GDT: #41| New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils | January 9th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

1KdQbwg.jpg

Preview

All time series record: The Islanders lead 122-89-22 with a 3.4 GFPGA While the Devils are averaging 3.0 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ New Jersey are 52-52-11 with a 3.2 GFPGA the
Devils are also averaging 3.2 GFPGA at home in the series.

1st meeting this season highlights...
http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400564271

2nd meeting this season highlights...
http://espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400564278

The longest road trip of the season for the New York Islanders has turned sour just past the halfway point.

Perhaps a return closer to home will help.

New York moves on from an up-and-down Canadian trip with a matchup against the New Jersey Devils on Friday night.

The Islanders' seven-game swing away from Long Island opened with consecutive wins against Winnipeg and Calgary, but they've since suffered back-to-back losses, including 3-2 to Vancouver on Tuesday.

A defeat Friday would match New York's longest losing streak of the season.

"I didn't think we were sharp. We didn't execute," forward Kyle Okposo said. "The last couple games, even three games, we haven't been ourselves, haven't had that same pop. We just have to find a way to get that back.

"It's not time to panic, but we just need to be better."

Despite their successful season, the Islanders (26-13-1) rank among the worst teams in the league with 9.78 giveaways per game. That problem sustained itself in the consecutive losses, as New York totaled 20 giveaways and notched its fourth-worst giveaway-to-takeaway ratio of the season Tuesday (0.33).

"The giveaways cost us the hockey game," coach Jack Capuano said. "Penalty kill was good, power play could have been better, but you can't give the puck away and it led to some gifts from their hockey club. ... We got to get back to business. We'll go over a few things and get ready for Friday night."

Michael Grabner's gradual return to full action could provide an offensive spark for the Islanders. He played just over 13 minutes Tuesday after missing nine games with a lower-body injury. The two-time 20-goal scorer has two in six contests this season and five in 17 matchups with the Devils (15-21-7).

New Jersey also enters Friday following a loss. The Devils were shut out for the sixth time Thursday, falling 3-0 at Boston, and they've averaged only 19.4 shots in their last five games.

"We got outworked for one thing for a period of time there," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "We just couldn't get anything done. You have to get shots. We didn't get shots."

The Devils have averaged 31.5 shots in two road meetings with the Islanders this season, but they've totaled three goals in going 0-1-1.

Patrik Elias has 85 points in 88 matchups with New York, his most against any team. He notched his 1,000th career point in Tuesday's 4-1 win over Buffalo and needs one goal to reach 400.

That attempt will likely come against Jaroslav Halak, who has won three of his past four matchups against the Devils with a 1.23 goals-against average.

New Jersey's Cory Schneider is 1-1-1 with a 1.31 GAA against the Islanders in his career.

New York has won four straight at the Prudential Center for its longest road win streak in the series since taking the first seven meetings in New Jersey after the Devils franchise relocated from Colorado for the 1982-83 season.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

Last edited:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I have no idea who will be in goal for the Devils and I know our lines will be changed also. Will update as I find out more.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Thanks for the early GDT MM....

Big stretch of upcoming conference games that starts tonight. I would go as far as to say the next 12 games or so are a critical point in our schedule being they are all division and conference rivals. This is a must win game where we need to come out with a solid effort for a full 60 and come away with 2 ROW points. Would like to see a statement game, to put behind the uninspiring play of the last two games, the Rags and Caps breathing down our necks, the Devs having played last night...Should be more than enough motivation for this team to show us what they are made of. Just get it done boys, and set the tone for this crucial stretch.....

Lets Go Islanders!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Tonight is more or less a "must win" game with the Rangers and Capitals breathing down their necks. I'll be there as part of the "Islanders Invasion". Hoping for a strong effort against a reeling Devils squad.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Cappy is hell-bent on keeping Nelson at center. Hope it's the right move...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Ok I'm tired of this losing crap. How about this team wins the next five!

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Coming off a few nights rest. Devs on the second half of a back to back after getting drilled by the Bruins. Not quite sure what I will do if the Isles lose this one.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
This isn't a must win but it's an important game. We gotta get back on the winning track asap. Rangers are playing awesome hockey, Caps are catching up. Our sizely division lead with the Penguins is very slim now. I like Grabo' on JT's line a lot. Been wanting to see that for a while. Let's go Isles and let's pull out a win!

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
If we dont win this game there is a good chance we will be playing the Rangers for 2nd place on Tuesday. Columbus is an almost guaranteed loss.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.

Ya, just don't get why Cappy won't at least try Grabo at center where he has played his entire career and has shown he is more than capable (54% win percentage with the Caps just last year with his draws alone). I'd prefer Nelson playing wing for now, he has not impressed at center and needs to utilize his size more along the boards.

Lets hope it at least gets that top line and Grabo going, but I would have preferred any of the below with Bailey out;

Lee -Tavares - Okposo
Nelson - Grabo - Strome
Grabner - Nielsen - Kulemin
Martin - Cizikas - Clutter

Lee -Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Grabo - Kulemin
Nelson - Nielsen - Strome

Grabner -Tavares - Okposo
Nelson - Grabo - Strome
Lee - Nielsen - Kulemin

Grabner -Tavares - Okposo
Nelson - Grabo - Kulemin
Lee - Nielsen - Strome

Nelson -Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Grabo - Kulemin
Lee - Nielsen - Strome

Nelson -Tavares - Okposo
Lee - Grabo - Strome

Nelson -Tavares - Strome
Lee - Grabo - Okposo

Nelson -Tavares - Strome
Grabner - Grabo - Okposo
Lee- Nielsen - Kulemin

Many options for wing, but stick with the 4 centers.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
This is far from a must win. A loss would obviously suck but to call this a must win is a bit extreme

Ok, maybe calling it a must win is a bit extreme, but they really need to win this one, and this is the perfect game to get things back on track. It would be extremely disappointing for them to lose this one, and raise questions about leadership on this team if they put up yet another stinker. They really need to bounce back and put up a solid effort.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Have to win tonight, I'll be heading to the game with the guys from islesnation. They Sold about 300 tickets for tonight's game so strong showing of isles fans. Let's get back on track. Let's go islanders!

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Not a must win in the tradional sense but since we are playing tomorrow and the Devil Dogs played last night, I want a convincing 60 min regulation win. No more playing up/down to the other team, play your game and wipe out the inferior teams. Failure to do that and we are most likely in 3rd or 4th place in the division by the time we face the Penguins next week.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Despite the need for a big fast winger who can score.
Nelson is as good a winger as he is a center, but he is a better winger and not as good a center as Grabovski.
Why does Cappy not see and understand that a simple switch is what is needed with those two?
If anything, this is what Cappy screws up...correct deployment.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
This is far from a must win. A loss would obviously suck but to call this a must win is a bit extreme

I agree that it is not a "MUST" win.
But it is a big game to rid the stank of two real bad ones and get confidence and momentum back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad