GDT: #39| New York Islanders @ Edmonton Oilers | January 4th | 9:30 PM |F/L 5-2

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Or it could be teams have bad games. Hmm mind blowing

This fan is not on any ledge...but I can't speak for others. What I know is that there are zero excuses for not showing up. They were on the third game of a road trip and weren't playing the second leg of a back to back. Sometimes teams lose. But not showing up last night is really inexcusable.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
What a ****-show that was. Let's put this one behind us and get a W in VAN.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
i don't think this was a bad game for the Isles, not as much as most here think. Even with a mediocre effort and relatively poor results, they were in the game and had a lot of scoring chances. The Oilers played terribly too, for a large part of the game. They giveaway the puck in their zone like it's part of their plan. There were moments when JB-JT-KO were buzzing the crease, seemingly impossible that they didn't score.

Also, did anyone notice Yakupov? I think he played. Terrible player.

I didn't like the way the Isles looked since the first shift, they had "lazy" body language, possibly over-confident, but this was a good lesson.

If they work hard, they can beat anyone. If they don't work hard, they can lose.

Of course, the two big gaffes by Halak and Visnovsky are simply bad luck. Halak didn't play well, first time since October.

The Isles still out-shot the Oilers and had enough chances to win the game, even with their bad luck and poor effort level. I have ZERO worry about this team - they are among the best in the NHL.

I like Tavares' battle level lately, he's starting to make plays down low like he used to, maybe getting more comfortable with his knee?

I don't like Okposo's game, he's not getting any results either, some of it is luck - he'll get it going though.

Grabovski has not played that poorly but isn't getting any results either.
The lines could use a shake-up, we'll see what Capuano comes up with.

Mr Islander

Nov 3, 2006
Long Island
I saw these comments from John Tavares on the NHL.com website:

"We were slow coming out and we let them do some things they wanted to do, give them some credit, but it we were slow and out-worked and just not good enough," said Islanders captain John Tavares, who was minus-3. "It starts with me and being on for three goals against isn't acceptable either. We need a better effort than that, I don't care how good things have been going. We can't get complacent, we just didn't play very well."

This is one of the reasons that I respect John Tavares as a player and leader. He's intelligent, competitive, and knows what it takes to win. I agree with what was bolded here 100%. He would have been a player that Al Arbour would have been pleased to have on one of his teams. I would label him an "Old Islander Type", or on other words, a winner.

Not only can't they get complacent, they have to keep pushing themselves. Keep pushing themselves to get better. One of the reasons, say, the New England Patriots of the NFL are always in the playoffs year after year is that they never accept good enough. They always are trying and looking for ways that they can get better, game after game. It starts with their head coach, and trickles down to their player leaders. I wish it could be that way with the Islanders.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
One game I decide to watch and they decide to do this. :(

Maybe I just shouldn't watch the games anymore :shakehead

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Scrivens played a great game last night for the Oilers. I would give him a lot of credit for the Isles loss. There were many times this game where the Isles were threatening and he stood up to the task. We were still in this game until towards the end when our inability to get the puck past Scrivens opened the flood gates the other way. Sometimes you run into a hot goaltender. Did we play poorly? Yes, but we still had our chances and were stuffed.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
There's absolutely no reason to jump off a ledge, but it is disappointing that we have lost to lottery teams recently. We are not nearly good enough to win just by showing up. Hell, I don't think any team in the league is good enough to win just by showing up.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Do we have a consensus on who Cappy's passengers were?

I think one was Halak but I'm not sure who else. Maybe Leddy for the blown assignment

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Look, they played down to the competition. It became a slop-contest and we got out slopped. Let it go and move on. When vis and Hickey are prime culprits in the garbage play, with plenty of help from most of the rest. I think this will correct itself.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
What's most disappointing to me about this loss is that they had the opportunity to take over first place against one of the worst teams in the league, and they blew it. And it wasn't even a case of getting out played, they looked like **** doing it.

I'm not on suicide watch or anything, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical of their ability to "seal the deal".

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Do we have a consensus on who Cappy's passengers were?

I think one was Halak but I'm not sure who else. Maybe Leddy for the blown assignment

I thought Leddy played well, despite a couple of mistakes that he never makes. I'm not sure who these "passengers" were yesterday, individually, I just saw a whole team that didn't have success and lacked concentration (at key times), more than pure "battle" or work.

Scrivens played a great game last night for the Oilers. I would give him a lot of credit for the Isles loss. There were many times this game where the Isles were threatening and he stood up to the task. We were still in this game until towards the end when our inability to get the puck past Scrivens opened the flood gates the other way. Sometimes you run into a hot goaltender. Did we play poorly? Yes, but we still had our chances and were stuffed.

I've seen a lot of EDM games this year and they are beyond terrible. They've been much better (especially defensively) since the coaching change but even then, they are still just terrible with and without the puck. If they don't score off the rush (like on Eberle's goal) then they are constantly defending and they turnover the puck in their own zone more than any team I've seen by far.

They need a priest to exorcise the demons on that team.

In a sense, the Hall-RNH-Eberle kinda remind me of the JVR-Bozak-Kessel line in TOR. Just not enough two-way play to go up against opposing teams - recipe for disaster, especially when you lack defense.

I thought Klefbom looked pretty good yesterday. He's still very young and hopefully will continue improving. Justin Schultz looked awful, they seem to suffer from a complete lack of confidence and/or ability.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Disgusted by the loss, but let's face it - the Isles can't win every game, and Edmonton can't lose every game. Last night, those two phenomena happened to converge. The awful turnovers in the Isles' own end set the tone and they never recovered... a real "burn the tape" situation.

Can't help but lol at fans from a certain other local team taking potshots when the same lousy Oilers beat them in Nov in their own house :laugh:

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Am I the only one that saw this game completely different?? I thought we dominated the game and it was just one of those fluke games where nothing goes in for us and we handed them two goals on a platter by simple bonehead plays. I thought the forecheck was great and didn't see any player dog it. Sure, guys blew opportunities to score, but the effort seemed there all night.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
the joke of it is the biggest bunch of passengers to the success of the team this year are the coaches.

Not going to comment on the game, but you are correct.

If Cappy wants to play the "passengers" card, he must be in that same category for 29 out of the 39 games, along with the buffoons that design our PP and PK on a nightly basis.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
or Vis who threw the puck right into the slot for that easy goal

I really doubt either Leddy or Visnovsky are about to be upbraided by the coach. Both had bad moments, but have been very consistent players.

The fourth line was dreadful. Strome looked like he was sleepwalking. Nelson too. These players were probably the subject of the Capuano's ire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad