GDT: #41| New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils | January 9th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
...i'd like to see a little more offense being created but they aren't giving up very much especially at five on five as far as defense goes...when was the last time they gave up more than 25 shots in a game?… I can't even remember.

Playing the Devils in Jersey, you always know they're gonna play the boring swamp style. It's hard to generate offense against that.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Agreed, but tonight, I thought he was great.

Definitely better. Even so, my fear is that this is a team built to have a good regular season and that's about it. No defensive depth, a poor PP, mediocre PK, and (though I can't measure this, so you may not think it's legitimate) a very emotional nature.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
A typical game in Jersey. They're rarely fun to watch.

Very, very important that JT made his mark on this game and, in general, in a game like this.

He needs to do that as he continues to grow into his role as the face of this team.

Don't see either Grabner or Grabovski having any chemistry with, well, anyone on this team.

The reason for Grabner is a bit logical at the moment, but I'm saddened by Grabovski really not finding any type of role or spot where he can be an 'impact' player.

Then again, it doesn't really surprise me. Kind of expected it this summer.

Two points though - VERY important after the stinker in Edmonton and the unnecessary loss in Vancouver.

Grabovski's scoring well at ES (for the minutes he's getting), and if not for JT's monster night last, he (Grabovski) might have had a higher ES scoring pace than JT.

I've said this before, Grabovski's used to being a more premier forward on a team and is adjusting to a new role on the Islanders where he essentially getting no powerplay time. I'm sure he doesn't mind though. The team is winning, he's getting paid, and he's with his buddy.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...=19&type=individual&sort=ipoints&sortdir=DESC

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Definitely better. Even so, my fear is that this is a team built to have a good regular season and that's about it. No defensive depth, a poor PP, mediocre PK, and (though I can't measure this, so you may not think it's legitimate) a very emotional nature.

That was my expectation. A team that would make the playoffs and win a round, maybe two rounds. And I was fine with that considering the depths the Islanders have been seen at over the last 2 decades.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Rome was not built in a day, and we were more than 6 players away from being a deep playoff contender. Our depth at goalie depends on getting someone other than Halak out there for at least 1 out of 4 starts, then cross your fingers and toes during the playoffs(Halak has a playoff history akin to Nabby). I think we have the pieces for a better power play and penalty kill, whether or not our brain trust figures this out in the next 40 games is a good question. There are two sides to the emotional intensity, JT uses it to raise his level of play at times.
I just hope the new owners want more than this. Wang blew it when he did nothing after making his splash signings.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
That was my expectation. A team that would make the playoffs and win a round, maybe two rounds. And I was fine with that considering the depths the Islanders have been seen at over the last 2 decades.

Winning two rounds (or even one round!) vs. a first round elimination is a HUGE difference to me. A first round exit shouldn't cut it. This was a playoff team two years ago. I've seen them go out in the first round six times since 1994 and it's not good enough anymore. If this is really a different team, win a round and prove it. I don't disagree with the implication that this is the beginning, not the ending, but the way they've played recently makes me wonder if they haven't been playing over their heads before this stretch. And if you're more even keeled than I am and think that's over the top, I can't blame you.

Rome was not built in a day, and we were more than 6 players away from being a deep playoff contender. Our depth at goalie depends on getting someone other than Halak out there for at least 1 out of 4 starts, then cross your fingers and toes during the playoffs(Halak has a playoff history akin to Nabby). I think we have the pieces for a better power play and penalty kill, whether or not our brain trust figures this out in the next 40 games is a good question. There are two sides to the emotional intensity, JT uses it to raise his level of play at times.
I just hope the new owners want more than this. Wang blew it when he did nothing after making his splash signings.

JT also uses it to take stupid penalties and whine to the refs. I'd love to see him get even more often than he gets mad. Minor criticism though.

I agree with everything else. I don't think I'm impatient because I've been rooting for a bad team for so long; it's more that I can't take the stress of this not being the real deal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Winning two rounds (or even one round!) vs. a first round elimination is a HUGE difference to me. A first round exit shouldn't cut it. This was a playoff team two years ago. I've seen them go out in the first round six times since 1994 and it's not good enough anymore. If this is really a different team, win a round and prove it. I don't disagree with the implication that this is the beginning, not the ending, but the way they've played recently makes me wonder if they haven't been playing over their heads before this stretch. And if you're more even keeled than I am and think that's over the top, I can't blame you.

I write the last bit of turbulence off to the middle of our second extended road trip, the dog days of a long season and growing pains for a team that has never really competed for anything nor been the team that was being chased in the standings. It's a learning experience for the players and the coaches. BTW, look at the schedule for February...15 games in 28 days. :eek:

I don't think anybody has really been playing over their heads. I think this team is playing to what they're capable of, if not underperforming at times. What we have witnessed so far is the continuing of the maturation process of guys like Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson and and Anders Lee being supplemented by the additions of Nick Leddy, Johnny Boychuk and Jaro Halak. It has helped increase our depth and taken the pressure off Tavares to provide the bulk of the scoring and asking Halak to stand on his head to get us wins.

I've been enjoying the ride so far and I don't think getting through the second round of the playoffs is out of the question for this team.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Thought JT was the best player on the ice last night. No silly turnover/drop or blind passes and contributed on the score sheet. I thought Grabner was noticeable....it seemed to me that he was just missed with a few passes that would have sprung him. Overall not a great performance but IMO we dominated the 1st period and couldn't put one in the net...we'll get there. Nelson, Strome and Lee IMO are less noticeable on separate lines.....onward and upward....lets get 2 points tonight and we are back on track with a big game against the Rag$ coming up.

BroadwayJay*

I don't think I'm impatient because I've been rooting for a bad team for so long; it's more that I can't take the stress of this not being the real deal.

PSA: We no longer root for a bad team.

7drHiqr.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad