Prospect Info: #36 Jesper Boqvist (C/W)

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'll give you this might be the wrong thread, but I just asked a simple question and I got a smug response when all I wanted to know is if he is now nothing more than a throw in on a TDL trade since it's obvious he is not their #7 D-man even if that was the intention back in October. It should have been a simple question to answer and it would have been one and done.

Colton White playing game #22 tonight while the #7 D-man and the rest of the active 9 Devils D-men are scratched.

The Devils might trade Severson and Subban at the deadline in which case they definitely need an RHD and Jaros is that. He's fallen to 8th on the depth chart now. I do not expect him to be moved at the deadline but I do anticipate him playing a lot more after it, and I would be shocked if he were put on waivers.

Had you posted this in the right thread to begin with, I would've answered.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
He is quickly interesting me in a future 3rd line role on this team, maybe fourth line. I dont believe it should be at center though

As desperately as we need a 3C, I think he should be on the LW

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He is quickly interesting me in a future 3rd line role on this team, maybe fourth line. I dont believe it should be at center though

As desperately as we need a 3C, I think he should be on the LW
I think he’s much better off as a Center and he hasn’t fared well on the wing in the past. With his style of skating and game he fits more as a Center IMO.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Devils might trade Severson and Subban at the deadline in which case they definitely need an RHD and Jaros is that. He's fallen to 8th on the depth chart now. I do not expect him to be moved at the deadline but I do anticipate him playing a lot more after it, and I would be shocked if he were put on waivers.

Had you posted this in the right thread to begin with, I would've answered.

Thank you.

I didn't realize you guys were so committed to the specific topic in a thread. I have read many threads here that have gravitated way off topic, but I'll try to do better in the future.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
I think he’s much better off as a Center and he hasn’t fared well on the wing in the past. With his style of skating and game he fits more as a Center IMO.
Well then perhaps the fit isn't a good one here, IMO

We already have Jack in our top-6 winning a mere 32% of his faceoffs. I know theres a sector of the hockey world that poopoos them, but you cant have two guys in your lineup winning under a very low 35%. And its tough to have wingers supplant that on multiple lines

Its not like hes some stud defensively either, so I dont see why he has to be a center. This isnt a player of Jack's caliber who you keep there because they make it hard for you not to and demand the center of the ice

I dont see why he cant hang on wing either considering most of his positive puck possession in transition is coming down the boards with speed. Hes a Miles Wood-esque player minus the grit, a speedy well-rounded skater whos able to make plays off bad bounces, play the boards, and enter the zone/chase the puck with good efficacy

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Well then perhaps the fit isn't a good one here, IMO

We already have Jack in our top-6 winning a mere 32% of his faceoffs. I know theres a sector of the hockey world that poopoos them, but you cant have two guys in your lineup winning under a very low 35%. And its tough to have wingers supplant that on multiple lines

Its not like hes some stud defensively either, so I dont see why he has to be a center. This isnt a player of Jack's caliber who you keep there because they make it hard for you not to and demand the center of the ice

I dont see why he cant hang on wing either considering most of his positive puck possession in transition is coming down the boards with speed. Hes a Miles Wood-esque player minus the grit, a speedy well-rounded skater whos able to make plays off bad bounces, play the boards, and enter the zone/chase the puck with good efficacy
The Miles Wood comparison has to be one of the worst comparisons I’ve ever seen. Wood is an explosive straight line skater. Boqvist isn’t nearly as explosive but has good carry over speed and good edges. Once he gets going he can get to very good speeds but he’s not an explosive stops and starts kind of skater like Wood at all and he has a lot more offensive skill and a lot less grit and physicality. I also don’t think we should be getting rid of guys or not playing them at center because at 20 and 23 years old they aren’t great on faceoffs. FYI Jack isn’t even taking many faceoffs. He took 4 tonight. His wingers are taking more.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
The Miles Wood comparison has to be one of the worst comparisons I’ve ever seen. Wood is an explosive straight line skater. Boqvist isn’t nearly as explosive but has good carry over speed and good edges. Once he gets going he can get to very good speeds but he’s not an explosive stops and starts kind of skater like Wood at all and he has a lot more offensive skill and a lot less grit and physicality. I also don’t think we should be getting rid of guys or not playing them at center because at 20 and 23 years old they aren’t great on faceoffs. FYI Jack isn’t even taking many faceoffs. He took 4 tonight. His wingers are taking more.
Just because they're different in what they do well skating doesnt change that both fly down the boards with the puck on numerous occasions; it seems like a bit of hyperbole to say its one of the worst youve heard lol.

As I described them, they are not that far off in how they effect the game; just because Boqvist is a more capable skater doesnt mean hes translated it yet to any form of feared skater in the center of the ice

Most of his damage has been done down the wings and in the zone grinding, as does Miles Wood. Hence the comparison and why I dont think Boqvist has to be a center

also what wingers are taking them for Boqvist then? And why cant they play center?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think Boqvist has a future on this team at all. Hate to say it, but it's true

he isn’t guaranteed anything but his play is improving so it’s hard to say what happens until he’s hit his peak and you see what the rest of the team looks like. Boquist between two big strong wingers who get the puck and play good defense might be ok. Boquist between two small limited guys who more or less do the same thing he does isn’t a great spot for him.

Reactions: mdj12784

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
Ultimately his skillset is redundant at the center position and does not fit the role of the type of 3c this team needs. I do think there is potentially value in holding on to him beyond next season for when Johnsson and Tatar are gone but to make it with the devils he’ll need to make it as a winger (likely a 3rd line winger who can complement a more physical 3c and 3w). I am also not opposed to trading him for said players or even packaging him for the right type of defenseman.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If Boqvist continues to play well, that 3C spot should be his. His current run of strong play isn’t just points, he’s been one of the best forwards on the team at driving play, and that’s with two wingers that everyone seems to think are dead weight.

The last thing this team needs is a Lamoriello-esque “veteran 3rd line center” who comes in and scores 9 points all season, is mysteriously porous defensively, but starts an argument every other game because he hustles and wins faceoffs and leads the team in PK TOI. I wouldn’t say no to an upgrade at center, but I don’t think easy to upgrade a 30-40pt cheap play-driving center with wheels.

And lastly i don’t think it’s a coincidence that Boqvist spends some extended time centering Johnsson and suddenly turns the corner.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm 50/50 on Boqvist. If he finishes the season with pretty decent production on the whole year, I'd be willing to give him a permanent role next year on the 3rd line.

There were at least a few people that wanted him to be the 3C to start this year back in the offseason. I could not get behind it then, but I can now, provided he doesn't completely fall off by year's end.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ultimately his skillset is redundant at the center position and does not fit the role of the type of 3c this team needs. I do think there is potentially value in holding on to him beyond next season for when Johnsson and Tatar are gone but to make it with the devils he’ll need to make it as a winger (likely a 3rd line winger who can complement a more physical 3c and 3w). I am also not opposed to trading him for said players or even packaging him for the right type of defenseman.
What kind of 3c do we need? Some dude that can't even put up any points, but can kill penalties and win faceoffs?

You need 3rd line players to be able to produce 30 points a year and that was actually why I was NOT a believer in Boqvist. Because Boqvist just didn't score enough, especially in his first 60-something games in the league. I think Boqvist with this year's production is a fine 3rd line player, but there's only a question if he can maintain that or not.

Reactions: Mgd31

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
For me it’s either 3c or bust for him and his future on the team.
I doubted it before this season but lately he has looked like he might be able to hold down that 3c role for now.
If a player like Trocheck could be signed , the yes I’d say he is expendable but for now he is doing a “decent -good” job at 3c as of late.

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
What kind of 3c do we need? Some dude that can't even put up any points, but can kill penalties and win faceoffs?

You need 3rd line players to be able to produce 30 points a year and that was actually why I was NOT a believer in Boqvist. Because Boqvist just didn't score enough, especially in his first 60-something games in the league. I think Boqvist with this year's production is a fine 3rd line player, but there's only a question if he can maintain that or not.

Ideally you’d have all 3 in one. There are players like that who are out there and are still affordable. Nicolas Roy would be a prime candidate in my opinion.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Boqvist looks like a guy who started to realize his dream was slipping away if he didn't grab it by the horns. Or maybe he had a conversation with someone saying as much. He has less than 100 GP. Sometimes it takes a minute to carve a role, especially for a guy who may have felt like more of an offensive player coming into the league.

A lot of the physicality and two way play that people are looking for is just something that happens with time and experience. Nico is starting to look like a man, he's gotten more relentless in his checking. My bet is Boqvist is capable of owning the 3C role, might just need some time.

But I'm all for getting a vet on the wing or at center and seeing if Boqvist can make that player redundant.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

I actually think the Devils are looking for a "top 9" as opposed "top 6" - "bottom 6" in the future. If Mikey is here long term the team has 2 C's they can put out to take a key defensive FO. I think 30 points is probably a little light for what they want from their 3C long term.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Jesper Boqvist is starting to look like he can succeed as the Devils third-line center. This would be huge, as it would allow Dawson Mercer to stay on the RW in the top 6. Now, all NJ needs to do is get Boqvist some upgrades on his wings.
adding a free agent veteran in the mold of tatar can make sense. but trading prospects and futures has to be really well evaluated.

i really hope the devils try to grow organically until they are a po team. aside from rhd and goalie the nhl roster and pipeline are setup well with a lot of different options. the one scarce ingredient among the forwards is size. once the current core has developed into a po team, the actual needs and the available surplus will be more obvious. closing current roster gaps with futures might result in future roster gaps.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Take away the first 13 games of the year where Sharangovich stumbled out of the gate and was without a goal, and in 34 games he has 13 goals, 12 assists and 25 points. That's a 32 goal, 31 assist, 63 point pace over a full season. As it is just his second season, I'd have to say Sharangovich might be the answer here.

As far as the Nico/Bratt line, I'd say Holtz sure makes a lot of sense there next year.
i don't like the part, where you cut off certain games to create an even smaller sample size for a better pace.

but i agree sharangovich will turn 24 during the summer and has shown enough potential to be a complementary piece to hughes and mercer. like every team the devils won't have enough cap space to ice 20 superstars on nightly basis. in certain places you have to survive with cheaper options. if sharangovich can be a 20 - 25 goal scorer in the top 6 for around 4m cap hit, this would be a win for the devils.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
For me it’s either 3c or bust for him and his future on the team.
I doubted it before this season but lately he has looked like he might be able to hold down that 3c role for now.
If a player like Trocheck could be signed , the yes I’d say he is expendable but for now he is doing a “decent -good” job at 3c as of late.
i don't get this.

the 3c role is already locked down by hischier. so it's 2c or bust unless he can take wide turns around hughes and unseat him as the 1c. :sarcasm:

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Boqvist right now is looking like what we thought he would (=should) have looked in his first two seasons. He was a good prospect and looked amazing in the SHL. I think it's more likely it just took him longer to figure things out and will now only get better, than that he is somehow just over performing right now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Boqvist right now is looking like what we thought he would (=should) have looked in his first two seasons. He was a good prospect and looked amazing in the SHL. I think it's more likely it just took him longer to figure things out and will now only get better, than that he is somehow just over performing right now.

I think the question is the increased urgency in his game. To me, he looks like he is more engaged physically than he used to be. He's not just playing on the perimeter. It's made a difference. Just look at how he drove to the net the past couple of games and that pass he made to Dr. Evil while he was getting pinned against the wall. He wouldn't have tried those things in the past. He can play at his current level and maybe a bit better as long as he is willing to pay that price. The issue is that it is not innate to him and will he be willing to grind the way he has when he has not had to do that previously?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00