Prospect Info: #4 Sam Bennett

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Could Bennett and Monahan play on the powerplay together as early as next year. Imagine Benny-Money-Gaudreau. I'm drooling

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
We should split up Klimchuk and Poirier and Gaudreau and Baertschi because they are both similar types of players.

Baertschi-Bennett-Klimchuk
Gaudreau-Monahan-Poirier
Backlund-Reinhart-Granlund
Jankowski-Knight-Ferland/Bouma

And thats before including an Eichel or Mcdavid. :naughty:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Honestly...flames likely got the best player in the draft. This guy is the motor that will run this team. Perfect pick for us. Wow! Only other guy I wanted was ekblad

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly...flames likely got the best player in the draft. This guy is the motor that will run this team. Perfect pick for us. Wow! Only other guy I wanted was ekblad

Bennett was rated #1 on some drafts for a reason. Calgary got a steal at 4; which sounds silly.

He compliments Monahan like you wouldn't believe. Fills in every role that Monny doesn't do for us (toughness, mega-leadership). Could not be happier with this draft unless Reinhart dropped to us, but we knew he wasn't getting past Buffalo.

The depth down the middle in Calgary is amazing; very happy.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Bennett was rated #1 on some drafts for a reason. Calgary got a steal at 4; which sounds silly.

He compliments Monahan like you wouldn't believe. Fills in every role that Monny doesn't do for us (toughness, mega-leadership). Could not be happier with this draft unless Reinhart dropped to us, but we knew he wasn't getting past Buffalo.

Yup perfect compliment to mono's skillset. Love Reinhart too, but bennet's non-stop motor is exactly what this team needs! Very pumped. I imagine he'll be in junior for another year but I'd love it if he cracked our lineup this year.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier
Baertschi - Bennett - Klimchuk
Reinhart - Jankowski - Granlund
Bouma - Knight - Ferland

Not a bad list. It's gonna suck if Backlund gets squeezed out though.

And of course, not everyone there will make it. 50/50 that we draft another forward next year, which would push out one of those top guys. Hunter Smith has a decent chance as well. We just have way too many forwards in our pipeline.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not a bad list. It's gonna suck if Backlund gets squeezed out though.

And of course, not everyone there will make it. 50/50 that we draft another forward next year, which would push out one of those top guys. Hunter Smith has a decent chance as well. We just have way too many forwards in our pipeline.

The absolute benefit of having that many forward prospects, is that you can trade them when the time comes.

Imagine two years ago if people had asked for Backlund and Reinhart for a legitimate NHL player. Our system would have literally been depleted. The benefit now, if that was the asking price for a big time dman, we would do that all day because of the depth.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Exactly. It's a good position to be in.

But from a fan's POV, you get attached to these guys and it sucks to know that some of them aren't gonna be Flames. There's not too many players in our system that I don't like.

But man are we gonna have a lot of cards to play...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Bennett also has quite a bit more skill than Mony IMO. He has a higher offensive ceiling, I'm thinking 75-80pts if he pans out and he should, he's going to have great wingers to play with.

I would of liked Ekblad to fill a need, but without question Reinhart and Bennett were the best players in this draft. Draisaitl could become the best, but he has a longer way to get there.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014

Monahan is not the fleetest of foot, so Bennett's superior skating complements him nicely. Monahan can deal with Draisaitl's size while Bennett eats RNH for breakfast.

BacklundtoBartschi*

Monahan is not the fleetest of foot, so Bennett's superior skating complements him nicely. Monahan can deal with Draisaitl's size while Bennett eats RNH for breakfast.

Love it.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa

But.. but.. according to coiler fans RNH >>>>>> everyone

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I still think we need right handed RW's to fill a top 6 role, whether it be from drafting or using free agency. In a few years:

Gaudreau - Bennett - RW
Baertschi - Monahan - Colborne
Klimchuk - Backlund - Hudler (Or a RH winger)
Bouma - Arnold - H. Smith

May 27, 2012
Earth
I still think we need right handed RW's to fill a top 6 role, whether it be from drafting or using free agency. In a few years:

Gaudreau - Bennett - RW

TBH I think Knight would be best suited for 4th line C role. Big and can win faceoffs with ease. But who knows I guess?

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014

Gaudreau - Bennett - RW

I wouldn't be surprised to see Arnold on RW.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Outside fan perspective:

I've followed his junior career closely, as he plays (or played, depending on how well he does at camp in the fall) for my hometown's junior club. So I'm likely going to have to adopt the Flames as my second favorite team now that he's been drafted by Calgary.

Things fans are going to love about him:

-He's one tenacious SOB. A lot of the highlights focus on his ability with the puck, but he's quite the treat to watch when he doesn't have the puck because of how doggedly he goes after it. Whether it's on the forecheck, where he's got a really quick stick to intercept passes from opposing defensemen, or on the back check where he'll track down, lift the stick of the puck carrier, then loop around and head the other way with it. He's a puck hound.

-He hits, and usually it puts the other player on their ass when he does. Despite his slender build, he's got great balance. So he's usually the one coming out better during a collision.

-He's a hard worker. A lot of these high end skill guys can take shifts off, or will work hard only when their team has possession of the puck. Bennett plays hard all the time.

-He's got an underrated defensive game. Combining his tenacious puck pursuit with good defensive instincts and good positioning, he won't look out of place in a checking role early on, if that's what Calgary chooses to do when easing him into the NHL. In other words, he's not one of those prospects who is "top six or bust". If need be, he can handle defensive duties/PK duties as well.

I'm not sure if he'll be ready, physically, to make the Flames line up next season -- that will all depend on how much strength/weight he gains from now until September. My guess is one more year of junior. But when he's ready for the NHL, he's going to be quite the two-way bull dog.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Outside fan perspective:

I've followed his junior career closely, as he plays (or played, depending on how well he does at camp in the fall) for my hometown's junior club. So I'm likely going to have to adopt the Flames as my second favorite team now that he's been drafted by Calgary.

Things fans are going to love about him:

-He's one tenacious SOB. A lot of the highlights focus on his ability with the puck, but he's quite the treat to watch when he doesn't have the puck because of how doggedly he goes after it. Whether it's on the forecheck, where he's got a really quick stick to intercept passes from opposing defensemen, or on the back check where he'll track down, lift the stick of the puck carrier, then loop around and head the other way with it. He's a puck hound.

-He hits, and usually it puts the other player on their ass when he does. Despite his slender build, he's got great balance. So he's usually the one coming out better during a collision.

-He's a hard worker. A lot of these high end skill guys can take shifts off, or will work hard only when their team has possession of the puck. Bennett plays hard all the time.

-He's got an underrated defensive game. Combining his tenacious puck pursuit with good defensive instincts and good positioning, he won't look out of place in a checking role early on, if that's what Calgary chooses to do when easing him into the NHL. In other words, he's not one of those prospects who is "top six or bust". If need be, he can handle defensive duties/PK duties as well.

I'm not sure if he'll be ready, physically, to make the Flames line up next season -- that will all depend on how much strength/weight he gains from now until September. My guess is one more year of junior. But when he's ready for the NHL, he's going to be quite the two-way bull dog.

Thats great insight! Thanks for the information.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
After an article in THN where they talk with 5 or 6 members of the '89 cup winning team, the way they all talk about Gilmour makes me more excited about Bennett. They said he was the biggest part of their team and his leadership, work thic were huge. Hopefully Bennett can bring that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad