Prospect Info: #36 Jesper Boqvist (C/W)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm thinking of the speed of Jesper Bratt and Jesper Boqvist on a line together.

I mean I like Bratt but I don't know if I'd go so far as to imagine these two together. I think Boqvist is a much better prospect. You may just be thinking of having two Jesper's on the same line :laugh:

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I like this pick, although it's a shame that Kole Lind didn't fall to our to hands. I think this pick (along with Zetterlund and Studenic) is extremely interesting. Lot's of skill, hopefully it will translate to the NHL.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I like this pick, although it's a shame that Kole Lind didn't fall to our to hands. I think this pick (along with Zetterlund and Studenic) is extremely interesting. Lot's of skill, hopefully it will translate to the NHL.

The good thing about high skill picks is if one does hit they should make a large impact.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I feel like I need to pump the brakes on this pick but on the other I feel like more Devils fans need to be excited about this pick. For the question marks he may have, Boqvist has undeniable skills. I am super excited to watch his development. I think he has potential to make GM's and fans alike think "how'd we miss this guy?"

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think when he physically fills out he will have less hesitation to go to the net-front areas.
That is a slight knock on him now from some pundits.

However, he has tremendous skills/speed and hockey sense.

I'm stoked to follow his development.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
It was a passing comment on a podcast but Jeff Marek was running through the back end of his mock draft and said, "At 28 I had Jesper Boqvist, who I still think should have gone in the first round."

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
It was a passing comment on a podcast but Jeff Marek was running through the back end of his mock draft and said, "At 28 I had Jesper Boqvist, who I still think should have gone in the first round."

In some ways NJ got three 1st round talents in Hischier, Boqvist, and Popugaev.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Didn't realize just how efficient Boqvist was in the SHL this year in a limited role. He finished the year with a p/60 (all situations) of 2.76. Compare that with Lias Andersson who was at 1.8 p/60. We also know that Andersson got PP time since he had 2 pp goals. I doubt Boqvist got any. Not saying he's a better prospect, but very interesting at how good he was in his limited time there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Didn't realize just how efficient Boqvist was in the SHL this year in a limited role. He finished the year with a p/60 (all situations) of 2.76. Compare that with Lias Andersson who was at 1.8 p/60. We also know that Andersson got PP time since he had 2 pp goals. I doubt Boqvist got any. Not saying he's a better prospect, but very interesting at how good he was in his limited time there.

Meh, Andersson played 42 games scored 9 goals and added 10 assists compared to Boqvist's 16 gp's with zero goals and 6 assists.

Then factor in playoffs where Boqvist played 10 games and had 1 goal and zero assists, while Andersson scored 4 goals and added an assist in 16 playoff games.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Meh, Andersson played 42 games scored 9 goals and added 10 assists compared to Boqvist's 16 gp's with zero goals and 6 assists.

Then factor in playoffs where Boqvist played 10 games and had 1 goal and zero assists, while Andersson scored 4 goals and added an assist in 16 playoff games.

Can't compare since they play in much different leagues.

Both players are promising.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Yea, there's no arguing the two are in different tiers of prospects. But to his point, he's just saying that Boqvist's underlying numbers compare well not his actual stats. So the fact that he has much lower raw totals than Andersson makes sense. It's the hope that with a jump in minutes we'll see the rise in his raw numbers.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

ANDERSSON was picked at 7 and is much more physically developed. Give Boquist some time to fill out before you dismiss him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
ANDERSSON was picked at 7 and is much more physically developed. Give Boquist some time to fill out before you dismiss him.

Andersson (Rags) is much more NHL ready and has the higher floor.

Boqvist will be in Sweden one more season minimum, maybe 2, he has to get stronger/bigger but IMO he has the higher ceiling than Andersson.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

You completely missed his point.

Andersson got PP time and a lot more ice time than Boqvist. Andersson is also a lot more polished which is likely why he got that time versus a smaller, skilled guy like Boqvist.

Obviously Andersson playing an important role on a SHL team as a draft eligible player is very impressive, but Boqvist's production when looked at as a production rate shows real potential for a diamond in the rough pick.

Regardless, they're not good prospects to compare to each other. They're very different types of players who will fulfill very different roles. Andersson looks to be your reliable all-situations player whereas Boqvist has the potential to be an offensive force.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
He's playing in da beauty league in Minny this summer. Random but doesn't hurt to play with/against a bunch of NHL'ers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad