GDT: #41| New York Islanders @ New Jersey Devils | January 9th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

goalsniper

Mar 11, 2011
JT franchise leader with 7 OT goals. That's clutch. I know we go to OT every other night but still clutch.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
And that is where Tavares scores his goals.........from below the face-off dots. Not those prayers from above the circles.
Great snipe by him on that one, 6 hole.

Bailey, Hammer, Boychuk, Hickey, de Haan, Leddy all with good games.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
LOL love how polite hockey players are even when talking about fights. listening to Martin saying he was talking to Fraser before game and that he told Martin he had not had a fight yet this year would he be interested.. Almost sounds like they are talking about tea and scones…

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Wow...so Bailey was a healthy scratch in Van!

Yep as per Shannon, so what happened to the UBI or was it LBI.. Assume we will see Clutterbuck back tomorrow. Kulemin moves back with Nelson and Bailey on 1st line with Grabo out? Revolving door unless Grabo has to go on IR.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Another thing about Johnny, he's been a beast in the faceoff circle and for quite some time. He was over 52% the last time I checked... he should be even better than that now. It allows his puck possession style to shine which is has been for the last little while. Just need to get KO out of his funk, he's been getting leech points off JT's magic lately and he needs to pick it up. He's the drag on that line with his constant turnovers. Put Strome with JT at 5v5 and watch them beast.

I've noticed that as well; he's also really picked up his play in his own end. I remember in the EDM game and VAN game he made some plays to break out of the zone, and was actually skating instead of standing around. Totally agree on KO getting Leech points, as i seriously doubt he has as many as he does if he wasn't playing with tavares. I think Bailey-JT-Strome could really work some magic 5v5

Put okie with grabovski, and maybe two guys that can't finish will lead to a goal.....a negitive+a negative=a positive :sarcasm:

I can't believe some of you crackheads wanted to sit JT when he wasn't playing well..............."oh our best player is almost at a PPG pace, but he isn't playing very well.......lets bench him" yea great idea :help:

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Holy J ****ing T...he's been better and better lately but I think now officially, he's backkkkk. Just finished watching as I had to DVR. 2 HUGE points. Not their best game but Isles deserved to win. Thank god lol losing streak averted. Johnson better not screw us tomorrow.

1st place !

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
As I always say, yes a win is a win but let's not fool ourselves. The team needs help in the way of a first line sniper LW, backup G before Halak is run into the ground and possibly a veteran D if Viz is hurt long term.

Very important game w/CBJ, likely with Johnson. Yes may be in 1st place with 55 pts but NYR and WSH are nipping at our heels. Also Extremely important game vs. NYR Tuesday followed by PIT Friday.

The secondary scoring (Nelson, Lee, Neilsen, Strome as well as Okposo need to step up and chip in some goals).

The AS break will be welcomed to rest some of these guys, especially Halak.

1 game at a time over next 41....... don't look past any opponent whether a good, mediocre or poor team.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Happy as hell we won but the fact we didn't win outright against a bottom 10 team while the Rags blow out top 10 teams has me concerned. We have to be better..

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Boy am I glad most of you don't coach. People wanting to bench Halak in the middle of a 1 goal game for a boneheaded play on the first night of a back to back? Why would you do that? Goalies don't usually need a kick in the butt about plays like that, they don't like pucks in their net, so benching him does nothing but piss him off.

The team struggled at times tonight, but they definitely had the better of the play overall. The Devils had some great looks, but they didn't sustain a whole lot throughout the night. Jagr was ridiculously good again for them, he's just amazing to watch...and Elias had a pretty solid night as well.

The audition for the top line LW should be over now, and it needs to go to Bailey for the next stretch. Grabovski goes down and he slides right in like nothing happened. Scored a goal, made some great calming defensive plays, and ultimately helped set up that GWG by Tavares. Speaking of Tavares, he's been much better lately defensively and definitely has been emphasizing that portion of his game. Obviously an offensively dominant game from Tavares when we needed it most. Okposo needs to simplify again, these plays are what got him into trouble a few seasons ago.

Reunite the kid line please. I don't like Nielsen with Lee and Strome. Anyone else notice how little zone time they get now? Nelson compliments Lee and Strome so well, and is a bigger body than Nielsen, so they can cycle a lot better. I want sustained pressure, not transition chances from that bunch.

I know there was an injury, but I wasn't crazy about Nelson and Grabner tonight. Nelson is trying too hard and almost panicking with the puck. He moves it without looking way before he needs to. Grabner was whatever, he gets some slack since he's still just coming back.

The Cizikas bunch was fine tonight. Nice to see Martin get a fight in and win, with not breaking his hand. They seemed to have their ice time cut as the game progressed, so that's one of the few in game adjustments I'd applaud Capuano for.

Defensively we were okay. I'm not upset on the first goal, since it was the result of a lost/broken stick. It was a nice play by the Devils, what can you do? The second was atrocious by Halak, but I don't like that Butch talks about nobody being in front of the net on that play...they aren't supposed to be. One goes in front and the other goes behind Halak on the wall so he has options if he gets into trouble, unfortunately, Halak was a moron and showed no urgency to move the puck.

I liked Leddy's game, Boychuck was solid, and Hamonic did a nice job getting physical with guys. Strait was okay, but I question why he was out during OT...I hate when Capuano uses him in pivotal moments. Do we know what his family issue was?

Halak was sharp for most of this game. I'd like to see him rest tomorrow and get ready for Tuesday though.

PP, trainwreck still. PK, improved.

Capuano makes some really questionable decisions still. On the last PP, why didn't he call a time out before it started? Tavares and co. had been out on the ice for a while and then didn't start a CRITICAL powerplay to tie the game up?! Ultimately it worked out, but not because Capuano is some mastermind behind the bench.

Hope Grabovski is okay, if we need to call someone up, I hope it's Harry Z.

Bailey and Stan LOL

The end of that Stan and Bailey interview :biglaugh:

I'm very curious as to what this is all about. Damn GCL cuts that stuff off.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
Missed the game as I had to go out to dinner with my wife and her relatives who flew in from Florida, was listening through the Islander app on my S5, was disappointed from what I was hearing most of the game which sounded like yet another repeat performance until we tied it...was estatic. Glad JT pulled it out in OT.

What happened to Grabo, and what is the prognosis on his injury?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Missed the game as I had to go out to dinner with my wife and her relatives who flew in from Florida, was listening through the Islander app on my S5, was disappointed from what I was hearing most of the game which sounded like yet another repeat performance until we tied it...was estatic. Glad JT pulled it out in OT.

They said a lower body injury, but I don't think they expanded or pinpointed a time where it happened during the broadcast.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

I wasn't happy with the game until the win because we were either trailing or tied the entire game until JT's winner. But, this game was nothing like the previous two games. We laid eggs in both EDM and VAN. I wouldn't say that we played well like we have recently (around the recent losses, and including some of the earlier losses and, obviously, wins), but we played a solid game. I am discouraged because I don't think the Devils are a very good team right now. I am encouraged because WE WON!

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

Cappy has a rotating day to day injury platoon now(Bailey, clutter..), it was Grabo's turn next game so he just wanted to get a head start and told him he was hurt after the 2nd period.. :sarcasm:

seriously didn't say anything but announcers were guessing it may have been on NJ first goal since he did not come out after that.. Hope it is not serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad