3 Goal differentials in the last 73 games to open your eyes

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Can't believe we're still discussing this. Plus minus is a horrendous stat and the way the op has utilized this piece of data is specious at best

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can't believe we're still discussing this. Plus minus is a horrendous stat and the way the op has utilized this piece of data is specious at best
Haha I actually take it further than most. I add in powerplay points or subtract them in Letang's case. It provides a fuller example of what the team is getting. There is always a defensemen on every team that is going to get powerplay points. Plug just about any d man into that role and they will get points. Letang has 13 powerplay points. Without those he is a 10 point defensemen at this stage of the season. Cole had 26 points last season with little or no powerplay time. That should give you an indication of how over rated Letang is and how under appreciated Cole is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Haha I actually take it further than most. I add in powerplay points or subtract them in Letang's case. It provides a fuller example of what the team is getting. There is always a defensemen on every team that is going to get powerplay points. Plug just about any d man into that role and they will get points. Letang has 13 powerplay points. Without those he is a 10 point defensemen at this stage of the season. Cole had 26 points last season with little or no powerplay time. That should give you an indication of how over rated Letang is and how under appreciated Cole is.

Yeah, you’re right Ian Cole would be one point off the league lead for defensemen if we just played him on the power play.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I did not say that. I would however have tried Cole on the powerplay more than Sullivan ever has or would. In fact I would increase his responsibility and would have most of his career. I think he is a lot better than the opportunity he has had to this point. I understand how that stuff plays out but it isn't right. I however, would do what the team did last year that had success. The only player really missing is Daly and he was just one of the guys on the back end. In reality that is the answer. Make Letang just one of the guys back there until he deserves top minutes.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I suggest you brush up on statistics 101 because your data manipulation is cranking out what you WANT it to

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I suggest you brush up on statistics 101 because your data manipulation is cranking out what you WANT it to
Exactly, my data is what determines real player value. In Letangs case this season he is a -12 with 13 power play points. Take those powerplay points away and he has 10 points on the season. Plenty of d men around the league with plus numbers better than Letang and 10 points. Heck Robert Brotuzzo has 5 points and is a plus 1 with no power play points. and he did that in about half of the ice time of Letang. Letang is just not worth the money or tjhe ice time at this stage. Joel Edmundson has 12 points with no power play points and is plus 3. I would take him over Letang any day on my team. Any hockey player is better with a man advantage. Its the guys who can score at even strength that I value.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Exactly, my data is what determines real player value. In Letangs case this season he is a -12 with 13 power play points. Take those powerplay points away and he has 10 points on the season. Plenty of d men around the league with plus numbers better than Letang and 10 points. Heck Robert Brotuzzo has 5 points and is a plus 1 with no power play points. and he did that in about half of the ice time of Letang. Letang is just not worth the money or tjhe ice time at this stage. Joel Edmundson has 12 points with no power play points and is plus 3. I would take him over Letang any day on my team. Any hockey player is better with a man advantage. Its the guys who can score at even strength that I value.

Ok you take your team of Bortuzzo's/Edmunson's and I'll take my team of Letangs. I'd beat you 9 out of 10 times

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ok you take your team of Bortuzzo's/Edmunson's and I'll take my team of Letangs. I'd beat you 9 out of 10 times
I doubt it. I few years ago and I would say yes you would but not this season. Minus 12 projecting to a minus 30 is terrible for a d man getting the money Letang gets. I just used Bortuzzo so you could see just how bad Letang has fallen as a former Norris candidate. Borts is sheet on a stick but I'll take the plus minus over Letang's anyday. Again plus minus is directly related to goal differential which is directly related to wins and losses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad