GDT: #21| Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | November 24th 7:00 PM | F/SOW 1-0

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The Canadian NAM if you want to call it that just went nuts

First of all, excellent win Isles!

Secondly, I saw that. The NAM was SLIGHTLY warmer aloft around 700 mb with 700 my temps at KFRG (farmingdale) going a little above freezing... Would indicate some kinda mixing with sleet if you assume its snow (which most of the column save for the absolute lowest part) would suggest

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
First of all, excellent win Isles!

Secondly, I saw that. The NAM was SLIGHTLY warmer aloft around 700 mb with 700 my temps at KFRG (farmingdale) going a little above freezing... Would indicate some kinda mixing with sleet if you assume its snow (which most of the column save for the absolute lowest part) would suggest

540 line stays well west till after the heavy stuff moves east.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I hope everyone gets to experience the atmosphere at the Coli this year it has been awesome and growing each game.... fourth line was great tonight.. on edge the whole time.. mason was amazing.. only downsides as I am sure many pointed out were the turnovers by JT and the comic relief (not funny to me) of Strait.. Kid Line looked good and was happy others joined with me in shouting down a Bailey heckler since i think he had a heck of a game (Not sure if all the little things show up on TV but he had so many little plays the sustained Ozone or gained possession for us tonight)..

Looking forward to wednesday now.. 15-6 somebody pinch me...

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
540 line stays well west till after the heavy stuff moves east.

Yeah, but my problem with the 540 DM thickness line in this situation is that it is basically a proxy of the mean temperature of the column between 1000 and 500 mb. The thicknesses are high, but looking at soundings (at least the GFS and NAM) they show much of the column is below freezing.

The reason thicknesses are high is because, while a lot of the column is below freezing, it's either isothermal or even rising with height. Thickness is a great tool, but it isn't end all be all IMO.

In the end, if I was making an official forecast for LI it would be for mostly rain with some snow towards the end but something doesn't sit right with me... I think this storm has the potential to over perform snow-wise assuming a nam or GFS like track were to verify... Again, just a bad feeling though, not forecasting that

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Yeah, but my problem with the 540 DM thickness line in this situation is that it is basically a proxy of the mean temperature of the column between 1000 and 500 mb. The thicknesses are high, but looking at soundings (at least the GFS and NAM) they show much of the column is below freezing.

The reason thicknesses are high is because, while a lot of the column is below freezing, it's either isothermal or even rising with height. Thickness is a great tool, but it isn't end all be all IMO.

In the end, if I was making an official forecast for LI it would be for mostly rain with some snow towards the end but something doesn't sit right with me... I think this storm has the potential to over perform snow-wise assuming a nam or GFS like track were to verify... Again, just a bad feeling though, not forecasting that

lol, I know. I am a meteorologist for the NWS.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I hope everyone gets to experience the atmosphere at the Coli this year it has been awesome and growing each game.... fourth line was great tonight.. on edge the whole time.. mason was amazing.. only downsides as I am sure many pointed out were the turnovers by JT and the comic relief (not funny to me) of Strait.. Kid Line looked good and was happy others joined with me in shouting down a Bailey heckler since i think he had a heck of a game (Not sure if all the little things show up on TV but he had so many little plays the sustained Ozone or gained possession for us tonight)..

I am really glad we are trending towards a proper send off. Too many of our ny stadiums have gone out with a whimper lately.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
lol, I know. I am a meteorologist for the NWS.

Ahhhh that's awesome! Come to think of it, I think I remember that from a few threads ago now that you mention it... Sorry about that, didn't mean to come across as pompous or a jerk or whatnot haha.

Do you work at Upton? Or at another office? What are your thoughts for the system?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I'm heading back to New York for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'll be at the game on Wednesday and again against the Devils on Saturday. Really hope for a good atmosphere and some wins.

I thought Tavares played really well tonight for the most part. Bailey was really good again, definitely created a lot opportunities and helped to keep the Flyers pinned in their own end for extended shifts. The whole offense was doing well tonight...despite not scoring.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
booing MacDonald was my only complaint of the game, must have been embarrassing for him in front of his new teammates, no logic in booing him since he was traded

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I mean its just so weird seeing a team this good everynight. Man we are good.

Im really starting to think that until we blow it ourselves every game is ours to lose. We are just so money right now. Bring on the caps. Wed night will be sold out and rocking as its thanskgiving break and ill be there!

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
If you get a chance go read what the rangers scum has to say about our team on the main boards. Whens the next NyR game so they can act like its there stanley cup bc we all know they never get there again. Mutants.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
It wasn't that loud on TV, hardly anything noticeable. WEre you at the game? From home it seemed only a small % of fans were doing it.

it was noticeable at the game, not like loud booing as if the refs just cost us the game, but definitely noticeable where I can guarantee the players heard it

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

I noticed Bailey in a very positive way. Took the body more aggressively than I have seen in 5 years, had his stick in great position on the ice, doing all the good things a coach wants away from the puck, also made a few good offensive moves. Looked a bit quicker and much more engaged, alert, more like a mini-Kulemin who is an incredible player for us. Every forward is on alert now with Grabs ready to return, which is a great thing for the team. Play hard or sit.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I'm heading back to New York for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'll be at the game on Wednesday and again against the Devils on Saturday. Really hope for a good atmosphere and some wins.

I thought Tavares played really well tonight for the most part. Bailey was really good again, definitely created a lot opportunities and helped to keep the Flyers pinned in their own end for extended shifts. The whole offense was doing well tonight...despite not scoring.
iLand, as my post above says, I noticed Bailey playing the way we want Bailey to play. He is not going to be a 70 point scorer, but he is doing everything else very well, or did last night, including taking the body aggressively. Very pleased with his contribution, it is similar to but not as good as Kulemin, which is a compliment because the Cool one is outstanding game in and game out.

Tavares on the other hand is still in a struggle and may have regressed in parts of his game. He is playing hard, trying, but can not get a puck past a goalie guarding his net. He loses way to many pucks on unforced errors, makes blind passes, and has problems receiving passes on his stick on the rush.
The Tavares we have seen the past 20 games is not elite, not one of the superstars of the NHL in any way. KO had a monster game. If he starts to score JT's point totals will rise, but it would be KO leading JT, not the other way around.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
booing MacDonald was my only complaint of the game, must have been embarrassing for him in front of his new teammates, no logic in booing him since he was traded
Totally classless, but I didn't expect anything different. They would boo him when he was playing for us. The guy was a good soldier for us. Every player has their different strengths and weaknesses. As long as they are playing hard every night and giving the team 100% then they should get respect for it. I'm sure his friends on the Islanders were embarrassed by the fans response. It's really disgrace and every fan should be embarrassed.

Last edited:

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I was at the game and I think heard some boos for MacDonald, but it wasn't loud at all.

I don't get the boos for MacDonald anyway, some of our fans are so dumb.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
it was noticeable at the game, not like loud booing as if the refs just cost us the game, but definitely noticeable where I can guarantee the players heard it

Did they give him a little video montage during a timeout? They did that for Streit last year and he got a nice ovation. AMac deserves that - he was a good soldier for a lot of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad