Prospect Info: 2nd Round Daniel Torgersson, LW, Frolunda JR

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Scouting reports make him sound like a forward analog of Logan Stanley. I think this goes into the long term project column.
Eh. Like Stanley his ranking is all over the place, and he's described as "a good skater for his size". But Stanley had 17 points in his draft year, Torgersson was one of the better producers (and goal scorers) in the Superelit. And a good skater at 6'3 is very different from a "good" skater at 6'7.

He's in an awkward position team wise. Frölunda is a really good team this year, which would limit his TOI with them, but I don't know how much he'll gain from playing another season with the J20.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm guessing we're waiting to see how he performs in the SHL this season then.;)

Did you weigh in on the Perfetti pick?

Most likely will help get a better idea on him. Success from SWE Jr leagues are hard to project.

I can't speak to what I know because my stuff is all proprietary and not public. So I didn't personally weigh in on the pick. I did point out the numbers are really good for him looking at public models. :)

EjvXqvZXkAADcwM

boom or bust in a statistical sense: high average comps but low probability

To give some context, nuance, etc...

Let's assume this model is perfect, which it is not. This model is not perfect. We already know that data is missing in these lower leagues that would greatly help them (like the stuff we have in the NHL) but also even given the data we have it's not perfect. In fact, if you look at Twitter the day prior to the draft I talked to Sam about how to improve it.

Now I'll compare to Gunler since it's another SWE W and drafted back to back. This model suggests two comparisons between Gunler and Torgersson... 1) It suggests players that have performed liked Gunler are almost 2x more likely to make the NHL. 2) When exclusively looking at those that made the NHL, Gunler types most likely become 3rd liners while Torgersson most likely become 2nd liners.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ranked #31 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #70 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #27 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #114 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #13 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #33 by DOBBERPROSPECTS/ROBINSON
Ranked #53 by TSN/McKenzie

Some rated him as a late 1st rounder, some rated him to be a 3rd or 4th rounder. We all know that the 2nd round is a crap shoot and you take a risk with your selection. Interesting that Jeremie Poirier the best offensive defenseman is still available.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Most likely will help get a better idea on him. Success from SWE Jr leagues are hard to project.

I can't speak to what I know because my stuff is all proprietary and not public. So I didn't personally weigh in on the pick. I did point out the numbers are really good for him looking at public models. :)

To give some context, nuance, etc...

Let's assume this model is perfect, which it is not. This model is not perfect. We already know that data is missing in these lower leagues that would greatly help them (like the stuff we have in the NHL) but also even given the data we have it's not perfect. In fact, if you look at Twitter the day prior to the draft I talked to Sam about how to improve it.

Now I'll compare to Gunler since it's another SWE W and drafted back to back. This model suggests two comparisons between Gunler and Torgersson... 1) It suggests players that have performed liked Gunler are almost 2x more likely to make the NHL. 2) When exclusively looking at those that made the NHL, Gunler types most likely become 3rd liners while Torgersson most likely become 2nd liners.
Is the greater uncertainty about a player like Torgersson partly driven by the league in which he's achieved his results? Less precise due to wider variance and smaller sample size?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
He seems like a really solid pick, very nice

Button is of course going to keep gushing about the jets drafting especially after this years top 2 so far

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I thought the following line from the scouting report was super-concerning:

"Nonetheless, Torgersson makes every shift count and his ridiculous league-leading shooting percentage (31.7 percent) is a testament to that."

I hope that info about shooting percentage is incorrect or mis-contextualized, if not I am worried.

Edit: Maybe he's referring to SH% from this season which is still fairly young? Hard to find official stats for swedish jr league

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I thought the following line from the scouting report was super-concerning:

"Nonetheless, Torgersson makes every shift count and his ridiculous league-leading shooting percentage (31.7 percent) is a testament to that."

I hope that info about shooting percentage is incorrect or mis-contextualized, if not I am worried.

Edit: Maybe he's referring to SH% from this season which is still fairly young? Hard to find official stats for swedish jr league
It's from last season. This season he's at 12% so far. I agree that it's a worrisome sign, but I'm also guessing that the Jets' analysis went deeper than "he scored many goals".

Reactions: JetsFan815

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I worked at a Boston Pizza as a teenager.

My manager told me due to the bulk ordering of ingredients, a large pepperoni pizza cost 10 cents.

We charged the customers $27 to pay for salaries, rent, utilities, supplies, insurance, etc.

Not to be pedantic (yes to be pedantic) but the pepperoni pizza contained 10 cents worth of raw flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, herbs/spices, cheese, and pepperoni.

Turning them into a pizza cost far more than that in labour.

Yes, I realize that was your entire point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad