GDT: #21| Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | November 24th 7:00 PM | F/SOW 1-0

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Watch any number of the shots on net. The quality of Islander shots was fairly low. We dominated possession, we kept the shots against to a respectable number, but finishing was a huge issue.

Physically though, this club looked solid. Or Philly is smaller (they are).

The defense is doing a very good job of moving the puck though, the best they've ever been by a factor of 10.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
What are you talking about? We completely dominated and ran into a very strong goaltender. That happens sometimes.

Seems to me that running into a goaltender on a hot night is a pretty good excuse for not scoring any goals. All teams get shutout sometimes. It happens.

Are you saying our team is bad?

What exactly is your point?

My point is that we were lucky to win that game. If we only scored 1-2 goals, fine. But scoring 0 there's no excuse for. Period.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Watch any number of the shots on net. The quality of Islander shots was fairly low. We dominated possession, we kept the shots against to a respectable number, but finishing was a huge issue.

The defense is doing a very good job of moving the puck though, the best they've ever been by a factor of 10.

Shhhhhhhhh! Don't be a negative Nancy! :sarcasm:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

While they didn't have much luck with the quality of shots, I do like them shooting - skaters on their heels make for an opponent with their hands full. On other nights against a goalie in god-mode, some of those go in, I think.

There were at least half a dozen times the puck made it within the paint of the blueline and someone kept the puck in the zone and sustained an attack.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Shhhhhhhhh! Don't be a negative Nancy! :sarcasm:
lol. I think some folks misread what you were trying to say, but I could be wrong. I could take 100 shots from the blueline, laying the hardest slap shots I've ever had, and an NHL level goaltender will stop every one. Mostly last game, we found chest protector.

While they didn't have much luck with the quality of shots, I do like them shooting - skaters on their heels make for an opponent with their hands full. On other nights against a goalie in god-mode, some of those go in, I think.

There were at least half a dozen times the puck made it within the paint of the blueline and someone kept the puck in the zone and sustained an attack.
There is no bad shot. 100% agree on that, but last game even Nabby could have had a shut out against us.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
lol. I think some folks misread what you were trying to say, but I could be wrong. I could take 100 shots from the blueline, laying the hardest slap shots I've ever had, and an NHL level goaltender will stop every one. Mostly last game, we found chest protector.

There is no bad shot. 100% agree on that, but last game even Nabby could have had a shut out against us.

I agree to some extent, a lot of missed shots. But something new has been added to the attack which some visiting announcers have pointed out and which I always wondered why we didn't do. The Isles shoot or throw the puck at net from a lot of angles looking for deflections. We used to shoot only straight on, now we are looking for sticks in front (ours and theirs) if a clean lane is not open. I really like that kind of attack as opposed to chip it behind and hope to get it.

Last edited:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Carping on shot quality?

There were about 8-10 HUGE rebound opportunities. NYI were just unlucky none of them found their sticks.

Mason was in position, anticipating the play all night long.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i love that they are shooting. nary a goal has gone in, that wasn't shot.

i saw a very good display of team defence, by both teams. not the most fun to watch, but defence is often overlooked, as it lacks glamour. not sure what the scoring chances were, but it seemed fairly close.

when a player looks up at the shot clock and sees that his team is being outshot 2-1, it is a bit disheartening. and vice-versa.

we were lucky to win? uh-uh, Nancy. our boys worked hard and played well. they deserved it.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
i love that they are shooting. nary a goal has gone in, that wasn't shot.

i saw a very good display of team defence, by both teams. not the most fun to watch, but defence is often overlooked, as it lacks glamour. not sure what the scoring chances were, but it seemed fairly close.

when a player looks up at the shot clock and sees that his team is being outshot 2-1, it is a bit disheartening. and vice-versa.

we were lucky to win? uh-uh, Nancy. our boys worked hard and played well. they deserved it.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." - Wayne Gretzky

(drops the mike)

(walks off arms in the air)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad