GDT: #41| New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils | January 9th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks, so no clear crushing hit that took him out, good to hear, hopefully just tweaked something minor.

I think I read on LHH that Grabovski took a shot to the foot and went to the locker room. Returned for the 2nd period for a little while before he was shut down the rest of the way. Doesn't seem like a serious injury.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
I wasn't happy with the game until the win because we were either trailing or tied the entire game until JT's winner. But, this game was nothing like the previous two games. We laid eggs in both EDM and VAN. I wouldn't say that we played well like we have recently (around the recent losses, and including some of the earlier losses and, obviously, wins), but we played a solid game. I am discouraged because I don't think the Devils are a very good team right now. I am encouraged because WE WON!

Good to hear it wasn't like the previous two, because it sure sounded like it was from the audio broadcast, Didn't here much buzz from the middle lines at all, and not crazy about them line compositions.

As iLandher indicated, I agree that Bailey has proven himself to be the first line LW for now, there seems to be something cohesive when he's inserted. Okposo needs to get pissed again and play with some grit like he did in the playoffs two years ago, waiting for that beast mode to kick in.

I still want to see Grabo centering the second line when he gets back, it just makes too much sense at this point, as he is not cutting it at wing. If you want to put Nielsen at wing and throw the kid line back together with Nelson centering, I can live with that.

Bailey - JT- Okposo
Nielsen - Grabo - Kulemin
Lee/Grabner - Nelson- Strome
Martin - Cizikas - Clutter

Do it Cappy!!!!

Last edited:

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
What a game. An absolute snoozer for the first period and a half, but my oh my, what an ending. Win tomorrow and go into MSG oh mannnnn! This is exciting.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
...am I the only one who noticed Hamonic getting his stick whacked out of his hand ala Paul Bunyan to make the game 1-0 Devils? That directly led to the first goal and no one seems to be talking about it. If that's not a slashing penalty, they should never, ever call it again...

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Good to hear it wasn't like the previous two, because it sure sounded like it was from the audio broadcast, Didn't here much buzz from the middle lines at all, and not crazy about them line compositions.

As iLandher indicated, I agree that Bailey has proven himself to be the first line LW for now, there seems to be something cohesive when he's inserted. Okposo needs to get pissed again and play with some grit like he did in the playoffs two years ago, waiting for that beast mode to kick in.

I still want to see Grabo centering the second line when he gets back, it just makes too much sense at this point, as he is not cutting it at wing. if you want to put Nielsen at wing and throw the kid line back together with Nelson centering, I can live with that.

I agree with all of your points. Okposo really needs a spark lit under his ass, it doesn't help that he is very snake bitten shooting at just 6.1%, which is far below his career average.

I wouldn't mind seeing Strome at center, his vision is top notch as is his passing ability. Put the kid line back together, and let Strome center the line, he isn't big but he is very good defensively, and Nelson is better in the corners.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
...am I the only one who noticed Hamonic getting his stick whacked out of his hand in the spirit of Paul Bunyan? That directly led to the first goal and no one seems to be talking about it. If that's not a slashing penalty, they should never, ever call it again...

I noticed but i thought i was drunk and thought i saw something that didn't happen. Some penalties are still not called and I still dont know why.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
LOL love how polite hockey players are even when talking about fights. listening to Martin saying he was talking to Fraser before game and that he told Martin he had not had a fight yet this year would he be interested.. Almost sounds like they are talking about tea and scones…

I was cracking up watching that. He was so giddy and innocent talking about that, like he was going on a date or something.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
I'm happy JT performed so brilliantly, but this was not a confidence builder for me. The last three games have been played by a sloppy team sleepwalking through whole periods. The Oilers and Devils are not particularly good teams, but one beat us and the other took us to overtime (again).

I can't get worked up about Halak's mistakes because his excellent play kept it close. de Haan has been average and Hickey subpar recently. Our best defensemen are Viz, Hamonic, Leddy, and Boychuk, and when any one of them is missing, we don't look like the same team. Whether you want to think of it as upgrading Hickey or accepting that Viz is a constant injury risk (more the camp I'm in), the team's biggest need is top six defenseman.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Saw the game at a bar here in the city tn. Only thing better than jts overtime goal was watching him do the yes yes with his arms and clearly shouting it too. I love this team

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
I'm happy JT performed so brilliantly, but this was not a confidence builder for me. The last three games have been played by a sloppy team sleepwalking through whole periods. The Oilers and Devils are not particularly good teams, but one beat us and the other took us to overtime (again).

I can't get worked up about Halak's mistakes because his excellent play kept it close. de Haan has been average and Hickey subpar recently. Our best defensemen are Viz, Hamonic, Leddy, and Boychuk, and when any one of them is missing, we don't look like the same team. Whether you want to think of it as upgrading Hickey or accepting that Viz is a constant injury risk (more the camp I'm in), the team's biggest need is top six defenseman.

Agreed, but tonight, I thought he was great.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
for everyone still referring to the losses to EDM and VAN- i agree, the isles played poorly. but this is a good, solid, team. its been 41 games, and we are in 1st place (yes we have games in hand)

but....EDM just killed the blackhawks 5-2. maybe we just caught them at the wrong time? the sky is not falling, and we have 27 wins....who would not have signed up for this 6 months ago?

the devils are not great, but they are an NHL team, we won, albeit in OT. bottom line, we came away w 2 pts.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The audition for the top line LW should be over now, and it needs to go to Bailey for the next stretch. Grabovski goes down and he slides right in like nothing happened. Scored a goal, made some great calming defensive plays, and ultimately helped set up that GWG by Tavares. Speaking of Tavares, he's been much better lately defensively and definitely has been emphasizing that portion of his game. Obviously an offensively dominant game from Tavares when we needed it most. Okposo needs to simplify again, these plays are what got him into trouble a few seasons ago.

oustanding post as usual iLandHer.

agree on all points especially the lack of timeout on the OT PP - especially since Cappy'd been using JT so much (JT had his best game all season)

I will never understand what people don't like about Bailey's game. He started on RW with Nelson and Grabner, ended up back on LW with JT, practiced on the 4th and missed last game with an injury and/or "healthy" scratch - as some suspect. He was excellent tonight and showed some really nice chemistry with Tavares - even better than KO's shown to be honest.

Grabner really sucks this year. Groins are very finicky and maybe he's afraid of re-injuring it but without explosive speed, Grabner is just useless. He's just getting back so I won't be too hard on the guy but he has sucked. Going into MSG, I'd take Clutterbuck, Martin and maybe even Boulton over Grabner! That's going to be a war!

Strait was really good tonight, I was impressed. I also question WHEN he's used but Capuano did a decent job of limiting Strait's time - though he almost messed it up with a giveaway in OT!

Leddy is a very underrated player, he's a pleasure to watch. I still pinch myself over the Boychuk, Leddy acquisitions - remarkable move by Snow. Unreal. deHaan played very well tonight too.

Lastly, 91, fantastic game. He carried the team tonight.

Brock Nelson has been very misused with Capuano trying to get other players going, like Grabo/Grabner but he's definitely in a slump. I'd also like to see the kid line back together.

The Islanders played well, they deserved the win. Jersey's goals were lucky and the Isles could have scored a lot more goals with a little luck. Strome just missed that wicked open-net deHaan feed by the net and Okposo had some gorgeous chances...Isles are a top team this year. No doubt.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
but....EDM just killed the blackhawks 5-2.

I generally hate playing teams that just had recent coaching changes because they usually seem to get new life for a short while after that.

I think the coaching change might cost the Oilers a top 2 pick

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I generally hate playing teams that just had recent coaching changes because they usually seem to get new life for a short while after that.

I think the coaching change might cost the Oilers a top 2 pick

The oilers have been playing tough teams well all year, I'm not sure any of their wins are against teams below .500

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Very good summaries by iLandHer and Redbull as usual.

When handing out compliments don't forget to include Hickey who I was worried about from his putrid last few games. He and deHaan bounced back with some solid play. Hickey on Jagr was a tough assignment, Jagr with the biggest ass in hockey is a load to handle for a smaller guy like Hickey. I liked how Hammer handled him and then he gets called for being strong.

While the team didn't look great most of the first two periods I had to consider we were playing the Devils at their place and that is where professional hockey goes to die. So much neutral zone play, so much staggering around and clearing out pucks just to clear them, no intention of breaking out in their game. They put a team (and fans) to sleep and then wait for a break.

The Devils have some size up front and use it well against a smaller Islanders team when the had it in our zone. They play that part of the game pretty well, what is now called "heavy hockey".
We are a speed and motion team, have to utilize that to overcome size differences.

Johnny T welcome back. Please stay for more than a game or two.
The net front is your home. Stay around your home.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
JT really stepped up big in the 3rd and OT. It looks like he is starting to turn the corner.

Bailey had a great game. As a poster above me said, it makes no sense why people on here are so eager to move him

Halak needs to stop channeling ghosts of Islanders goaltending past. Also one has to wonder if this is turning into a Nabby situation a few years ago when Capuano had ZERO trust in the backup. The Edmonton game or last night were clear candidates to start CJ, red flags should be going off in Snows mind. Snows coach clearly does not trust the backup and Snow needs to address that ASAP. Halaks career high is 57 games and he has a history of injuries, we should not be riding him every single game.

Strait out in overtime is a classic example of poor coaching. I don't care that we are on a road trip and that we play again tonight, it is awful coaching. The other 5 dmen are more than capable of shouldering the minuscule extra ice time for overtime

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Highlight reel game winner.
It's a good thing JT spent all that time with Moulson and parenteau and Boyes.
Taught him him if you want the puck ,Go and get it. Yes yes yes!

Was out to dinner last night, the waitress asked if I wanted fresh ground pepper
On my food.
My answer was Yes yes yes.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
oustanding post as usual iLandHer.

agree on all points especially the lack of timeout on the OT PP - especially since Cappy'd been using JT so much (JT had his best game all season)

I will never understand what people don't like about Bailey's game. He started on RW with Nelson and Grabner, ended up back on LW with JT, practiced on the 4th and missed last game with an injury and/or "healthy" scratch - as some suspect. He was excellent tonight and showed some really nice chemistry with Tavares - even better than KO's shown to be honest.

Grabner really sucks this year. Groins are very finicky and maybe he's afraid of re-injuring it but without explosive speed, Grabner is just useless. He's just getting back so I won't be too hard on the guy but he has sucked. Going into MSG, I'd take Clutterbuck, Martin and maybe even Boulton over Grabner! That's going to be a war!

Strait was really good tonight, I was impressed. I also question WHEN he's used but Capuano did a decent job of limiting Strait's time - though he almost messed it up with a giveaway in OT!

Leddy is a very underrated player, he's a pleasure to watch. I still pinch myself over the Boychuk, Leddy acquisitions - remarkable move by Snow. Unreal. deHaan played very well tonight too.

Lastly, 91, fantastic game. He carried the team tonight.

Brock Nelson has been very misused with Capuano trying to get other players going, like Grabo/Grabner but he's definitely in a slump. I'd also like to see the kid line back together.

The Islanders played well, they deserved the win. Jersey's goals were lucky and the Isles could have scored a lot more goals with a little luck. Strome just missed that wicked open-net deHaan feed by the net and Okposo had some gorgeous chances...Isles are a top team this year. No doubt.

Great post REDBULL (and iLandHer before), particularly about Strait. I have been down on him all season, but he played well tonight. There was one time where he skated the puck into the offensive zone, cut toward the slot, curled around, and fired a shot. I was thinking, "who is that?" He really was moving well and seemed to be in good position all night. Maybe, as someone in another thread speculated, the failing health of his grandmother (it was his grandmother, right?) weighed heavily on his mind and affected his play. I suppose we'll see after another few games if he has really improved or if this game was more of a fluke.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
A typical game in Jersey. They're rarely fun to watch.

Very, very important that JT made his mark on this game and, in general, in a game like this.

He needs to do that as he continues to grow into his role as the face of this team.

Don't see either Grabner or Grabovski having any chemistry with, well, anyone on this team.

The reason for Grabner is a bit logical at the moment, but I'm saddened by Grabovski really not finding any type of role or spot where he can be an 'impact' player.

Then again, it doesn't really surprise me. Kind of expected it this summer.

Two points though - VERY important after the stinker in Edmonton and the unnecessary loss in Vancouver.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
...i'd like to see a little more offense being created but they aren't giving up very much especially at five on five as far as defense goes...when was the last time they gave up more than 25 shots in a game?… I can't even remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad