Prospect Info: #36 Jesper Boqvist (C/W)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
His progression has been a huge reason for the scoring boost the last month or so.

Would be incredible for this team to have the option of Boqvist or Mercer behind Hischier-Hughes.

I do wonder if Boqvist becomes a trade chip though. Speedy center with some untapped scoring potential is definitely something teams covet.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I really liked what I saw from Boqvist at center at the end of last year. Glad to see how well he has played in 2022 after the rough start. He is the opposite of a lot of young forwards who struggle at center and then blossom after being shifted to wing. He really has never looked good on the wing and has blossomed when he has gotten consistent playing time at center.

I really hope he is able to keep this up because it allows the team to shift Mercer to RW, and I really prefer his game at RW over center.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
His progression has been a huge reason for the scoring boost the last month or so.

Would be incredible for this team to have the option of Boqvist or Mercer behind Hischier-Hughes.

I do wonder if Boqvist becomes a trade chip though. Speedy center with some untapped scoring potential is definitely something teams covet.
I don’t care who we have as center I want Mercer on the wing and have been rooting for it all season. Glad that Boqvist is helping keep him there now obviously as well as his improved offensive success.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Having a good option for 3C is massive. Enabling Mercer to play with Jack will help both their play. Just need one more winger for Jack and Nico now.
???? Hughes Mercer
Bratt Nico ???

Holtz hopefully on one of those lines next year.
Leaving one spot open that I’d like to add . Ideally on the line that doesn’t have Mercer on it . I think Mercer is good enough at puck retrieval and can play a gritty style . Id like a gritty , net front presence on wing for the other line.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Boqvist becoming a competent middle-six player would be huge for the Devils organizationally. I'm still pretty skeptical he's more than a fringe NHLer long-term, but if he continues his play, it would give the Devils a ton of flexibility next year with Jack, Nico, and Mcleod already down the middle (plus Mercer as an option).

If Boqvist isn't for real, a legit 3C becomes a need.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Having a good option for 3C is massive. Enabling Mercer to play with Jack will help both their play. Just need one more winger for Jack and Nico now.
???? Hughes Mercer
Bratt Nico ???

Holtz hopefully on one of those lines next year.
Leaving one spot open that I’d like to add . Ideally on the line that doesn’t have Mercer on it . I think Mercer is good enough at puck retrieval and can play a gritty style . Id like a gritty , net front presence on wing for the other line.

Take away the first 13 games of the year where Sharangovich stumbled out of the gate and was without a goal, and in 34 games he has 13 goals, 12 assists and 25 points. That's a 32 goal, 31 assist, 63 point pace over a full season. As it is just his second season, I'd have to say Sharangovich might be the answer here.

As far as the Nico/Bratt line, I'd say Holtz sure makes a lot of sense there next year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Take away the first 13 games of the year where Sharangovich stumbled out of the gate and was without a goal, and in 34 games he has 13 goals, 12 assists and 25 points. That's a 32 goal, 31 assist, 63 point pace over a full season. As it is just his second season, I'd have to say Sharangovich might be the answer here.

As far as the Nico/Bratt line, I'd say Holtz sure makes a lot of sense there next year.

It’s hard to see how the lines work if Holtz plays with Nico. Nico is often used as a matchup center and I am not sure that would be fair to a rookie in Holtz. I’d think Bratt and Mercer would work with Hischier as Mercer can probably play a matchup game and Bratt is experienced enough and can make it work even if it isn’t ideal. Shara with Hughes is working well as the season goes along and as part of an offensive line I’d think that might be a better short term fit for Holtz assuming they don’t start Holtz on a third line.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jaros was never supposed to be anything. He was brought in as the 7D. I don't know why you ever expected anything to begin with

Did you read what I typed? I said "others said" and I recounted what those thoughts were.

He's not injured and White and Geertsten, the 8th and 9th D have been playing, not Jaros.

Thus, is the "trade add on" a likely outcome for him. It's obvious he is not high on the list of spare D to get ice time.
Smith was scratched.
No one is mentioned on the list of 9d being carried as injured. They are carrying 9 D-men on the active roster and game day minimum 12 forwards with Geersten as a swing D/F.

White gets the nod ahead of Jaros again last night as has been happening a lot. White 21GP and Jaros 7GP. Was Jaros injured when White got all of these games? Is it all handedness?
I thought Jaros has played both sides at times during his career.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It’s hard to see how the lines work if Holtz plays with Nico. Nico is often used as a matchup center and I am not sure that would be fair to a rookie in Holtz. I’d think Bratt and Mercer would work with Hischier as Mercer can probably play a matchup game and Bratt is experienced enough and can make it work even if it isn’t ideal. Shara with Hughes is working well as the season goes along and as part of an offensive line I’d think that might be a better short term fit for Holtz assuming they don’t start Holtz on a third line.

Well, it's safe to say that Boqvist needs an upgrade in his linemates and Holtz would represent this while making the line more offensively dangerous on the whole.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Boqvist is the type of player that Shero went draft heavy on. He isn't elite at anything but it a well rounded somewhat light player. It seemed he was going to not be a future piece to this team earlier this year and last season. We really messed with this kids development the last few seasons. He has had to play under 3 different head coaches , has had to play as a center and a wing , was yoyo-ed between the AHL and NHL for 3 straight seasons and to top it off has had to play with some bad players in a bottom 6 role. He is making the most of the opportunity this year and I'm glad to see it. Hopefully he sticks it out and keeps improving. If he gets sent down I wouldn't be suprised if he asks for a trade privately this summer because this kid needs a fair shake weather it's here or on another team.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Boqvist is the type of player that Shero went draft heavy on. He isn't elite at anything but it a well rounded somewhat light player. It seemed he was going to not be a future piece to this team earlier this year and last season. We really messed with this kids development the last few seasons. He has had to play under 3 different head coaches , has had to play as a center and a wing , was yoyo-ed between the AHL and NHL for 3 straight seasons and to top it off has had to play with some bad players in a bottom 6 role. He is making the most of the opportunity this year and I'm glad to see it. Hopefully he sticks it out and keeps improving. If he gets sent down I wouldn't be suprised if he asks for a trade privately this summer because this kid needs a fair shake weather it's here or on another team.

Boqvist will have to clear waivers to get sent down.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Did you read what I typed? I said "others said" and I recounted what those thoughts were.

He's not injured and White and Geertsten, the 8th and 9th D have been playing, not Jaros.

Thus, is the "trade add on" a likely outcome for him. It's obvious he is not high on the list of spare D to get ice time.
Smith was scratched.
No one is mentioned on the list of 9d being carried as injured. They are carrying 9 D-men on the active roster and game day minimum 12 forwards with Geersten as a swing D/F.

White gets the nod ahead of Jaros again last night as has been happening a lot. White 21GP and Jaros 7GP. Was Jaros injured when White got all of these games? Is it all handedness?
I thought Jaros has played both sides at times during his career.

woukd Jaros require waivers? NJ has used him on and off as a right handed injury replacement and he started the season ok but fell off over time. NJ has sat on Geersten all season as well. With Studenic being claimed off waivers they are probably a bit gunshy of trying to sneak someone through.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Boqvist is an elite skater.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Hopefully he sticks it out and keeps improving. If he gets sent down I wouldn't be suprised if he asks for a trade privately this summer because this kid needs a fair shake weather it's here or on another team.
I doubt he would get sent down this year. One of the main questions IMO the team has to answer is if he is capable of playing 3C in the NHL They are not going to find that out in Utica.

If he got waived I could see a non-[layoff team picking him up to see him the rest of the year. He is an RFA next year so if the team does not like they just do not have to offer him a contract.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Tatar and Johnsson are fine linemates for Boqvist. They’ve been excellent in their limited time together. 57 CF%, 3 GF 0 GA, 70 HDCF%. Not a huge sample but Johnsson and Tatar are more than fine 3rd liners.
I get Tatar has relatively good possession metrics, but I'm just not a fan of him on the team. Unfortunately he has another year so we are likely stuck with him, but I'd like to see us upgrade over him at some point.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Tatar and Johnsson are fine linemates for Boqvist. They’ve been excellent in their limited time together. 57 CF%, 3 GF 0 GA, 70 HDCF%. Not a huge sample but Johnsson and Tatar are more than fine 3rd liners.

I'll give them both credit for being adequate defensively, but neither of Tatar or Johnsson are effective at all down low or in the opposing crease, and neither can produce any offensive whatsoever except in space. Right now they're both basically "guys" out there, but it would be nice to have a third line which can soften the opposing defense and create match-up problems for the opposition. If Boqvist had a winger out there creating space and winning battles down low, I feel he could really blossom as a secondary scorer.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'll give them both credit for being adequate defensively, but neither of Tatar or Johnsson are effective at all down low or in the opposing crease, and neither can produce any offensive whatsoever except in space. Right now they're both basically "guys" out there, but it would be nice to have a third line which can soften the opposing defense and create match-up problems for the opposition. If Boqvist had a winger out there creating space and winning battles down low, I feel he could really blossom as a secondary scorer.

I have no issues with them both playing out their deals here on the 3rd line. If we were to upgrade then give me NUKE. Nichuskin-Boqvist-Tatar/Johnsson looks pretty good to me assuming Boqvist can continue his great run of play. Unfortunately he'll probably be overpaid big time since his pt totals exploded this year

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
woukd Jaros require waivers? NJ has used him on and off as a right handed injury replacement and he started the season ok but fell off over time. NJ has sat on Geersten all season as well. With Studenic being claimed off waivers they are probably a bit gunshy of trying to sneak someone through.

I am not advocating anything in regards to Jaros. I simply inquired what the deal is. The guy has played 7 games. I'm told he was acquired to be the 7th D and it's been far from that. He seems to be totally unnecessary. If he were to be claimed off waivers, it appears management would be free of his contract. They don't seem to feel he is a valuable commodity anyways. I am not thinking what a great piece he would be for the Comets. Just the opposite thought actually. He would disrupt what has worked out OK so far. White is the guy that was helping out in a positive way. He also appears to be the NJ choice as the extra D.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t know if the team is completely to blame here. He got screwed by the 2019-20 AHL team shutting down in early March. He was sent down only got settled and started producing in mid February. A run to the playoffs and doing so damage in them would have been nice (yes, I’m still bitter lol).

And the 2020-21 season was a shortened clusterf*** in the NHL and fake bullshit in the AHL. The bs aspect in the AHL was beneficial for a small number homeless signed juniors players and was detrimental to everyone else.

I think those seasons were detrimental to younger players in general and people shouldn’t be surprised when player development takes longer.

If you’re wondering during the 2021-22 season:

2010 draft eligible: age 29/1992 (U30) & age 30

2011 draft eligible: age 28/1993 (U29) & age 29

2012 draft eligible: age 27/1994 (U28) & age 28

2013 draft eligible: age 26/1995 (U27) & age 27

2014 draft eligible: age 25/1996 (U26) & age 26

2015 draft eligible: age 24/1997 (U25) & age 25

2016 draft eligible: age 23/1998 (U24) & age 24

2017 draft eligible: age 22/1999 (U23) & age 23 [Boqvist is 1998.]

2018 draft eligible: age 21/2000 (U22) & age 22

2019 draft eligible: age 20/2001 (U21) & age 21

2020 draft eligible: age 19/2002 (U20) & age 20

2021 draft eligible: age 18/2003 (U20) & age 19

And in Boqvist’s case, expecting a guy who turned 23 last October to be a solid 3C is a bit much even under normal circumstances. He’s going to be a work in progress at best, you just want improvement.

I doubt Boqvist is disappointed too much if he keeps playing and they re-sign him. If he keeps scoring he’s up for a small raise too.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I am not advocating anything in regards to Jaros. I simply inquired what the deal is. The guy has played 7 games. I'm told he was acquired to be the 7th D and it's been far from that. He seems to be totally unnecessary. If he were to be claimed off waivers, it appears management would be free of his contract. They don't seem to feel he is a valuable commodity anyways. I am not thinking what a great piece he would be for the Comets. Just the opposite thought actually. He would disrupt what has worked out OK so far. White is the guy that was helping out in a positive way. He also appears to be the NJ choice as the extra D.
This is way too much energy to dedicate to Christian Jaros, especially in a Boqvist thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is way too much energy to dedicate to Christian Jaros, especially in a Boqvist thread

I'll give you this might be the wrong thread, but I just asked a simple question and I got a smug response when all I wanted to know is if he is now nothing more than a throw in on a TDL trade since it's obvious he is not their #7 D-man even if that was the intention back in October. It should have been a simple question to answer and it would have been one and done.

Colton White playing game #22 tonight while the #7 D-man and the rest of the active 9 Devils D-men are scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad