guys seem "bored" and not "challenged" with them waiting for the playoffs to play a team that can challenge them. At least that's how I see it. We seem to play our best when the team feels like the opposing team might be better or on our level.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Did you watch the game? We played amazing to start, their goalie and Eichel were playing like it was game 7 of the SCF. We had a glorious amount of chances, a tonne of missed shots, and incredibly unlucky to not get at least 5-6 goals. Sometimes that's how she goes.

Like @Daisy Jane has mentioned in threads, our guys seem "bored" and not "challenged" with them waiting for the playoffs to play a team that can challenge them. At least that's how I see it. We seem to play our best when the team feels like the opposing team might be better or on our level.

Further... the goal is not getting hurt. That’s it. Whatever happens now... aside from injury... has no impact on who and how we play in round 1

Reactions: MattySnipes

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Further... the goal is not getting hurt. That’s it. Whatever happens now... aside from injury... has no impact on who and how we play in round 1

exactly. like it's not the most ideal, but i think basically the goal is to work on some things you wannawork on and not get hurt. once we get our X (and secure the third place) i bet quite frankly you'll see a bit more lazy sloppy play in order not to get hurt

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marleau is worth every penny. If he can repeat this again next season, I'll consider this signing a success.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Said it before and will say it again........MLB and NBA don't change the rules of the game in OT in order to determine a winner. The NHL does, not once, but twice.

It's a tied hockey game, and then an extra point for whoever wins the shinny match or shoot out. No one lost the actual hockey game.

Reactions: therealkoho

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Marleau is worth every penny. If he can repeat this again next season, I'll consider this signing a success.

There is no reason to think he won't. Marleau hasn't lost a step, doesn't miss games, and gets 20-25 goals year after year after year AND is playing with Marner. I can comfortably say that what we are getting this season from Marleau we will get next season as well.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Said it before and will say it again........MLB and NBA don't change the rules of the game in OT in order to determine a winner. The NHL does, not once, but twice.

It's a tied hockey game, and then an extra point for whoever wins the shinny match or shoot out. No one lost the actual hockey game.

Anyone else picturing the MLB 'solving' a tie game with a HR derby?

God the shootout is a travesty.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Participation ribbons for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->