GDT: #39| New York Islanders @ Edmonton Oilers | January 4th | 9:30 PM |F/L 5-2

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Now,
if you want to have a laugh
go to page 1 and reread this thread till the start of the game.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
They win tonight, and I think even the most negative posters among us have to start believing. It's not about who they're playing. It's about the situation they find themselves in. A win and they're in sole possession of first place! In years past, this team would wilt in a situation like this no matter who the opponent is. If they can win this one, I think it says a lot about the maturity of the roster.

Yes, babyIsles ...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The best post was from thedonger which got an Mod Edit, he might have shot himself in his head after the game but might even missed that.

sorondoe

IslAnders
Oct 10, 2012
Ballroom A
Terrible loss, some guys battled out there but overall the team was really flat. Allowing two goals on giveaways in front of the net cost us. Add the stinker Halak gave up from Fraser plus the empty-netter when the game was over. Oilers only scored one good goal (Eberle), the rest of them were generous handouts from us. All teams have this kind of games in a season, but it's a bit frustrating to see them come year after year in Edmonton against the worst team in the League.

Even though we have a great record, we don't seem to be able to string more than 3 or maybe 4 wins together in a row. The good thing however, is that it usually takes a pretty bad game for the guys to lose. We've won almost every game in which we've been great/good/ok.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Glad Capuano called out the scoring and some players not taking this matchup seriously. They will bounce back, step off the ledge some of you.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Are we sure that wasn't CJ wearing a 41 jersey out there ? Sure looked like him.

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
What a horrifically embarrassing performance.

If you don't think this team is flawed think again. It's been better play, yes but also some luck and smoke and mirrors to get to this point.

I thought the Strome/Lee line had by far it's worst performance and the D was horrid.

Time to wake up fast and learn that any opponent can win any given game.

These Oilers out worked, out hustled and out played us the entire game. Lucky it wasn't 8-1.

It's time to sit some guys too starting with Grabovski and maybe even deHaan.

The second half of the season is coming with many games vs east. Fix whatever the problems are and quick. Vancouver is no pushover.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Glad Capuano called out the scoring and some players not taking this matchup seriously. They will bounce back, step off the ledge some of you.

The team has to be told that the coaching staff does not accept 90% efforts. Tavares, Martin, others said it was unacceptable but they accepted it when it was happening and the players didn't change the effort.
OK, so it isn't the end of the world. We beat teams that are very challenging like the Black Hawks and Red Wings. This is part of the maturation process of a pretty young team still learning how to close out wins and stomp on weaker opponents when they want the points.
By end of season they will be a much more polished unit, ready to handle everything. Play this game in late March-early April with something important on the line like making the top 3 in division or getting home ice, and you see a completely different effort and a much different result. This was what the Aussies call a walkabout.

As for Grabovski, his legs are going and he drives possession but is not scoring from that side. Do not forget how happy we were to even get a free agent forward with some credentials to sign here. At the time, it looked like other than Halak, our big signing was going to be Conacher.
Grabovski is a 50-ish point scorer who has always played center. We are playing him on LW which could be part of the problem. He is not scoring to his potential but we just do not have any room at center for him with the emergence of Brock Nelson. We may be better off long term (at least this year) by moving Nelson to a LW where he is very good, better than Garbo will be there, and moving Grabo to his natural center position where he is likely to succeed. But Cappy can be very stubborn and sees Brock as a center.

I really hope the players learned from this because they have a tougher match coming up in Vancouver, and no time to be down. Halak has to just get back on that horse and focus like he has before.

Last edited:

camper*

Not the time to sell the farm:shakehead
Oilers are not that good..and the Isles not that bad.

Halak was definately mentally tired...out of sorts..he near never stops and holds a puck behind the net..rather plays pucks very well...no doubt he blew two shots(angles)...the 40 footer with no traffic he was deeper than norm. in the net.
More troubling is the 1st lines inability to realize they are over extending shifts by a large margin...coasting thru shifts/lack of back check is causing them to save energy for rushes that never happen...slowing the play stick handling around perimeter traffic when entering the zone is killing momentum..causing teams to set up knowing the puck carrier is making it up as he goes often lofting 40 footers towards the net as a last resort(often getting picked off) .....not sure who falls down more these days Okie or Lee:laugh:
The 4th line is playing the strongest hockey by a large margin...their for check is punishing/def. styfulling yet the inability of smaller personel if in on the for check first cannot center passes...less shooting from everywhere Clutterbutt and more centering ability of a Strome would pay large dividends offensively....too many plays die in the Off. end from C/butts stick.
Team toi is about right..keep it there...lines 2-4 12-15 min produces best results..1st should never break 19....if they do its due to lax play....they are not 20 plus min players. someone mentioned Oils 1st line schooled the Tav line....agree :nod:....but the Oils 4th line did the same X2 just adding the physical element.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Typical trap game for the Isles. Woke up with 5 minutes left in the second down 2-1 and knew they were playing down to the level of the Oilers and they were likely going to lose based on who they were playing and the score. Got to see Cizikas take a moronic penalty as well.

From the highlights I saw that goals 1,2 and 5 were on Halak and 3 was on the D.

They sucked a fat one tonight. It happens. Time to move on and worry about Vancouver.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Some of you can remain out on the ledge and wring your hands over "a very flawed team" Got a newsflash.....every team is flawed, none are juggernauts like the early 80's Islanders and Oilers.
This is a very good Islanders team. They didn't show up to play for some reason, and when you do that in the NHL against any other team that wants it and is willing to battle, the chances are you are not good enough to win. That's why no team has ever gone 82-0.
This loss stings because it was a so-called "easy" game against one of the lottery bound, but when they reduce the effort by just a few % they and any team put themselves at risk.
This does not call for benching, blow ups, major changes on the ice. More focus, a will to win, and cleaner execution and they skate away with an easy win. It stings to lose, I am furious with them that they just don't make that effort, but hopefully that is part of the learning process.
I do expect a very different effort in Vancouver, the real NYI team. And if Grabner is in, it will not be because anyone is being punished. We just need to get him in game action. Cappy is saying there "may be" some line up changes for Vancouver so this is maybe one, possibly Dono resting Vis who has been a turnover machine.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Give the Oilers credit. In season where they are under fire from media and fans, they played a good game.
The isles overlooked them and paid for it.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

If you don't think this team is flawed think again. It's been better play, yes but also some luck and smoke and mirrors to get to this point.

I thought the Strome/Lee line had by far it's worst performance and the D was horrid.

These Oilers out worked, out hustled and out played us the entire game. Lucky it wasn't 8-1.

The second half of the season is coming with many games vs east. Fix whatever the problems are and quick. Vancouver is no pushover.

I'm sorry but you don't get half way through a season with their record with smoke and mirrors, this is a good team who played badly last night. It happens to everyone, this same Edmonton team beat Rangers in garden earlier this year.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Give the Oilers credit. In season where they are under fire from media and fans, they played a good game.
The isles overlooked them and paid for it.

I'm sure I'm the millionth person to say this, but how funny is it that the new York ****ing islanders are now overlooking opponents? On second thought, not funny...more like pathetic.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Some posters think this loss is the end of the world. Every team in the NHL loses to a lesser team than them, usually numerous times a season. This is the NHL, even the worst of teams are not pushovers, any team is capable of winning on any given night. The Oilers beat the Rangers earlier in the season, does that make the Rangers a flawed or a bad team? No, it just means the Oilers had a good game, the Rangers had a bad game, or both.

Team needs to move on from this one and be ready to "battle hahd" in Vancouver.

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island

Haha this one cracks me up.. we are out shooting most teams we play. Look at our record. We had a bad game. What is wrong with some of these fans

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm sure I'm the millionth person to say this, but how funny is it that the new York ****ing islanders are now overlooking opponents? On second thought, not funny...more like pathetic.

yeah, going in with 24/25 wins and playing a team with 8 wins, I do think they overlooked and underestimated the Oilers.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Some posters think this loss is the end of the world. Every team in the NHL loses to a lesser team than them, usually numerous times a season. This is the NHL, even the worst of teams are not pushovers, any team is capable of winning on any given night. The Oilers beat the Rangers earlier in the season, does that make the Rangers a flawed or a bad team? No, it just means the Oilers had a good game, the Rangers had a bad game, or both.

Teams lose...absolutely. But should a team at least show up? The nyi didn't bother to make the trip to Edmonton last night. THAT is what people are *****ing about...and they should!

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island

It really is pathetic. This board always finds ways to complain. Guess thats why i stay away from it as much as I do this year. Always something negative

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Some of you can remain out on the ledge and wring your hands over "a very flawed team" Got a newsflash.....every team is flawed, none are juggernauts like the early 80's Islanders and Oilers.
This is a very good Islanders team. They didn't show up to play for some reason, and when you do that in the NHL against any other team that wants it and is willing to battle, the chances are you are not good enough to win. That's why no team has ever gone 82-0.
This loss stings because it was a so-called "easy" game against one of the lottery bound, but when they reduce the effort by just a few % they and any team put themselves at risk.
This does not call for benching, blow ups, major changes on the ice. More focus, a will to win, and cleaner execution and they skate away with an easy win. It stings to lose, I am furious with them that they just don't make that effort, but hopefully that is part of the learning process.
I do expect a very different effort in Vancouver, the real NYI team. And if Grabner is in, it will not be because anyone is being punished. We just need to get him in game action. Cappy is saying there "may be" some line up changes for Vancouver so this is maybe one, possibly Dono resting Vis who has been a turnover machine.

Thank you for making sense.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I was 2-7 at the bookies in part because of your Isles. A monkey could have thrown darts and had a better record. Usually the Isles are money in the bank. Must be the weather in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad