GDT: 3/8/18 - 7:30PM EDT - New York Rangers vs Tampa Bay

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They don't care. Watch what happens in the playoffs, the games right now are a bad measuring stick.

Well, other top teams give their all to build confidence and put themselves in a good position for the playoffs. If I'm Cooper, I'd scratch anybody not playing at 100%.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It was a win. That's all that matters. But the choice of who to keep out of the playoffs is going to be tough. Erne, Cirelli, Peca, etc. have all made a case to be up here, but I think it's between Erne and Cirelli who stays through the run (hopefully both).

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Well, other top teams give their all to build confidence and put themselves in a good position for the playoffs. If I'm Cooper, I'd scratch anybody not playing at 100%.

I don't think Cooper is that concerned either.

The Bruins games actually mean something, so we'll see how hard they play then.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
People put way too much weight on regular season. Just last year the Preds, who were the last team in the whole league to make the playoffs, almost won the Cup.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
People put way too much weight on regular season. Just last year the Preds, who were the last team in the whole league to make the playoffs, almost won the Cup.

...and why do you think those Preds are so desperate now to win as many games as possible?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
In defense of Koekkoek look at career TOI in minutes:

Sustr: 5220
Dotchin: 1386
Sergachev: 1063
Koekkoek: 881

Yes, Koekkoek can look lost out there at times, but the guy has had very little playing time in comparison with our other lower level defensemen and what playing time he has gotten has been irregular, unsheltered, and often with subpar partners; after bad games and even good ones he’ll find himself sitting in the press box for weeks at a time. Meanwhile Sustr has been with the team for years and still sucks, Dotchin has played regularly with Hedman and still sucks, and Sergachev has enjoyed regular and sheltered minutes with Stralman. The Lightning have completely botched Koekkoek’s development.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT

Yes, Koekkoek can look lost out there at times, but the guy has had very little playing time in comparison with our other lower level defensemen and what playing time he has gotten has been irregular, unsheltered, and often with subpar partners; after bad games and even good ones he’ll find himself sitting in the press box for weeks at a time. Meanwhile Sustr has been with the team for years and still sucks, Dotchin has played regularly with Hedman and still sucks, and Sergachev has enjoyed regular and sheltered minutes with Stralman. The Lightning have completely botched Koekkoek’s development.
Pretty weak argument. His ice time is limited because he plays like he played tonight. Lost.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

There's only one season (last year) where he played well enough to make it onto opening night roster, he deserved to be in the AHL every other year and got small call-ups. He didn't outplay the AHL level in any of his early years nor did he make it impossible to leave him off the roster. And when he did get a chance last year when called up he blew his shot and they sent him back down, they didn't completely botch anything except the draft pick- he's had tons of oppertunity this year to take the job as well.

Reactions: The Macho Man

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Because they can not afford to give up home ice to Vegas. That's deadly.

I truly do not see what is such a big deal about the Knights home ice advantage. It's really THAT hard to not go on all night benders in Vegas during the playoffs? I'm not saying that was your implication, I'm only trying to say it's deadly if you allow it to be

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
First period was amazing. Not sure the Rangers knew what to do with that. Cirelli and Erne played their best in a Lightning sweater in the first. They played fantastic tonight. Still laughing at the "he has no assists" argument for Erne. He's been more of an impact and provided a spark on the forecheck, something we lack, more than that of Paquette (who also played great tonight) all season long. I would not scratch either one until they look in over their head. Cirelli is very smart and has already chipped in. Erne on the other hand is getting a bit more confortable. He doesn't just wrap it back to the point or backhand it down low every time, he's actually trying to make plays. Looks like his confidence is up. Hoping he can grow on this one.

Nice to see Vlad again.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, we phoned a big chunk of the game in, but I'm not too bothered by it. Better to do it with a 5-1 lead than a 2-1 lead, which we've been known to do.

I like the lines right now, particularly that 3rd line. Those kids are hungry. Might as well put them together and feed off the energy.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
There were reports that teams were asking for Koekkoek earlier this year. Unless the offers were for cap dumps and 7th round picks, pretty lame if we want him but don't want him

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm happy we won but I still feel a bit empty? The first half of that game was absolute domination. Then it just seems like we kind of just figured 5 would do it and decided to hold on for dear life for the second half.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm happy we won but I still feel a bit empty? The first half of that game was absolute domination. Then it just seems like we kind of just figured 5 would do it and decided to hold on for dear life for the second half.
Can't really blame 'em IMO. 2 points were pretty much safe, why keep the foot on the gas and risk injuries. I mean, it would be nice to see them go out and play a full 60 minute game but with the playoffs looming over our heads it's all about results, getting points, securing #1 seed and not getting injured - no matter how pretty or as seen lately no matter how ugly and close it gets.

From a business point of view this could kinda harm the product but with the league's top point getter, the league's best offense, one of the best goalies and defensemen, as long as they stay #1 and ensure a playoff spot most if not all fans will come back, even if they only get half a game for their money during the rest of the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad