OT: 3rd Annual Free HFNYR Yahoo Fantasy League

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
So basically you can keep every other pick you made in this years' draft? That's asinine, IMO. Personally I'd prefer we all get to keep 4 skaters & a goalie. We can set limits on how long you can keep someone on your roster...somewhere from 3-5 years seems reasonable.
Well it can go to a vote I guess, doesn't really matter to me. I think the weighted picks are supposed to add some "strategy" but it seems more complicated for the sake of creating strategy. Probably easier to just do what you suggested and have limitations on years kept. Maybe weight the players per round? 3 years for 1-5, 5 years for anyone after top 5? I dunno, who knows if the league even makes it that long lol. Probably over thinking it. KISS method to start and if the league is successful but we run into a dynasty problem, we can address that later.

Edit: Right now we just need a basis so when people start trading picks they know what to expect next draft.

Edit 2: Just occurred to me if we just give everyone 4 skaters and a goalie with no limitations, everyone will keep the majority of their top 5 picks, which significantly dilutes the talent for the first few rounds and makes the value of a 1st worth much less. It also gives bottom feeders less motivation to sell a top player for a 1st knowing they won't get that value back at the draft.

Reactions: haveandare

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Edit 2: Just occurred to me if we just give everyone 4 skaters and a goalie with no limitations, everyone will keep the majority of their top 5 picks, which significantly dilutes the talent for the first few rounds and makes the value of a 1st worth much less. It also gives bottom feeders less motivation to sell a top player for a 1st knowing they won't get that value back at the draft.
Honestly, in my other league, which rolls a 23 man roster, what you're describing is definitely an issue, plus we keep 10 skaters & 1 goalie. I hate it, but I joined the league years after it was formed...so I don't really have any leverage to change the way they do it. For us, 4 skaters & 1 goalie won't be a huge issue...For example, Sam Reinhart went unprotected while someone else like Drew Doughty was a keeper. They'll be plenty of talent to choose from in the 1st round with only 12 teams.

Reactions: Ail

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Well it can go to a vote I guess, doesn't really matter to me. I think the weighted picks are supposed to add some "strategy" but it seems more complicated for the sake of creating strategy. Probably easier to just do what you suggested and have limitations on years kept. Maybe weight the players per round? 3 years for 1-5, 5 years for anyone after top 5? I dunno, who knows if the league even makes it that long lol. Probably over thinking it. KISS method to start and if the league is successful but we run into a dynasty problem, we can address that later.

Edit: Right now we just need a basis so when people start trading picks they know what to expect next draft.

So let's add limitations.

As an example keep 1 forward 1 dman 1 prospect 1 goalie.

If we did it that way (just roughly looking at top 3 guys) unprotected would be Panarin, Dobson, JT Miller, Marchand Fosberg, Doughty, Eichel M Tkachuk.

Pretty good crop of players

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
FWIW I didn't really draft any prospects because I hadn't seen anything to that point to indicate this was really going to be a keeper league. I mean if we go that route I won't complain, but I did want to raise that it was tough to do the draft without knowing what or if you'd be able to keep for next season.

My current roster I have not one player even remotely resembling a prospect.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
FWIW I didn't really draft any prospects because I hadn't seen anything to that point to indicate this was really going to be a keeper league. I mean if we go that route I won't complain, but I did want to raise that it was tough to do the draft without knowing what or if you'd be able to keep for next season.

My current roster I have not one player even remotely resembling a prospect.
Yeah same, I drafted Mason McTavish and dropped him a few weeks in lol.

Well we have until the week of the TDL (Feb 28th) to have agreed upon rules, sooner the better so people can make trades ASAP or at least have time to get something done. Need @EdJovanovski and @Kupo to weigh in and decide if were are going to take 2-3 sets of keeper rules to a vote, or all just try to agree upon 1 set here in the thread. We should at least try to get a majority to just post a YES.

So far:

Kupo's proposed rules unmodified - Max of 5 keepers, each additional keeper weighted +1 round from where they were drafted

BorisZubov's suggestion - Max 5 keepers, 4 skaters and 1 goalie from any round

Talus' suggestion - Max 4 keepers, 1 forward, 1 defense, 1 goalie, and 1 prospect from any position.

I will suggest to add to Talus' rules two things, 1 extra forward to keep the number 5. To rectify NYR2k2's and my issue, we can allow teams without a prospect they wish to keep, to select a prospect who went undrafted this year and did not end the season on another roster or is not selected by that manager. I think it's only fair if I gave up on McTavish for instance that Bobbop picked him up and should be allowed to select him as his keeper prospect if he wishes. It's also only fair since we did not have the rules in place prior to the draft, to allow teams the option to select an undrafted prospect should they not want anyone off their roster, or have none whom qualify. I guess that also means we would need to decide what rules we use to define a prospect.

So far BZ's is the most straightforward, Talus' is better for keeping the draft talent pool less stagnant.

Edit: To clarify the McTavish scenario for Bobbop, any prospect you did not draft you wish to keep has to be rostered by the TDL and remain on your roster the rest of the season. That prevents someone from adding a prospect late when the season is already over and picking them.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah same, I drafted Mason McTavish and dropped him a few weeks in lol.

Well we have until the week of the TDL (Feb 28th) to have agreed upon rules, sooner the better so people can make trades ASAP or at least have time to get something done. Need @EdJovanovski and @Kupo to weigh in and decide if were are going to take 2-3 sets of keeper rules to a vote, or all just try to agree upon 1 set here in the thread. We should at least try to get a majority to just post a YES.

So far:

Kupo's proposed rules unmodified - Max of 5 keepers, each additional keeper weighted +1 round from where they were drafted

BorisZubov's suggestion - Max 5 keepers, 4 skaters and 1 goalie from any round

Talus' suggestion - Max 4 keepers, 1 forward, 1 defense, 1 goalie, and 1 prospect from any position.

I will suggest to add to Talus' rules two things, 1 extra forward to keep the number 5. To rectify NYR2k2's and my issue, we can allow teams without a prospect they wish to keep, to select a prospect who went undrafted this year and did not end the season on another roster or is not selected by that manager. I think it's only fair if I gave up on McTavish for instance that Bobbop picked him up and should be allowed to select him as his keeper prospect if he wishes. It's also only fair since we did not have the rules in place prior to the draft, to allow teams the option to select an undrafted prospect should they not want anyone off their roster, or have none whom qualify. I guess that also means we would need to decide what rules we use to define a prospect.

So far BZ's is the most straightforward, Talus' is better for keeping the draft talent pool less stagnant.

Edit: To clarify the McTavish scenario for Bobbop, any prospect you did not draft you wish to keep has to be rostered by the TDL and remain on your roster the rest of the season. That prevents someone from adding a prospect late when the season is already over and picking them.
I didn’t realize there were people who didn’t know this was a keeper league. We should start from scratch next year if that’s the case, which it is.

I like the idea of being able to keep a propect that went undrafted. Having done other keeper leagues in the past, I strongly believe in the format I suggested with weighted rounds.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn’t realize there were people who didn’t know this was a keeper league. We should start from scratch next year if that’s the case, which it is.

I like the idea of being able to keep a propect that went undrafted. Having done other keeper leagues in the past, I strongly believe in the format I suggested with weighted rounds.
It wasn't that I didn't know it was a keeper--I knew that was what we had "generally" agreed on--but I didn't know any of the rules regarding the keeper element. So I basically just drafted, and have continued to operate my team, as if I was just playing for this year. I mean I see someone like Matty Beniers hanging around out there, if under some rules I was allowed to keep him if I claimed him now, maybe I'd do that as he's surely worth a late round pick. But without knowing if I can do that, why would I potentially handicap myself for this season, you know?

I guess the issue is that with I think one exception, every keeper or dynasty league I've been in had been around for a few seasons, so I knew the rules going in. This has been a bit more an on-the-fly type of arrangement, LOL.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It wasn't that I didn't know it was a keeper--I knew that was what we had "generally" agreed on--but I didn't know any of the rules regarding the keeper element. So I basically just drafted, and have continued to operate my team, as if I was just playing for this year. I mean I see someone like Matty Beniers hanging around out there, if under some rules I was allowed to keep him if I claimed him now, maybe I'd do that as he's surely worth a late round pick. But without knowing if I can do that, why would I potentially handicap myself for this season, you know?

I guess the issue is that with I think one exception, every keeper or dynasty league I've been in had been around for a few seasons, so I knew the rules going in. This has been a bit more an on-the-fly type of arrangement, LOL.
I knew it was a keeper & didn't draft any prospects because our roster sizes are so small. @Taluss went the other way & drafted mostly prospects. @LokiDog, I believe grabbed Logan Cooley with a late round pick to stash him for the future. The draft was a mixed bag for most of us.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Yeah, I knew it had been discussed that we were going to move this league into a keeper format, but I didn't realize the rules were finalized already and agreed upon starting for this year. I admit I did draft under the assumption that it could move into a keeper format but didn't think it would pan out so I've played under the assumption it would not, and that was my decision so I'm okay with those choices.

Well I'm good with whatever, so if others want to make a case for using rules outside of yours, I will let them do that. I also don't care personally if we count this year as keeper 1.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Maybe we can do tandem leagues? One yearly HFNYR league that rotates members based on whether or not your team made the playoffs and one keeper league with the current members, minus those not interested who can be replaced in the offseason. Rotating members in the yearly league would allow others participate who may be interested and motivate teams to at least stay competitive enough to not get relegated.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
@bobbop and @UAGoalieGuy with an absolute nail biter to finish out week 15.

On a side note, I might jump off the Throggs Neck Bridge tonight and get a jump start on my next lifetime. Every time you mother f***ers think it’s bad being a rangers fan, be thankful you’re not a bills fan….

Speaking of the Throggs Neck Bridge, wtf Is a Throgg…..?! What a stupid f***ing name for a bridge..

I’m drunk. And miserable. I’m going to bed. f*** everyone and everything. Go Rangers, or something…..

• Haha
Reactions: Ail and Boris Zubov

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

On a side note, I might jump off the Throggs Neck Bridge tonight and get a jump start on my next lifetime. Every time you mother f***ers think it’s bad being a rangers fan, be thankful you’re not a bills fan….

Speaking of the Throggs Neck Bridge, wtf Is a Throgg…..?! What a stupid f***ing name for a bridge..

I’m drunk. And miserable. I’m going to bed. f*** everyone and everything. Go Rangers, or something…..
At least you ended my winning streak at 12. Small consolation.

• Haha
Reactions: Ail and Kupo

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Best way to make up a 60 point deficit is having 11 players in the lineup on Sunday.

Mika to Kreider goal late just enough to put me over the top.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If this is going to be a keeper with different rules than what were initially posted, I say we re-draft next year with clear, agreed upon rules. I held onto guys like Cooley and Power and Raymond and Johnston because they’re young, high upside players, not realizing it was just a “keep your player at this draft spot” or draft again thing. Not that I’d probably have any better of a record, but I obviously am a silly n00b loser.

I also would like the NHL to furnish me with a compensatory pick because I just had to drop Carter Hart lol

• Haha
Reactions: Ail and haveandare

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If this is going to be a keeper with different rules than what were initially posted, I say we re-draft next year with clear, agreed upon rules. I held onto guys like Cooley and Power and Raymond and Johnston because they’re young, high upside players, not realizing it was just a “keep your player at this draft spot” or draft again thing. Not that I’d probably have any better of a record, but I obviously am a silly n00b loser.

I also would like the NHL to furnish me with a compensatory pick because I just had to drop Carter Hart lol
Agreed...I never would've taken McJesus first had I known differently.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Not even going to wait until I officially lose to say it f*** you Boris and the McDavid you rode in on!!!! :ha::mad:

:razz:

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Not even going to wait until I officially lose to say it f*** you Boris and the McDavid you rode in on!!!! :ha::mad:

:razz:
It's still too early to call...just like the Bush/Gore election. The Vancouver boys did show up big time in the 3rd period last night, however. This is honestly the 1st week McDavid has had an impact for me. Still wish that f***er would score some goals ..60+ last year, pacing for 30 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad