OT: 3rd Annual Free HFNYR Yahoo Fantasy League

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Well the good news is 2-8 is pretty tight and losing one week won't really hurt. Aside from BZ no one is really running away with anything so far.
I have a bad feeling my squad peaked way too early. I've been barely squeaking by the past few weeks & my point totals have been middle of the pack. The good news is McJesus hasn't stepped up to dominate yet. Hopefully he saves it for playoff time...fantasy playoff time.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I have a bad feeling my squad peaked way too early. I've been barely squeaking by the past few weeks & my point totals have been middle of the pack. The good news is McJesus hasn't stepped up to dominate yet. Hopefully he saves it for playoff time...fantasy playoff time.
Yes and the Oilers have the best schedule for the fantasy playoffs I believe.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
This is the worst draft I've ever done and can't even blame performance on injures. Damn.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The way the NHL schedules games has made it a challenge. You look at the weekly schedule and you're like, okay, I have everyone on my f***ing roster playing Tuesday and Saturday and most of the roster playing Thursday and Sunday. A lot of transactions feel lateral as you're only gaining like one game, net, for the week. I've found goalie streaming is perhaps the most impactful approach, although even the "good" goalies in the NHL suck this year.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Guarantee if there's some sort of way to input our teams into expected points over the course of a season my team would be one of the better ones lol, I'm normally one of the leaders in fantasy; all my best players have been injured
Kidding aside, we need to talk about the draft rules for next season. To avoid tanking In my other league, the winner of the consolation playoffs gets the first overall pick. It's a sure fire way to ensure guys who abandon their teams halfway thru the season aren't rewarded.

Reactions: Ail

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
1705285682005.jpeg

IMG_6716.png

Reactions: Ail

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It's been a really frustrating year. This will likely end up being my third loss where I scored the second-most points for the week...second-most only to the person I played. Shit makes me want to quit. :laugh:
I know exactly what you’re talking about lol. You’re only down 14 and the games about to go to OT… And you have Lyon in net. You could pull this off…(But then I’ll find you and stab you in the heart with a spoon).

Edit: Detroit scores. 3-2. 4-2.

Edit 3.0: Lyon didn’t start tonight.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kidding aside, we need to talk about the draft rules for next season. To avoid tanking In my other league, the winner of the consolation playoffs gets the first overall pick. It's a sure fire way to ensure guys who abandon their teams halfway thru the season aren't rewarded.
Yeah I too would like to discuss the rules for the keeper format. If I have a few more bad weeks, despite my team being relatively strong, I may look to sell some pieces. But I don't want to do that without knowing how that will potentially impact next year.

This is all based off football as this is only my second year doing hockey, but I'm a fan of not allowing first rounder picks to be kept the next season to avoid the top handful of guys living with the same teams for several years, and then doing a Round, Round +1, Round +2 keeper format (you can keep your first player at the round he was picked, the second you have to use one round higher than where he was picked, a third would be two rounds higher, etc.). Otherwise some guys end up basically running a dynasty league team when it's meant to just be a keeper. And limit the keeps, of course.

Reactions: LokiDog and Ail

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If I have a few more bad weeks
Got you fam, this week is a slam dunk W on man games alone for you, just hope your team doesn't shit the bed lol. Also Cmox will def fall out of the top6, so long as you stay pace with dial or bobbop, you are probably going to get in.

Still tenative on a keeper, but if Ed says were doing it, I guess. Not sure we have the personnel for a competitive keeper, honestly. It's hard enough between life and caring enough to get guys to set line-ups and manage their roster for a full season of redraft. Just reading through the Yahoo suggested rules it can get very complex for a commissioner depending and Ed will have to be a lot more active to police and manage the league.

ATM I am leaning towards redraft, add 1 IR+ spot and 1 Util slot for flexability. Wouldn't mind adding 2 more teams but 12 seems hard enough to maintain interest in. Otherwise I like what we have.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Got you fam, this week is a slam dunk W on man games alone for you, just hope your team doesn't shit the bed lol. Also Cmox will def fall out of the top6, so long as you stay pace with dial or bobbop, you are probably going to get in.

Still tenative on a keeper, but if Ed says were doing it, I guess. Not sure we have the personnel for a competitive keeper, honestly. It's hard enough between life and caring enough to get guys to set line-ups and manage their roster for a full season of redraft. Just reading through the Yahoo suggested rules it can get very complex for a commissioner depending and Ed will have to be a lot more active to police and manage the league.

ATM I am leaning towards redraft, add 1 IR+ spot and 1 Util slot for flexability. Wouldn't mind adding 2 more teams but 12 seems hard enough to maintain interest in. Otherwise I like what we have.
I'm fine with all this. I could do without a keeper. If you just look at the posting activity here by user, it's pretty common even for regular posters to disappear for a season or more. Presumably we'll see that with the league, as well. I'm also pretty happy with what we have right now.

I would like to see PIM added back in as a stat category for us but that's super minor.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’d also like to know the rules regarding this being a keeper league. I’m near the bottom of the standings but have been holding onto guys like Cooley and Power because I’m playing the long game and trying to keep my roster young.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’d also like to know the rules regarding this being a keeper league. I’m near the bottom of the standings but have been holding onto guys like Cooley and Power because I’m playing the long game and trying to keep my roster young.

Kupo made/posted all the rules a long time ago, are there any parts that you wanted clarification on or additional rules you weren't sure of?

Here was the rules:

• Keep one player from any round, using the same pick as where he was drafted in the prior year
  • Keep one player from any round, moving 1 slot earlier
  • Keep one player from any round, moving 2 slots earlier
  • Keep one player from any round, moving 3 slots earlier
  • Keep one player from any round, moving 4 slots earlier
  • And the other rules:
  • You can choose not to use your any/all of the keeper slots
  • You can use an earlier draft pick if you don’t have the specified draft pick available
  • To be kept, a player must have been drafted last season (not necessarily by you)
  • You can keep a maximum of one goalie
  • Can’t keep a player over 3 years. If a member trades for that player the clock resets.
So if Jova rigs the draft and gets the 1St OA and picks McJesus 1st, and then drafts Fox in the 2nd and, I don’t know, Trouba in the 3rd…

He’ll be able to keep McDavid next draft forfeiting his 1st. But he won’t have a token to pick Fox in the 2nd since he’ll have to move up a round to keep him.

However, he would be able to pass on Fox and use his 2nd pick and select Trouba in the 2nd round! (Lol). That’ll free up his 3rd round pick and could use it to draft someone else, or invest that pick on another keeper drafted in later rounds.

Let's say you draft:

1). McDavid
2). Fox
3). Zibanejad
4). Trouba
5). KAM
6). Kakko
7). Chytil
8). Hulk Hogan
9). Superwoman
10). Thor

Next year you'll have 5 keepers that you can select. You decide to keep McD at 1. You forfeit that pick and it automatically picks McD. You won't be able to draft Fox though since you have to move up a spot in order to pick him in the second round. You decide you want to put a keeper token on Zbad, so you'll be able to draft him in the 2nd round by using your *move up 1 slot earlier token.

You'll now have:
1). McD (Keeper same slot*)
2). Zbad (Moved up 1 slot*)
3). Draftable

You now have 3 more keepable tokens remaining.
Now let's say you want to use another token on Kakko, moving up 2 spots.

1). McD (Keeper same slot)
3).
4). Kakko (Moved up 2 slots*)
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).

You'll now have 2 keeper tokens left, moving up 3 slots and the other 4 slots which you can use or ignore.

Reactions: haveandare and Ail

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Kupo made/posted all the rules a long time ago, are there any parts that you wanted clarification on or additional rules you weren't sure of?

Here was the rules:

• Keep one player from any round, using the same pick as where he was drafted in the prior year
  • And the other rules:
  • You can use an earlier draft pick if you don’t have the specified draft pick available
  • To be kept, a player must have been drafted last season (not necessarily by you)
  • Can’t keep a player over 3 years. If a member trades for that player the clock resets.
So if Jova rigs the draft and gets the 1St OA and picks McJesus 1st, and then drafts Fox in the 2nd and, I don’t know, Trouba in the 3rd…

He’ll be able to keep McDavid next draft forfeiting his 1st. But he won’t have a token to pick Fox in the 2nd since he’ll have to move up a round to keep him.

However, he would be able to pass on Fox and use his 2nd pick and select Trouba in the 2nd round! (Lol). That’ll free up his 3rd round pick and could use it to draft someone else, or invest that pick on another keeper drafted in later rounds.

Let's say you draft:

1). McDavid
2). Fox
3). Zibanejad
4). Trouba
5). KAM
6). Kakko
7). Chytil
8). Hulk Hogan
9). Superwoman
10). Thor

Next year you'll have 5 keepers that you can select. You decide to keep McD at 1. You forfeit that pick and it automatically picks McD. You won't be able to draft Fox though since you have to move up a spot in order to pick him in the second round. You decide you want to put a keeper token on Zbad, so you'll be able to draft him in the 2nd round by using your *move up 1 slot earlier token.

You'll now have:
3). Draftable

3).
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).

You'll now have 2 keeper tokens left, moving up 3 slots and the other 4 slots which you can use or ignore.
Makes sense, I would add all trades must include a pick from both sides if picks are involved to keep things even.

You trade 1st for Fox, other team includes their last round pick so the team recieving the 1st doesn't have an extra pick in the last round but their roster is full from having 2 1sts.

Custom draft order based on finish or a lottery system?

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Here was the rules:

• And the other rules:

Let's say you draft:

1). McDavid
2). Fox
3). Zibanejad
4). Trouba
5). KAM
6). Kakko
7). Chytil
8). Hulk Hogan
9). Superwoman
10). Thor

You'll now have:
3). Draftable

3).
5).
6).
7).
8).
9).
10).

I saw these rules when he posted them, but I'm still confused as hell about them & honestly none of us agreed to them. We should all be able to propose changes etc & put it to a 12 person vote.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Some more real examples:

My draft top 5:
Tkachuk
Fox
Nylander
Crosby
Eichel

I can keep Tkachuk with my 1st.
I can't keep Fox because I would need to move +1 round but used my first on Tkachuk.
I can keep Nylander by moving up 1 spot and use my 2nd.
I cannot keep Crosby because I would need to move +2 rounds on my next keeper, and used my second on Nylander.
I can keep Eichel by moving +2 rounds and using my third.

So far I have used my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

8. Skinner
9. Bobrovsky

My next keeper is +3 rounds, my last is +4. If I use my +3 to keep Skinner, I use my 5th on him, if I wanted to use my +4 keeper on Bobrovsky, even though my 5th was used on Skinner, I could use my 4th on Bobrovsky since it is higher than my 5th and unused.

Ed can double check I understood that correctly.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Some more real examples:

My draft top 5:
Tkachuk
Fox
Nylander
Crosby
Eichel

I can keep Tkachuk with my 1st.
I can't keep Fox because I would need to move +1 round but used my first on Tkachuk.
I can keep Nylander by moving up 1 spot and use my 2nd.
I cannot keep Crosby because I would need to move +2 rounds on my next keeper, and used my second on Nylander.
I can keep Eichel by moving +2 rounds and using my third.

So far I have used my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

8. Skinner
9. Bobrovsky

My next keeper is +3 rounds, my last is +4. If I use my +3 to keep Skinner, I use my 5th on him, if I wanted to use my +4 keeper on Bobrovsky, even though my 5th was used on Skinner, I could use my 4th on Bobrovsky since it is higher than my 5th and unused.

Ed can double check I understood that correctly.
So basically you can keep every other pick you made in this years' draft? That's asinine, IMO. Personally I'd prefer we all get to keep 4 skaters & a goalie. We can set limits on how long you can keep someone on your roster...somewhere from 3-5 years seems reasonable.

Reactions: haveandare

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yeah I think it makes more sense to just keep a decided amount of players and everyone else just gets thrown back into the draft

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad