OT: 3rd Annual Free HFNYR Yahoo Fantasy League

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If this is going to be a keeper with different rules than what were initially posted, I say we re-draft next year with clear, agreed upon rules. I held onto guys like Cooley and Power and Raymond and Johnston because they’re young, high upside players, not realizing it was just a “keep your player at this draft spot” or draft again thing. Not that I’d probably have any better of a record, but I obviously am a silly n00b loser.

I also would like the NHL to furnish me with a compensatory pick because I just had to drop Carter Hart lol
I agree with this even though I currently own Auston Mathews.

Reactions: DialUp

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Me and @UAGoalieGuy has a great battle this week… kudos for the win!

@Boris Zubov @Ail are having the battle of the century! This is toe to toe, epicness!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6771.png
    IMG_6771.png
    257 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Ail and Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Me and @UAGoalieGuy has a great battle this week… kudos for the win!

@Boris Zubov @Ail are having the battle of the century! This is toe to toe, epicness!!!!!
I managed to take the lead briefly, but @Ail held on. Well deserved win. Hope we get a rematch in the Finals.

I was down by 50 points out of the gate & as much as 70 points Thursday & Friday, but I'm proud of the boys. They fought back & got pucks in deep. Once Binnington didn't get the start today I knew I was in trouble. At the end, I needed a miracle empty netter by Dunn or Bjorkstrand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kupo and Ail

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I managed to take the lead briefly, but @Ail held on. Once Binnington didn't get the start today I knew I was in trouble.

I was down by 50 points out of the gate & as much as 70 points Thursday & Friday, but I'm proud of the boys. They fought back & got pucks in deep. Well deserved win by @Ail Hope we can have a rematch in the Finals.
Yeah if I had known Binnington wasn't starting and Daccord was I probably would not have given up earlier, crazy finish. I was pooping 'em when you put up all those points in the 1st period.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Yeah if I had known Binnington wasn't starting and Daccord was I probably would not have given up earlier, crazy finish. I was pooping 'em when you put up all those points in the 1st period.
It was literally the only time all week I pulled in front. Short lived however. Of course the Jackets teased me with those two 3rd period goals. :laugh:

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I managed to take the lead briefly, but @Ail held on. Well deserved win. Hope we get a rematch in the Finals.

I was down by 50 points out of the gate & as much as 70 points Thursday & Friday, but I'm proud of the boys. They fought back & got pucks in deep. Once Binnington didn't get the start today I knew I was in trouble. At the end, I needed a miracle empty netter by Dunn or Bjorkstrand.

It was literally the only time all week I pulled in front. Short lived however. Of course the Jackets teased me with those two 3rd period goals. :laugh:
What a matchup!

You guys should fight to the death in real life 😁🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Ail and Boris Zubov

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It was made clear that the rules were what was outlined by Kupo. Myself and several others held on to players we wouldn't have had it not been a keeper so I don't think it would be fair to change the rules from that and hold a redraft next year.

Man my team got absolutely bent over by injuries, I bet if there's some sort of analytic model that you could run on all our teams my team should easily be top 4 in the majority of simulations. I've had like all of my top 7 rounds of picks on IR at the same time :laugh:

One problem I think, is teams are a little too stacked which is leading to people being less active in the waiver wire. Opposite problem of last year when we had too many teams and were picking up scrubs on the waiver wire. A few ways we could tackle that next year, whether it be adding a couple more teams, or perhaps adding a "Utility" spot to the roster where you can put one player of any position. The other league Taluss & I are in from the GM Games board has this feature and I quite like it.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It was made clear that the rules were what was outlined by Kupo. Myself and several others held on to players we wouldn't have had it not been a keeper so I don't think it would be fair to change the rules from that and hold a redraft next year.

Man my team got absolutely bent over by injuries, I bet if there's some sort of analytic model that you could run on all our teams my team should easily be top 4 in the majority of simulations. I've had like all of my top 7 rounds of picks on IR at the same time :laugh:

One problem I think, is teams are a little too stacked which is leading to people being less active in the waiver wire. Opposite problem of last year when we had too many teams and were picking up scrubs on the waiver wire. A few ways we could tackle that next year, whether it be adding a couple more teams, or perhaps adding a "Utility" spot to the roster where you can put one player of any position. The other league Taluss & I are in from the GM Games board has this feature and I quite like it.
It actually wasn't made clear at all which is why so many of us are confused. Kupo's rules read like a suggestion which is fine, but none of us agreed or voted on it. The only thing that was clear to me at least, before the season started we agreed we were moving to a keeper league. I'm fine with staying a keeper league with whatever rules we agree on, whether it's Kupo's or a variation of them, as long as we have a majority in favor of them.

One of my biggest gripes with Kupo's suggestion, is A. I still really have no idea how they work. It seems like you get to keep every other pick you made in last years draft. And B. it severely limits trades of draft picks moving forward.

Reactions: Ail

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
One of my biggest gripes with Kupo's suggestion, is A. I still really have no idea how they work. It seems like you get to keep every other pick you made in last years draft. And B. it severely limits trades of draft picks moving forward.
The keeper pick is all relevant to whom you're trying to keep, where you drafted them last year, and where you can draft them this year.

This rule also make it very difficult to Keep your first two players, which creates a flow of players available in the first few rounds where 'better players' are usually found. Here's what I would have likely done with my draft:

Last years picks
1. Kucherov
2. Sorokin
3. Point
4. Marchand
5. Gustavsson
6. Morissey
7. Pavelski
8. Benn
9. Doughty
10. Buchnevich
11. Ekblad
12. Letang
13. Markstrom
14. Forsberg
15. Thomas
16. Ehlers

5 Keeper Tokens.

1. Same pick you drafted last year
2. Move up 1 spot from where player was drafted
3. Move up 2 spots from where player was drafted
4. Move up 3 spots from where player was drafted
5. Move up 4 spots from where player was drafted

I'm using my Same Spot token on Kuch in the 1st round. This means I wouldn't be able to draft another player in the same round the rest of the way.

If I wanted to use a keeper token on Sorokin, I wouldn't be able to because I'd have to move up 1 round and I'm already drafting Kuch in the 1st round. (If I had another 1st round pick, it would be possible to do this though)

I'll use my second token on Marchand who I drafted in the 4th round, and move up one spot so I'll be drafting him in the 3rd round.

I'm going to use another token on Markstrom and move up 2 spots, from 13 to 11.

I'm going to use just 1 more keeper token, moving up 4 spots on Forsberg from 14 to 10. This is what my next draft would look like:

1). Kucherov (Same Pick)
2).
3). Marchand (Move up 1)
4).
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10). Forsberg (Move up 4)
11). Markstrom (Move up 2)
12).
13).
14).
15).
16).

I would try and trade Sorokin and Point to someone for late round picks prior to the draft, assuming someone is interested. Also, the same team cannot use a keeper pick on the same player 3 consecutive years.

Hope this makes sense. It confused the tits out of me at first but then it made sense after my second year.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The keeper pick is all relevant to whom you're trying to keep, where you drafted them last year, and where you can draft them this year.

This rule also make it very difficult to Keep your first two players, which creates a flow of players available in the first few rounds where 'better players' are usually found. Here's what I would have likely done with my draft:

Last years picks
1. Kucherov
2. Sorokin
3. Point
4. Marchand
5. Gustavsson
6. Morissey
7. Pavelski
8. Benn
9. Doughty
10. Buchnevich
11. Ekblad
12. Letang
13. Markstrom
14. Forsberg
15. Thomas
16. Ehlers

5 Keeper Tokens.

1. Same pick you drafted last year
2. Move up 1 spot from where player was drafted
3. Move up 2 spots from where player was drafted
4. Move up 3 spots from where player was drafted
5. Move up 4 spots from where player was drafted

I'm using my Same Spot token on Kuch in the 1st round. This means I wouldn't be able to draft another player in the same round the rest of the way.

If I wanted to use a keeper token on Sorokin, I wouldn't be able to because I'd have to move up 1 round and I'm already drafting Kuch in the 1st round. (If I had another 1st round pick, it would be possible to do this though)

I'll use my second token on Marchand who I drafted in the 4th round, and move up one spot so I'll be drafting him in the 3rd round.

I'm going to use another token on Markstrom and move up 2 spots, from 13 to 11.

I'm going to use just 1 more keeper token, moving up 4 spots on Forsberg from 14 to 10. This is what my next draft would look like:

1). Kucherov (Same Pick)
2).
3). Marchand (Move up 1)
4).
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10). Forsberg (Move up 4)
11). Markstrom (Move up 2)
12).
13).
14).
15).
16).

I would try and trade Sorokin and Point to someone for late round picks prior to the draft, assuming someone is interested. Also, the same team cannot use a keeper pick on the same player 3 consecutive years.

Hope this makes sense. It confused the tits out of me at first but then it made sense after my second year.
So one thing that I thought of recently...is there no way to hold on to free agents picked up along the way? That would be pretty lame if we couldn't.

Reactions: Taluss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad