Prospect Info: #4 Sam Bennett

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
I love this pick for you guys. Calgary has drafted some of my favorite prospects in the last two drafts, so I'll be rooting for you guys as one of my West teams.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Heh, you know if Calgary didn't lose it's last games and the isles didn't win theirs, Cgy wouldn't even get to steal Bennett. Looks like it was good that they didn't win the last meaningless game(s).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thats great insight! Thanks for the information.

No problem. I'm actually happy that Calgary selected him. Seems a good fit for him. And with Monahan, Backlund, and Stajan (not too familiar with what other centers you guys have in your system that are expected to be in the 2014-15 lineup) already there, there's the added bonus of not necessarily having to rush him into the NHL next year if he's not quite (physically) ready.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Heh, you know if Calgary didn't lose it's last games and the isles didn't win theirs, Cgy wouldn't even get to steal Bennett. Looks like it was good that they didn't win the last meaningless game(s).

For once. It was maddening how they dropped from - what was it, top 3 pick? - to 6th last draft due to being minimally better than a couple of other teams last season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
No problem. I'm actually happy that Calgary selected him. Seems a good fit for him. And with Monahan, Backlund, and Stajan (not too familiar with what other centers you guys have in your system that are expected to be in the 2014-15 lineup) already there, there's the added bonus of not necessarily having to rush him into the NHL next year if he's not quite (physically) ready.

I have a feeling he gets 9 games and goes back to the OHL for one more year.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I know most of this off-season's hype has been around JG but I think Bennett has every opportunity to make Calgary this year. He's not that far off from what Monahan weighed heading into his first pro season and has a style of play that we haven't seen in like, 20 years now.

It seems most of us think he'll be returned to junior, but we were basically split on Monahan's first season and where he'd end up.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I know most of this off-season's hype has been around JG but I think Bennett has every opportunity to make Calgary this year. He's not that far off from what Monahan weighed heading into his first pro season and has a style of play that we haven't seen in like, 20 years now.

It seems most of us think he'll be returned to junior, but we were basically split on Monahan's first season and where he'd end up.

Yeah, but we also didn't have a guy to take up a spot at C like Money did this year. Now we have Money, Backs, Stajan. We can afford to let him take another year in the OHL.

I think it might be good for him to be able to dominate that league for the year, go to WJC. He very well could force his way onto the team, but I think the Flames will really take their time with Bennett.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yeah, but we also didn't have a guy to take up a spot at C like Money did this year. Now we have Money, Backs, Stajan. We can afford to let him take another year in the OHL.

I think it might be good for him to be able to dominate that league for the year, go to WJC. He very well could force his way onto the team, but I think the Flames will really take their time with Bennett.

Additionally Bennett is way younger than Monahan was in his draft year, is a fair bit smaller, and sending him back to the OHL wouldn't involve sending him to basically the worst team in the league as it would have been with Monahan. Monahan's circumstances were relatively unique, in my opinion, and I doubt Bennett sticks, barring an absolutely blow-the-doors-off type of camp/9 game trial period.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Additionally Bennett is way younger than Monahan was in his draft year, is a fair bit smaller, and sending him back to the OHL wouldn't involve sending him to basically the worst team in the league as it would have been with Monahan. Monahan's circumstances were relatively unique, in my opinion, and I doubt Bennett sticks, barring an absolutely blow-the-doors-off type of camp/9 game trial period.

Yes I agree, Monahans situation was extremely unique. Highest drafted player in more than a decade, a team lacking in centers. Perfect storm for a physically ready guy like Monahan to step in.

I cannot remember the last time a Flames draft pick made the opening day roster the same season as their draft.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Smaller, height wise? I believe Bennett is around the same weight as Monahan was last off-season. Though I agree we're in a much better place center wise this year I'm not sure that'll affect if he stays or not; he could very well switch to wing.

I cannot remember the last time a Flames draft pick made the opening day roster the same season as their draft.

This is also true, but when was the last time we chose 4th overall? ;)

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I want to see Bennett dominate the OHL for 2 more years

100% agreed, though I do admit I want to give Bennett a couple games at the beginning of the year in the trial period without his ELC kicking in. A couple games gives him a taste and will make him even hungrier, and it would be nice for the kid to get a week or two's NHL salary. But the biggest reason is having him around our trainers for a couple of weeks, working with him, getting him in some good habits, and giving him stuff to work on. I think those two weeks at the beginning of the season could do wonders for the kid. But I do want him in juniors for this year at least

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

The biggest difference (to me) would be the quality of the team that Bennett would be returned to.

The 67s weren't a great team, so if Monahan was going to lose, might as well get some NHL experience doing it. Bennett on the other hand would be returning to a pretty good Kingston team, with an opportunity to play big minutes on a winning team that has a shot at a decent playoff run. It would also free him up for the World Jrs.

For me, Bennett must simply blow the socks off management to even be considered for a full time NHL job.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The biggest difference (to me) would be the quality of the team that Bennett would be returned to.

The 67s weren't a great team, so if Monahan was going to lose, might as well get some NHL experience doing it. Bennett on the other hand would be returning to a pretty good Kingston team, with an opportunity to play big minutes on a winning team that has a shot at a decent playoff run. It would also free him up for the World Jrs.

For me, Bennett must simply blow the socks off management to even be considered for a full time NHL job.

Heh, as a life long Kingston Frontenacs follower, the bolded made me chuckle a bit. Kingston hasn't won a playoff round since 1998. It's always "next year" with this club. I think the franchise is cursed (or at least has crappy, cheap ass ownership). They could finish the regular season tops in the conference, and still lose in round 1. Only way Bennett's getting a long playoff run is if he's dealt at the trade deadline. :p:

Having said that, I think your second point is a good one (about the WJC). Bennett returning for at least one more season and allowing him to take part in an elite tournament like the WJC would be huge for his development. Plus, it would give him another year to put on weight/get stronger.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Heh, as a life long Kingston Frontenacs follower, the bolded made me chuckle a bit. Kingston hasn't won a playoff round since 1998. It's always "next year" with this club. I think the franchise is cursed (or at least has crappy, cheap ass ownership). They could finish the regular season tops in the conference, and still lose in round 1. Only way Bennett's getting a long playoff run is if he's dealt at the trade deadline. :p:

Having said that, I think your second point is a good one (about the WJC). Bennett returning for at least one more season and allowing him to take part in an elite tournament like the WJC would be huge for his development. Plus, it would give him another year to put on weight/get stronger.

Agreed personally even though I understood not sending Monahan to the WJC for a break I did not like it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad