OT: 3rd Annual Free HFNYR Yahoo Fantasy League

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Due to a few guys abandoning their teams halfway through last year we'll be prioritizing players who have participated before and are active. As usual, feel free to submit any recommendations for league format & rules. The last two years the rules we have that deviate from the default are we underpowered goalies slightly, overpowered hitting, blocks & PIM slightly (as we have a deeper league, so this makes those free agent pickups for players who typically wouldn't be worth much in fantasy meaningful) and we have open free agency rather than using waivers where you'd have to wait a week to pickup the player, I think that's a good rule change to have in a deep pool. It also encourages people to be more active.

Please post what date/time is best for you to do a draft

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Definitely in.

We should have a rule where at the halfway point of the season (once everyone plays eachother once) those who are inactive must forfeit their team and its given to a new player.

Also just curious on everyone's opinion of doing the match up in this format? (Shown in pic attached) It's simple. 1 point for each category you win. I'm good for anything though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_113306_Yahoo Fantasy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_113306_Yahoo Fantasy.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I like the categories format instead of the points format. My other Yahoo league has 10 skater categories & 5 for goalies.

Skaters....G/A/Pts/PP points/SH points/SOG/Shooting%/PIM/FOW/GWG
Goalies. Games Started/Wins/Saves/Sv%/Shutouts

Not saying we need to do it exactly this, but it's a good template.

My suggestions are to the limit the league to 12 teams with a $25 fee to keep players from completely losing interest & not participating after week 2.

Minimum Goalie starts should be set based on how large the rosters are. If we're carrying 2 goalies, it should be 3 for the week. If we're carrying 3, it should be 4 for the week.

Trades should have to be voted on by all the GMs in the league. Must have 50% of the league vote Yes for any trade to be approved.

Once dropped, Free agents aren't eligible to play the same night...must sit out a 24 hour waiver period.

When we determine roster sizes, we need to adjust the number or IR & IR+ slots. We can all vote on it.

Again, these 12 players stayed active & engaged until the end & should be guaranteed a spot should they want one.

@Kupo
@bobbop
@nyr2k2
@EdJovanovski
@LokiDog
@Taluss
@Cmox
@Ail
@haveandare
@UAGoalieGuy
@DialUp
@Boris Zubov

Since @nyr2k2 doesn't want the commish job, maybe we should have a few guys volunteer & we can all vote on it.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
What's everyone's thoughts on a keepers league if majority of the players from Boris list are interested in participating again this season? (Wording it that way because we know they would stay active)

Also if we do a keepers league would we also do a prospect draft?

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm not a fan of PIM either...I brought that up last year. Makes no sense why a team should be rewarded for it...especially in the points system we had.
In large leagues, it’s a source of points that players can achieve. It diversifies your roster and waiver pick ups so the same players are not constantly being recycled. It was a more prevalent stat many years ago when there were actual enforcers.

I’m indifferent about it. There are leagues I’ve played with and without it. Depending on the leagues scoring format, you might also need it as the tie breaker if we’re doing a category format instead of points.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Early in the season when my roster was rounding into shape I had to rely on some guys who picked up a lot of PIMs to help me each week. Like Oleksiak and Dillon were two guys I used for PIMs (as well as hits).

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I appreciate the dialog on PIM. Free speech at it's finest. It's just weird to me. Would you want to have a football league where there's points for penalty yards against?

However, I understand it gives some strategic depth to pics too on the flip side. Still am not a fan. I also hate +/- but can't win them all.

I will do whatever the mods tell me to do though.

Reactions: Kupo

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I like PIM/Hits especially in a deeper league, last year was 20 teams and waiver pickups would’ve been meaningless if it weren’t for PIM/Hits counting as a stat, since there’s only scrubs left as free agents. It adds more strategy and encourages you to make a more well rounded team.

I prefer non-keeper as I find doing the drafts to be very fun, though I’m open to either

Reactions: Kupo

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I like PIM/Hits especially in a deeper league, last year was 20 teams and waiver pickups would’ve been meaningless if it weren’t for PIM/Hits counting as a stat, since there’s only scrubs left as free agents. It adds more strategy and encourages you to make a more well rounded team.

I prefer non-keeper as I find doing the drafts to be very fun, though I’m open to either
A smaller 12 team league will give each team more depth & we can expand the rosters if we choose to. Last year we were fighting for scraps in Round 7 of the draft. Round 10, guys like Conor Sheary were getting picked.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Probably should have 3 IL
We absolutely need more than we had last year, but let's see how many teams we have & how big the rosters are before we land on a number.

My other league with 10 teams has 23 roster spots with 5 IR & 5 IR+ spots. Again, not that we have to follow that model, just an outline. I think that's a bit high actually, but 3 IR & 3 IR+ spots might work. The problem is that some NHL teams don't list players on IR even if they are out 3-4 weeks, so under Yahoo's rules we can only use IR+ for them. The injury bug ravaged me in my other league & my roster was short guys for a a couple of weeks.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Let’s democracy the shit out of this and start a poll to see what everyone prefers regarding keeper/non-keeper and PIM’s.

Despite Ed’s shenanigans last year I think he will make a good commish, just as long as there’s no Tom Foolery :skeptic:

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
As the regular season champ 2 years ago, that was unceremoniously left off last year even after I asked to re-up, I’m happy to ask in….again. Unless you are scared to have me in the league…again, lol.

PS - Keepers are for losers. You’re good? Prove it. Every year.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Let’s democracy the shit out of this and start a poll to see what everyone prefers regarding keeper/non-keeper and PIM’s.

Despite Ed’s shenanigans last year I think he will make a good commish, just as long as there’s no Tom Foolery :skeptic:
Thankyou, i think there was a bit of a misunderstanding with Boris and he thought I allowed that lopsided trade to go through. Remember I sent a few funny trade proposals that got declined but one guy who stopped caring about his team accepted, but I didn’t allow it to go through. I will have GM voting for all trades, and I am quite tech savvy and able to organize it well and change settings to whatever you guys request. :)

I’ll compile a list of questions, I might do a Google docs survey where people can select multiple choice options for each setting. Or we can just do it through posts on here

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’d enjoy a keeper league. Rewards long term foresight and gives you the opportunity to draft on potential, not just last years stats, as well as encouraging people to stick around when their playoff hopes die. I’ll sign up shortly. We got back from Poland Wednesday, did the Ren Faire yesterday and it’s Mrs. Craine’s bday today. Busy. And drunkish again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad