• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Question is, how badly do the Habs want Lindstrom? Do they move up to get him or will they be happy with whoever falls to them?

A run on D by teams picking 2-4 would be a godsend.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
CBJ is the pivot of the draft IMO, if they pick Silayev like the report says it would open the draft, even if ANA pick a FWD and Levshunov drops
I just don't see how they do not draft a dman. On the forwards side they have Marchenko, Chinakhov, Fantalli, Brindley, Johnson, Sillinger. They still need to add forwards but that's something they can do next year.

On the defense they have what? Jiricek and Mateychuk. The rest of their dmen prospect are not very good. Yes they have a potent defense in the NHL but all those guys will be deadline trades before they are readt to win as they are all 26 and up.

They'll imo draft a dman this year. Keep loosing and draft a forward next season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Listening to Preds scout Jean-Philippe Glaude (an @Vachon23 favorite) who is an 11-year scout with the Preds, he states like many others have, that this draft, there is no consensus after the 1st pick (and sheds some light on Lindstrom and Iginla, among others).

Which makes Iginla a possibility, esp. if Demidov and Lindstrom are off the table at Pick 5.

Some attributes:

- serious, good work ethic
- explosive
- natural goal scorer
- good frame (6’, 186 lbs at age 17)
- disciplined
- has likely mental makeup to play in fishbowl market
- prepped by father in the off season, optimally trained, always looking to improve

At this point, not that worried if Demidov and Lindstrom are not available to the Habs.
I wouldn't be upset with Iginla.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Question is, how badly do the Habs want Lindstrom? Do they move up to get him or will they be happy with whoever falls to them?

I think they'll chat to Anaheim about 3, especially if Chicago goes with Levshunov at 2. But that would be to secure Demidov. If Demidov is gone, then I think you sit there and hope CBJ is going with Silayev.

Because paying to go to 3 to get Lindstrom is a bit rich and if CBJ ruins your day by going Lindstrom, we will get good offers to slide down and just take Iginla or Sennecke who we should have an opportunity to pick one of the two and get paid to do it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think they'll chat to Anaheim about 3, especially if Chicago goes with Levshunov at 2. But that would be to secure Demidov. If Demidov is gone, then I think you sit there and hope CBJ is going with Silayev.

Because paying to go to 3 to get Lindstrom is a bit rich and if CBJ ruins your day by going Lindstrom, we will get good offers to slide down and just take Iginla or Sennecke who we should have an opportunity to pick one of the two and get paid to do it.
I much prefer Iginla over Sennecke. Moving down would not be an option for me as there is a real risk they’ll lose out on Iginla and from what I’m reading, he’s tailor made for our market.

Like @sheed36 mentioned elsewhere, I wouldn’t put it past Calgary to jump in and make a deal with whoever is ahead of the Habs after they’ll have slid.

Otherwise, agreed to move up for Demidov if an opening presents itself.

Only question I’d have about Iginla is whether he can be developed as a C, but only as a point of interest — not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Listening to Preds scout Jean-Philippe Glaude (a @Vachon23 favorite) who is an 11-year scout with the Preds, he states like many others have, that this draft, there is no consensus after the 1st pick (and sheds some light on Lindstrom and Iginla, among others).

Which makes Iginla a possibility, esp. if Demidov and Lindstrom are off the table at Pick 5.

Some attributes:

- serious, good work ethic
- explosive
- natural goal scorer
- good frame (6’, 186 lbs at age 17)
- disciplined
- has likely mental makeup to play in fishbowl market
- prepped by father in the off season, optimally trained, always looking to improve

At this point, not that worried if Demidov and Lindstrom are not available to the Habs.
He sounds like Suzuki.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I much prefer Iginla over Sennecke. Moving down would not be an option for me as there is a real risk they’ll lose out on Iginla and from what I’m reading, he’s tailor made for our market.

Like @sheed36 mentioned elsewhere, I wouldn’t put it past Calgary to jump in and make a deal with whoever is ahead of the Habs after they’ll have slid.

Otherwise, agreed to move up for Demidov if an opening presents itself.

Only question I’d have about Iginla is whether he can be developed as a C.

It really comes down to the preference of the Habs and the sense I get is that they are high on Sennecke and he fits the profile of what they like. There's always a risk in moving down but you're always doing it with a number of players you are comfortable with picking.

One thing we know is that this regime is really good, so far, at identifying the board and who is picking ahead and behind.

They wanted Hutson and didn't trade up because they were confident they'd get him. Reinbacher they knew they couldn't trade back or Arizona would take him.

As far as Iginla at C, no, he really took off when they got him off that spot. He's also just not a gifted playmaker, that's a big thing for centers and his handling skill is good in tight spots but he exposes the puck too much in the middle of the ice.

Even Lindstrom I think projects more to the wing.

Personally, Iginla and Sennecke feel a little bit rich at 5. If you slide back from 5 to allow Ottawa to jump up and grab a defenseman, you still get Iginla and/or Sennecke at 7. So it's nice to be paid to get one of those talents and have the ammunition to move up.

Sennecke and MBN feels a lot better than Iginla and Ritchie, for example.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Imagine having two top 12 picks in this draft? Would be amazing.
Sennecke seems to skate better than Iginla, has good dangles and good passing skills. And yet, he seems to have a great shot too. If we could use our draft capital and trade bait to get both, I think they would make a killer line with Dach.

• Love
Reactions: HabbyGuy

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Neither will top 10 drafting teams, they’re all seeing his progress.

The question is, does Sennecke slip past 10 and will Hughes have a contingency plan if he does.

Imagine Lindstrom/ Sennecke or Iginla/ Sennecke as Habs selections coming out of the first round.
That sir, is how you rebuild a team.

Sennecke seems to skate better than Iginla, has good dangles and good passing skills. And yet, he seems to have a great shot too. If we could use our draft capital and trade bait to get both, I think they would make a killer line with Dach.
It would be killer line with any of our centers.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

I'm thinking it would be costly to move up. but we certainly have the capital do do it. I'm all for it! Do your thing Hughes!!

Just don't use Guhle to do it. Mailloux is fine if need be.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Other teams will be thinking the same thing though, so it'll be quite hard to trade for another top 15 pick.
After watching the war that is the Florida/Boston series, I can really see Hughes taking Sennecke if Lindstrom goes early. Some of my senior hockey staff are saying not to be surprised if Sennecke goes before 5 OA.

They know more than I do. But they also said that Parekh would be going in the top ten. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to be wrong.

But much can change over the next 6 weeks as teams start positioning themselves for the draft. But all that early talk that this is a weak draft is quickly being dispelled. There is a lot of talent available in the top 50 picks and the suggestion that we trade away Winnipeg's first pick in an aggressive effort to jump start our re-build is, in this writer's opinion, off target.

If anything, we should be moving up in this target rich draft.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
After watching the war that is the Florida/Boston series, I can really see Hughes taking Sennecke if Lindstrom goes early. Some of my senior hockey staff are saying not to be surprised if Sennecke goes before 5 OA.

They know more than I do. But they also said that Parekh would be going in the top ten. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to be wrong.

But much can change over the next 6 weeks as teams start positioning themselves for the draft. But all that early talk that this is a weak draft is quickly being dispelled. There is a lot of talent available in the top 50 picks and the suggestion that we trade away Winnipeg's first pick in an aggressive effort to jump start our re-build is, in this writer's opinion, off target.

If anything, we should be moving up in this target rich draft.

Yes package winnipeg pick with calgary first pick next season (which will be floridas pick) and maybe add a b prospect to get another pick in the top 15. Many interesting forwards will be available

Reactions: Rozz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
How do we know all theee of these players, let alone any of them, are future core players?
Its projections. The same way you pick some players in the top 10 and others in the fourth round. If you can't identify which players have a probability of being impactful players when you are drafting in the top 5, its time that you find another line of work.

Probably something in retail sales.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
No chance we trade Mailloux. Mailloux could easily end up better than whoever we pick 12th.
Being one of his biggest boosters over the past few years (and taking a lot of flak for such support) if we have a chance to draft one of Buium, Dickinson or Yakemchuk in exchange for Mailloux, I'm doing it tomorrow.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
No chance we trade Mailloux. Mailloux could easily end up better than whoever we pick 12th.

I dunno man, I was just looking for something of value to offer up in hopes of moving up, and seeing how D is our deepest position of wealth, i figured Logan would be the one who would have the value and possibly expendable. I don't think Barron or Harris gets it done. I like Mallioux, but I'd love to round out our top 6 with two great picks in this draft.

A Lindstrom/Sennecke haul may just be worth it.

Caufield Suzuki Slafkovsky
Sennecke/Iginla Dach Lindstrom

Have fun dealing with that NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rozz and FloJack

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Being one of his biggest boosters over the past few years (and taking a lot of flak for such support) if we have a chance to draft one of Buium, Dickinson or Yakemchuk in exchange for Mailloux, I'm doing it tomorrow.

None of them except maybe Yakemchuk would be there at 12

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It seems that when we draft a top prospect with a medical concern it backfires on us. We screwed the pooch by not taking Tkachuk. I’d go with Iggy

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I'm thinking it would be costly to move up. but we certainly have the capital do do it. I'm all for it! Do your thing Hughes!!

Just don't use Guhle to do it. Mailloux is fine if need be.
Something creative around one of the two 1st Rounders for next season, and Winnipeg's 1st this year, was what I was already thinking and spit balling to friends. I have no idea myself, but like you said, the capital is there, especially if they want to get creative and there are willing partners.

Not sure if it's just the current pre-draft hype getting to me, but two of the top 14 sounds pretty enticing at the moment.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I don't see them moving up to get Lindstrom because there's just not enough seperation with the other forwards, and there would still be a 50/50 chance Columbus doesn't take him.

But if Chicago doesn't take Demidov then I could see a strong push to trade with Anaheim to grab him.

Reactions: Rozz and HabbyGuy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't see them moving up to get Lindstrom because there's just not enough seperation with the other forwards, and there would still be a 50/50 chance Columbus doesn't take him.

But if Chicago doesn't take Demidov then I could see a strong push to trade with Anaheim to grab him.
Agreed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Its projections. The same way you pick some players in the top 10 and others in the fourth round. If you can't identify which players have a probability of being impactful players when you are drafting in the top 5, its time that you find another line of work.

Probably something in retail sales.

yes, they project to hopefully be core players, which is different than actually being future core players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad