GDT: 3/8/18 - 7:30PM EDT - New York Rangers vs Tampa Bay

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Are we actually comparing Erne to Brown? Good grief. Erne does stuff with the puck.

In my case I’m just saying his floor (if his offense doesn’t improve at all from its current level) is a bigger, more effective Brown. Personally I think he can be better than that.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
In my case I’m just saying his floor (if his offense doesn’t improve at all from its current level) is a bigger, more effective Brown. Personally I think he can be better than that.
I agree. He's already an upgrade offensively, and he doesn't really need to improve too much defensively to make that a wash.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Are we actually comparing Erne to Brown? Good grief. Erne does stuff with the puck.

Good grief, 3 points in 15 games is 16 through a season, his career pace is 12 points a season, JT Brown at the same age had 19 in 63 with a more rounded game. So yes fair to say Erne has yet to surpass Brown as a Lightning.

When he does "stuff with the puck" that translates in the scoresheet we can talk.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Apparently not enough because he has 0 assists.

Therefore, Erne must be bad.

Adam "I have no assists" Erne

It'd be funny if it wasn't sad. 40 games in a top-9 role on a good offense with 0 assists. Just lol. Sustr the whipping boy produces better than that, yeah let that sink in.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You were one of the loudest critics about Point heading down to Syracuse. What's your laughable hot take now? That Erne will be the next Paquette / Brown? As always ... you are out in left field.

Wouldn't have stunted his development if he did, 1st year pro with AHL eligability who was playing out of position wouldn't have benefitted from a top line role in the AHL at his natural postion? Oh yes the hindsight argument, I'm sure you can find posts of yourself predicting Point producing a .9PPG in his 2nd year in the NHL because you saw this massive jump in development. Please go ahead and find it.

Didn't you just guarantee a guy who couldn't even score 30 AHL points for 45 in the NHL.. yeah talk about left field.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It'd be funny if it wasn't sad. 40 games in a top-9 role on a good offense with 0 assists. Just lol. Sustr the whipping boy produces better than that, yeah let that sink in.

He has the same amount of goals in 11 less games this year. In comparison to other forwards - not defenseman that have over 400 games played and have been in the league for years - he is doing fine. Sure he's not flashy but I think you're being a bit unrealistic in your expectations. Not every player is going to have breakthroughs like our forward group has had the past 4-5 years. He hits, he can provide the odd goal and isn't a liability out there. He's almost 23 with half a season under his belt.

You seem really hung up on him not having an assist. Hypothetical, next game he gets an assist, what are you going to find to harp on his game? No fighting majors in 40 games? It really is quite comical that the notion of him being (whatever you are implying about him) subpar because he doesn't have an assist yet is really weird.

I don't think he will become a top 6 forward but if he's somebody we can shuffle around in the bottom 6 - until he's outplayed - then what's it matter? He's playing better than what we saw out of Paquette and Brown the last two seasons, yet your peeve with the guy is his zero assists? Really?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Good grief, 3 points in 15 games is 16 through a season, his career pace is 12 points a season, JT Brown at the same age had 19 in 63 with a more rounded game. So yes fair to say Erne has yet to surpass Brown as a Lightning.

When he does "stuff with the puck" that translates in the scoresheet we can talk.
He has 3 goals in 15 games. Find me the last 15 game span where Brown did that for us. You'd probably have to go back several years.

And scoring on Lundquist is generally considered by most experts to be doing stuff with the puck. The NHL agrees apparently, because they added that goal to their official scoresheet.

Erne's earning his ice time right now. That's what matters. Plus, there's no doubt in my mind that if Coop keeps him and Cirelli together, then those assists will start piling up.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
And scoring on Lundquist is generally considered by most experts to be doing stuff with the puck. The NHL agrees apparently, because they added that goal to their official scoresheet.
Paquette also scored against Hank.

Reactions: The Macho Man

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
People here generally liked paquette, until he couldn’t stay healthy. Brown was also welcomed, until he lost his scoring touch. Let’s let Erne fail, before we call him a failure?

Reactions: Bolt 45

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He has the same amount of goals in 11 less games this year. In comparison to other forwards - not defenseman that have over 400 games played and have been in the league for years - he is doing fine. Sure he's not flashy but I think you're being a bit unrealistic in your expectations. Not every player is going to have breakthroughs like our forward group has had the past 4-5 years. He hits, he can provide the odd goal and isn't a liability out there. He's almost 23 with half a season under his belt.

You seem really hung up on him not having an assist. Hypothetical, next game he gets an assist, what are you going to find to harp on his game? No fighting majors in 40 games? It really is quite comical that the notion of him being (whatever you are implying about him) subpar because he doesn't have an assist yet is really weird.

I don't think he will become a top 6 forward but if he's somebody we can shuffle around in the bottom 6 - until he's outplayed - then what's it matter? He's playing better than what we saw out of Paquette and Brown the last two seasons, yet your peeve with the guy is his zero assists? Really?

Huh the assist thing is more a joke relative to the 6 points in 40 games in a top-9 role you're the one more hung up on that like you take offense to it. I don't care if he picks up an assist the point is his production in general.. it's 4th line material and we already have a great 4th line.

Who's asking for PPG production? Even 30-40 point pace like Namesnitkov did in the same role would've been fine. I think more realistic to expect better from a huge 2nd round prospect who's been in the system for 5 years. I guess my gripe is "damn I thought Erne would be better" and yours is "yay we got a glorified 4th liner"

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho Man

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's misleading to call it a top-9 role like he's had a big opportunity when he's generally under 10 minutes per night.

Reactions: Stammertime91

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Huh the assist thing is more a joke relative to the 6 points in 40 games in a top-9 role you're the one more hung up on that like you take offense to it. I don't care if he picks up an assist the point is his production in general.. it's 4th line material and we already have a great 4th line.

Who's asking for PPG production? Even 30-40 point pace like Namesnitkov did in the same role would've been fine. I think more realistic to expect better from a huge 2nd round prospect who's been in the system for 5 years. I guess my gripe is "damn I thought Erne would be better" and yours is "yay we got a glorified 4th liner"
This is true, I guess I just never expected much from Erne. So I’m excited that he’s here, doesn’t look out of place, and is turning into a shot blocking Callahan clone.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is true, I guess I just never expected much from Erne. So I’m excited that he’s here, doesn’t look out of place, and is turning into a shot blocking Callahan clone.

I had pretty high hopes for Erne, so I guess it's a matter of perspective. Like I said, if he just becomes a 4th liner that's fine too but he'll likely be outplayed by others coming up if that's all he becomes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think it's misleading to call it a top-9 role like he's had a big opportunity when he's generally under 10 minutes per night.

He didn't play on the 4th line last year and he isn't this year, so yes - he's in a sheltered 3rd line role which is actually a better oppertunity for him to take off and show us what he's got and he's done pretty much that. A guy who uses his size well and can shield the puck but doesn't create offense. Did you want him in a top-6 role with PP time right off the bat? Finishing ability becomes critical in that role, it is the exact same criticism that Callahan gets when Cooper slots him there except Callahan is better offensively...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He didn't play on the 4th line last year and he isn't this year, so yes - he's in a sheltered 3rd line role which is actually a better oppertunity for him to take off and show us what he's got and he's done pretty much that. A guy who uses his size well and can shield the puck but doesn't create offense. Did you want him in a top-6 role with PP time right off the bat? Finishing ability becomes critical in that role, it is the exact same criticism that Callahan gets when Cooper slots him there except Callahan is better offensively...

...No. I'm just saying, he plays on the 3rd line, but up until recently, he's played 4th line minutes. And even if the progress is slow, there's definitely progress. I doubt he becomes a top-6 forward, but he's looking like he can be a solid physical presence in the bottom-6, and he's showing us a little more in every game.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Yeah, who is asking for PPG production? Cause it wasn't me. You're just strawman'ing your rebuttal. Your issue is you have really high expectations, or had, for him. I dont. Him being a physical presence in the bottom 6, primarily on the 4th at a low cap hit while not being fully developed is not an issue. That's perfectly fine until he's played out of the lineup. He's basically a winger version of Paquette at the moment with a little more speed and decent hands. I doubt he turns out to more than a 3rd liner - wherever he ends up - but ragging on the guy because of his lack of assists was a talking point used to put him down the other day. That's weak.

I'm not hung up on anything, I just find it laughable you either expect him to be an immediate top 9 add, which is unrealistic given his history, or that he sucks by constantly noting his lack of assists.

I think it boils down to what you expect from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad