Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
165211116_slide.jpg

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If Cullen is out, I see us calling up Granlund. Any other forward and it would be someone other than Granlund, but we need an offensive 2nd line center on that line and sorry, but Brodziak doesn't cut it.

I could see this, but I could also see them bumping Brodz to 2nd line and calling up Larsson to center the 3rd line. Which one of the wingers currently on the team could (even theoretically) be moved to center?

Don't have much to say about the game itself, except that I hope it made them realize they can't count on certain players to pull rabbits out of their hats constantly and save their ***** while the rest of them play like morons. Things don't work that way in the long term and I hope they go back to playing as well as they did before seemingly getting too comfortable.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
A) Russo or someone from the wild said it was tieredness and lack of energy due to 6 games in 10 days or what ever it was... If not clowe then we need some physical in our line up so we don't get pushed. Around like today... I will be pumped if we get clowe... First praise and sister and now clowe... My bday might come early

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
Too many games, in too short a time. The Wild schedule quirks have arrived, and the team looks very tired right now. When we played Dallas the other day, the Stars have like almost 4 days to prepare for us, while we were flying back and forth, and playing the Yotes back in the Cities. Two back to backs in the same week this week is going to make for a long week for anything Wild. Get used to some more lack luster games before things get better I'm afraid. The Blues had some rest before playing us tonight. It's just a matter of our team getting tired, and having to play good teams on little to no rest, while they all seem to be rested for a couple / few days when they play us. It's just one of those things.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Why is Brodin so impotent offensively?

I mean, it's great that he focuses on defence his first year in the NHL, but he should get more points on his outlet passes alone.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Why is Brodin so impotent offensively?

I mean, it's great that he focuses on defence his first year in the NHL, but he should get more points on his outlet passes alone.

He seems to get a lot of third assists.

Either way, he'd be on pace for about 21 points in a full season as a 19 year old defenseman in the NHL while playing incredible defense. I'll take it.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I don't feel too upset over the loss. The possibility of losing Cullen for a long stretch makes me very nervous though. I hope we hear some good news today about Cullen.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
6 games in 10 days is brutal, glad nucks lost to SJ. i just hate to see us manhandled like we were last nite. makes me wonder if we're capable of lasting playoff series w blues, ducks, LA? oh well go wild!

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Too many games, in too short a time. The Wild schedule quirks have arrived, and the team looks very tired right now. When we played Dallas the other day, the Stars have like almost 4 days to prepare for us, while we were flying back and forth, and playing the Yotes back in the Cities. Two back to backs in the same week this week is going to make for a long week for anything Wild. Get used to some more lack luster games before things get better I'm afraid. The Blues had some rest before playing us tonight. It's just a matter of our team getting tired, and having to play good teams on little to no rest, while they all seem to be rested for a couple / few days when they play us. It's just one of those things.

didn't LA have a couple of days before playing the wild too?

Anyways, the wild is going to have to find a way to play the physical game. The blues (and kings for the first two periods) just layed out a blue print on how to beat this team. Clog the ice and hit everything that moves.

With no fear of our power play, they can push the limits and play our team as physically as they wish. I have never seen a team take so many well blatant penalties in a game and face so little consequences.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If this team continues to go with Kyle Brodziak on the top PP for much longer I think I may just lose it. Also, when the puck is up top, in the middle of the ice, why is he stationary at the top of the circles 5 feet away from Suter, directly in front of him? Opposing teams don't even need to bother with him up there and it's happened multiple times now.

As for the PP, not enough creativity and movement. Continues to be a huge issue.

I think you could probably count the number of 50-50 pucks the Wild won on one hand last night. The Blues just absolutely dominated in every facet.

If Cullen is out long-er term, it will be interesting to see what comes of Setoguchi. Can he continue his solid play or does he drop back down? Will be a good barometer on whether or not they need to attempt to hold onto Cullen into next season.

Bouchard and Clark hopefully won't see too many minutes the rest of the way...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Bad, bad game.

This team has been playing poorly for a while now. And the power play cannot get worse. Overpassing, overpassing, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass, tipped puck and out. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

We should expect a hell of a lot better than this team has been.

Starts in the defensive zone...outside the top pairing nobody is moving the puck well. Flashes of decent puck movement from Spurgeon and Clark but lots of mistakes as well. Gilbert and Stoner have been horrendous with the puck. I'm not sure Clark is good enough to get this defense into/through the playoffs.

Up front, they looked incredibly soft. Top line was great outside of reluctance to shoot the puck. Fourth line was drawing penalties at least and I liked Mitchell's game. The other two, soft and ineffective.

Personally I'd like to see Mitchell getting Heatley's ice time even strength and put Heatley on the first unit PP. I get having Brodziak as a right hand shot and in case Koivu gets tossed from the draw, but he's just not adding much on the PP.

Wild better shape up pretty damn soon otherwise they are going to fall down the standings and find themselves in real trouble.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
The Wild need to keep their feet moving. They are not a very fast team so if they caught standing still, bad things are going to happen.

Wild do need to be tougher. Maybe don't need to add some one. But just need to play tougher, finishing checks, less waving their sticks at opposing players and start hitting.

And wish we could improve our zone breakouts. We get bottled up in our own zone too much.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
hey jarick stop sugarcoating things & tell us how you really feel! j/k j/k j/k man im torn between mortgaging the future & adding some pieces or letting everyone develop stay the coarse & being happy with the teams progress this year.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i don't think Clowe will add much, but then i didn't think Rupp would either. But Clowe is hurt for godsake...

We just need to play more aggressively physical, like we were during the start of the winning stretch. I thought when looking at this stretch from a week removed we'd drop one of these games, but i thought it was going to be the LA game considering how they've got their **** together recently. Two big, physical and skilled teams while we're on the tail end of a busy stretch is about the worst thing we could have faced.

What does it say about the playoffs? Starting on relatively even terms where rest is concerned I'm not that worried about the physical aspect facing St. Louis or LA--i expect they'll hit more, but we'll have enough legs to at least look like we're in the game most nights. I wasn't expecting anything more than the first round so not too devastated one way or the other. Just need to hold on to get there.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Bad, bad game.

This team has been playing poorly for a while now. And the power play cannot get worse. Overpassing, overpassing, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass, tipped puck and out. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

We should expect a hell of a lot better than this team has been.

Starts in the defensive zone...outside the top pairing nobody is moving the puck well. Flashes of decent puck movement from Spurgeon and Clark but lots of mistakes as well. Gilbert and Stoner have been horrendous with the puck. I'm not sure Clark is good enough to get this defense into/through the playoffs.

Up front, they looked incredibly soft. Top line was great outside of reluctance to shoot the puck. Fourth line was drawing penalties at least and I liked Mitchell's game. The other two, soft and ineffective.

Personally I'd like to see Mitchell getting Heatley's ice time even strength and put Heatley on the first unit PP. I get having Brodziak as a right hand shot and in case Koivu gets tossed from the draw, but he's just not adding much on the PP.

Wild better shape up pretty damn soon otherwise they are going to fall down the standings and find themselves in real trouble.

Pretty good assessment my friend.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What does it say about the playoffs? Starting on relatively even terms where rest is concerned I'm not that worried about the physical aspect facing St. Louis or LA--i expect they'll hit more, but we'll have enough legs to at least look like we're in the game most nights. I wasn't expecting anything more than the first round so not too devastated one way or the other. Just need to hold on to get there.

This is what it says about the playoffs. We are screwed if we can't penetrate a 1-3-1 defense like STL was playing in the 3rd. I don't blame them for doing it either. That was very smart hockey by that club and between that and Elliott's play they deserved to win that game. They wanted it more than the Wild did. But if fans (Parise and Brodziak didn't make this excuse) want to state it was because of how many games in short amount of time, I hate to break it to them but the playoffs aren't exactly play a game, get 4 days off.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've noticed a real reluctance by the Wild to engage in physical play on the forecheck. Outside of Clutterbuck, those third and fourth lines have been chipping in pucks and not taking the body. They need to bang, especially when the other team is finishing every check in our end.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I've noticed a real reluctance by the Wild to engage in physical play on the forecheck. Outside of Clutterbuck, those third and fourth lines have been chipping in pucks and not taking the body. They need to bang, especially when the other team is finishing every check in our end.

Exactly. Between that and a reluctancy of many of these players to not take the chance at shooting the puck and generating a chance at a rebound goal or anything garbage is another point of concern.

0-5 on the PP isn't going to help the cause either. Maybe (just maybe) its time to split Koivu and Parise up from the top PP line and try something different? As a friend of mine in Chicago said, we play the umbrella pretty huge in comparison to a lot of other teams. Everyone just sits in their zone and passes until someone gets the chance to shoot it (namely Parise or Suter it seems)

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
This is what it says about the playoffs. We are screwed if we can't penetrate a 1-3-1 defense like STL was playing in the 3rd. I don't blame them for doing it either. That was very smart hockey by that club and between that and Elliott's play they deserved to win that game. They wanted it more than the Wild did. But if fans (Parise and Brodziak didn't make this excuse) want to state it was because of how many games in short amount of time, I hate to break it to them but the playoffs aren't exactly play a game, get 4 days off.

whether you or the players or anyone else wants to ignore it or not it's still a physical fact that the body will be broken down more after more activity in a short period of time. I like the high and mighty fight through adversity rah-rah stuff, but do you remember PT in basic? my scores went through the roof after a few days rest between the end and my in-processing at the turtle farm. Just like they said they would. Recovery is helpful. Rested, we're able to match the physicality of the bigger teams or counter it with speed/shiftiness. I really don't know what people are expecting out of this team I guess.

We could have still been in it had our PP worked at all, tired and listless as we looked. I blathered on a lot about ES being more important than PP (still think that) but tonight the PP definitely cost us the game.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If they could completely scrap the umbrella and run a different system that would be much better. They were getting some lucky goals that made the PP look a lot better than it was.

Notice how aggressive good teams have been playing against the Wild's PP. They know we love to pass and look for that perfect tap in shot. So they fly towards the puck carrier, which they can do since the Wild doesn't use the extra man as a numbers advantage, and they rush the passes, because they know the Wild will just pass at the perimeter. Even if a guy gets caught out of position, the Wild rarely get the shot off because the rushed passes aren't perfect on the tape and guys like Koivu really struggle to release one-timers.

Spurgeon has success because he can actually get the one-T off properly. Koivu cannot, so he has to pass it to Parise or Suter. I like him down low, not trying to make plays. That's not natural for him.

Butch at the point is a disaster. Want to talk about losing the puck there? Yikes. Why they don't put Heatley, who has a bomb of a shot, there is beyond me.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
yup..watching Spurge vs Brodz getting the puck on the PP is...infuriating. it takes brodziak forever to shoot, spurge has pulled the trigger before the puck even gets there. not a spurge lover but he's the only guy we have that is getting open and playing it the way it needs to be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad